Changing mind about AKV

I'm having a hard time with this decision. We love AKL. My kids are not bored there. We were so excited when they announced AKV and the pricing therey are offering is great. But.....

We really don't need more points. I've run through our upcoming vacations for a few years and I can do everything we want by banking and borrowing.

I'm also a bit concerned about how close AKL will be to AKV. We love Boma and Mara and the allure will go down quite a bit if its too far to walk (or there is no walkway). I'd hate to buy in and find out that its really off by itself.

So for now, I am really hoping that there will be a walkway between the resorts, and that a 1 br savanna view in summer will be doable 7 months out.

If I had all the money in the world I would buy everywhere.. I am looking at now and IMO , AKV will sell out quick . It will be a tough place to get in , unless you go down in sept, oct every yr . The way I look at it , CRV is a rumor and probably will be out of my price range anyway if it ever comes.. That being said , this is what makes disneys 8 resorts great. You can pick what you like and buy your points there, but still hope to use the 7mth window and go to the other resorts.

I respectfully disagree with this. AKV will be large once compelte...almost as big as OKW and I do not think it will be difficult to get in at 7 months. Now, if you want concierge or value rooms...then, yeah, you will need the 11 month window and a host of angels to get those! :rotfl:

As for kids, I have 3...ages 4, 6, and 7...and they love AKL and don't get bored with the animals. Well, they might after a long while of it...but then we hit Uzima and that water slide...and all is wonderful! There is so much to do at AKL for kids, I think. The night time stories and the night vision goggles with the CMs, etc. Loads of fun...especially as they get older.

Hope this helps!

We bought DVC for us. Heck, we didn't even tell the kids that we owned DVC for the first 6 months! Just the two of us hanging in Disney! :hug:

The usual advice isn't "Buy where you think your kids will want to stay the most." It's "Buy where YOU want to stay the most!" Right? :)

I agree with this completely. I love my two kids, too, but they are not always going to live at home.

We bought DVC for us. Heck, we didn't even tell the kids that we owned DVC for the first 6 months! Just the two of us hanging in Disney! :hug:

Hee hee.

In truth, I'd bet most kids are just happy to be in Disney World. My niece went gaga for Pop Century and her parents were able to afford Contemporary and GF as well. Gues which one they preferred?

When my 10 and 5 yr old pony up the dollars for the points then they get a say! :thumbsup2

Now my eldest wasn't too happy that the waitlist to VWL came through. Then I showed him the pictures on the member website, "Okay it looks good".
He's going to WDW for a treat after state tests, as long as there is a pool and he get to ride that Ellen D./Bill Nye ride over at Epcot he's happy. Sure wouldn't have changed the ressie if he laid on the floor and banged his head.

Barring some natural disaster or something, I firmly believe that the CRV will be announced (officially) sometime in late 2008. I think they're doing all the ground work now and will start this same exact hype all over again - just like they're doing now with SSR being almost done & starting up AKV sales. There will be an overlap window as they finish up AKV & start CRV and everybody will be like "Oh dear! Where do I buy? What do I do? How many pts. will I need"?!?! Greenban will get all the scoop & post it in real time & everybody will live happily ever after!! :thumbsup2

Hi,
I'm trying really hard to bite my tongue and be open minded but when did we become so child focused in this world? Monorail access so that you have a more relaxing commute is one thing. But whether a child will be happy at any WDW resort triggers the crap out of me. Not just your post but there are so many on the DIS "Will my kids like _______?". I usually sigh and think who cares. But then again it's not about me, is it? :rolleyes:. Ie. none of my business, my issue and not your question. But I'm still am posting! Oh boy. I don't why it gets me so much!!!!

On my fridge: "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy" and "Rule #1: Mom is always right. Rule #2: if you think Mom is wrong, see rule #1" :lmao:

Guess where Mom loves??? AKL! Guess where kids love? AKL! For us, it plays into *MY* attitude about where we are going. DDs are NOT excited about staying at the WL for the weekend on our next trip, but once we learned about log cabin construction and spent some time looking at photos, they picked up on my enthusiasm.

A agree that CRV rumors are just rumors and IF there were one, it would be several years (heck, the new AKV won't open until 2009), so the child/monorail thing might not be that big a whoop. We absolutely ADORE the AKL b/c of it's quiet distance and we have had nothing but excellent, un-shared bus service every time we've been there. We've had a savanna view each stay, although I've only paid for it once, and it has been difficult tearing my now 8 & 10yos (OK and DH and myself) off the balcony for dinner or even a swim. It's great having them more interested in watching what the animals are going to do next rather than "what's on TV" at night. But, again, that's us, and you know your family's vacation preferences better than anybody.

Will 11 month window be need for 1 bedroom Sav. Room at 7 months ? If not, it would be easy decision.

I suspect not. I have noticed that historically the studio and two bedroom rooms fill up first (if the property has no Grand Villas). Smaller families may gravitate to the studios to save points, and the larger families need the two bedrooms because of the number of occupants. We tend to prefer the one bedroom size and have managed to get both BCV and VWL 1 bedrooms in the last year or two at the seven month window or less (we own at OKW).

Even so we are buying at VAK. The AK Lodge is our absolute favorite non-dvc property and the ability to get a guaranteed savannah view with 1 bedroom size is a real winner. Plus the possibility of concierge with relatively few points - as low as 13 for a studio vs the Disney Collection 50 points - is a real enticement. If one uses the fairly standard $10/point valuation this means the possibility of deluxe concierge for the price of a moderate. Way Cool !!

One thing I've learned about DVC is that what I *think* makes something my :cloud9: dream resort and what actually makes it the best resort for our family are not always the same thing.

AK is my favorite park after the MK. The theme of AKV apeals to me a million times more than any existing resort. I am very excited that they built a DVC there. However, despite the emotional pull of the idea of the resort, I am waiting and seeing.

I am concerned about the lack of easy early morning and evening options. I know there's the "cup of coffee/bottle of wine on the balcony as you watch the animals" thing, but that's not really going to happen for us.

I am concerned that AK closes so early, making it impossible to do another park morning, some back to the villas, and then spend a few hours or see a night-time show at AK. I think that, eventually, AK will be expanded and given later hours - but not in the near future. Resort-hopping for dining will be complicated by the location.

I am also worried about the bus system being overwhelmed by the volume of guests if busses are shared between the lodge and the villas. OKW or SSR busses could not handle being shared with the large number of people staying at a deluxe resort. Potentially, this could make arriving at a park at opening or for EMH a nightmare.

I do think we'll end up as owners of AKV, but I am leaning towards thinking we'll get a small contract and bank/borrow to stay there every now and then rather than once a year. I just think it's too early to tell how good - or not good - of a fit the resort will be.

I have completely changed my mind since the first post. DH convinced me that we should go ahead and get at least 100 pts. in AKV. We took relatives to BOMA last May and everyone was just ga-ga about AKL. At that time we wished we could DVC there, but we couldn't. And now we can! We purchased 2 50-pt contracts. We want the 11 month window!

I'm also a bit concerned about how close AKL will be to AKV. We love Boma and Mara and the allure will go down quite a bit if its too far to walk (or there is no walkway). I'd hate to buy in and find out that its really off by itself.

So for now, I am really hoping that there will be a walkway between the resorts, and that a 1 br savanna view in summer will be doable 7 months out.

I asked this question of a DVC salesperson recently. According to him, the new villas section will be about one-half mile from the main AKL building. A walkway is planned to connect the two areas.

I LOVE the theme of AKV but I have a problem with the location. I hope to stay there sometimes but I don't think I want points there. CR would be my very top choice for location- As long as MFs are reasonable- I will be first in line when/if that hits the market! I am going to start saving up right now for that one!

I asked this question of a DVC salesperson recently. According to him, the new villas section will be about one-half mile from the main AKL building. A walkway is planned to connect the two areas.

I bet the 1/2 mile figure is from the closest edge of the closest villa to the the closest edge of the lodge.

Are there plans for another restaurant in the new section? We think that Boma is the BOMB and would be worth a short walk but perhaps there will be another restaurant equally as good in the new building?! :goodvibes My DS (now 9) insists that the donuts at the Mara were the best he's ever had! It's been years since we were there & he still talks about THOSE donuts and wants to know when we can go back to get more donuts! So funny what kids remember isn't it? :laughing:

I bet the 1/2 mile figure is from the closest edge of the closest villa to the the closest edge of the lodge.

I would agree that sales people tend to paint the rosiest version of the picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter