CDC Has Ended Covid Program For Cruise Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
Anyone see/read the articles by Nathan Diller of USA Today regarding the CDC and cruising? Also that Norwegian has ended their pre-cruise Covid testing?

There's a pretty good discussion happening here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-cdc-program-for-cruise-ships-is-no-longer-in-effect.3890179/

EDIT: Also, as of now, Norwegian has only ended their pre-cruise COVID testing for ships departing from European ports. They're still requiring testing for cruises departing from a U.S. port; Canadian port; or Piraeus, Greece. I wouldn't be surprised if they also remove testing for cruises departing from U.S. ports in the near future but they haven't done it as of 11:15am on 7/20.

Last edited:
Anyone see/read the articles by Nathan Diller of USA Today regarding the CDC and cruising? Also that Norwegian has ended their pre-cruise Covid testing?

I just read that. It is dropped if you cruise DOES NOT depart from the US Or Canada.

Last edited:

Here’s an excerpt from the article

Attachments

• 06F49852-CA5C-4CC9-A1D2-8439123B4402.jpeg
    06F49852-CA5C-4CC9-A1D2-8439123B4402.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 15
Check out the thread on the Wish Maiden Voyage. I can't see Disney dropping pre-cruise covid tests given what is going on on the Wish with covid right now.

That’s exactly why I think cruise lines will drop testing. If they aren’t testing they won’t know and there won’t be a spotlight on cases on cruise lines. You don’t hear about dozens of cases at theme parks or other destinations because they aren’t testing, not because people aren’t catching it those places. Everywhere else has embraced the approach of if we don’t test we don’t have a covid problem and I suspect at this point the cruise lines want to do the same.

That’s exactly why I think cruise lines will drop testing. If they aren’t testing they won’t know and there won’t be a spotlight on cases on cruise lines. You don’t hear about dozens of cases at theme parks or other destinations because they aren’t testing, not because people aren’t catching it those places. Everywhere else has embraced the approach of if we don’t test we don’t have a covid problem and I suspect at this point the cruise lines want to do the same.
Just my opinion, but that would be totally irresponsible.

Perhaps but it would also be inline with the approach almost the whole world is now taking with covid. I do not believe cruise lines have much appetite to be the outliers on that anymore.
Guess it depends on the situation where you live. I had a medical appointment yesterday, and they wouldn't let me in the building without a negative covid test before hand. So continuing what cruise lines have been doing IS inline with the whole world here.

Guess it depends on the situation where you live. I had a medical appointment yesterday, and they wouldn't let me in the building without a negative covid test before hand. So continuing what cruise lines have been doing IS inline with the whole world here.
We don’t even wear masks to drs appointments here anymore. What the cruise lines are doing right now is not in line with where we live.

We don’t even wear masks to drs appointments here anymore. What the cruise lines are doing right now is not in line with where we live.
My wife's cousin works at St. Josephs in Savannah. All their Doctors still require masks on patients

Keep in mind that's an anecdote. My kids pediatrician is part of a university system, and while the hospital that is a part of the university system requires mask, the pediatrician's off-campus location does not. This is in a blue state.

Keep in mind that's an anecdote. My kids pediatrician is part of a university system, and while the hospital that is a part of the university system requires mask, the pediatrician's off-campus location does not. This is in a blue state.
My allergist/rheumatologist office still require masks.

My wife's cousin works at St. Josephs in Savannah. All their Doctors still require masks on patients
In the last 2 weeks, a member of my family has seen our primary care provider and an orthopedic doctor. Masks are optional at both practices.

My 70+ year old parents went to their yearly checkup appointments last Monday. Masks were optional, but everyone had one on. Both caught covid that day, with masks. They went no where else the whole week. Obviously, masks do not stop the spread of covid. This new variant seems to get around all covid procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter