• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Character meal for non-fans

I think a bigger problem is that, for the price they are paying, good food at Disney is rather ummmm... subjective.

I was hoping for more of a foodie experience, but was pleasantly surprised at MASSIVE AMOUNTS of greasy cheesy AMERICAN comfort food *gorge!*
Problem is, I gained 3 pounds and had to go on a sodium de-tox at home.

But if they are expecting artisan food then I don't think any restaurant on Disney Park property will satisfy that palate.
Which places had the best food (environment aside)?

There really isn't great food at most character meals. When you say "old" what does that mean? You might think about breakfast at Crystal Palace. It isnt quiet, but it isn't utter chaos either. And the characters are really easy to enjoy- even for people like me that has no interest in character interaction. It is pretty hard not to smile at Pooh bear, Tigger and Piglet. Those characters are a bit nostalgic for people that grew up in the 50s and 60s.

Tusker House would be my vote. It doesn't have quite the same feel as some of the other character meals which they'll probably appreciate and the food is good. I can't say much about the noise level since I was only once for it was closer to midday, to be honest. But it wasn't overly loud when I went.

"Good" food is subjective to the person eating, IMO. To some, greasy quick service nuggets and pizza at every meal is good. To others, new and exotic flavors is good. And yet to others, a solid meat/potato meal is good.

My parents, in the later half of the 70s age wise, came with us on our last trip (this past August). They, too, like quieter places with "good" food.

"Good" to them is well seasoned (i.e., a bit salty, not bland...spicy is ok but nothing exotic), and a variety meat/fish choices.

They really enjoyed their sandwich at BoG lunch...but found the setting chaotic. They thought Biergarten was decent...but found the setting much too loud (I wouldn't have normally booked them an ADR there, but we were meeting up with family members for a celebration). They enjoyed their meal at CRT and found the princesses and whole experience very low key and relaxing. They loved GF Cafe and had two meals there and also enjoyed a breakfast buffet at The Wave.

There are many "good" places at WDW that they'd not enjoy. Tiffins, Boma, and anyplace with sushi would be way too exotic for them. Signatures would be "ok", but frankly, they'd rather pasta at GF Cafe than prime rib at Yachtsman.

If I were taking my parents to a character breakfast, knowing their preferences, I'd chose Crystal Palace...the food would be to their liking, and I don't find CP to be too noisy or overwhelming. They like to have choices, so I'd avoid family style breakfasts with them.

OP, you know your older family members best...just think about what their definition of "good" is and go from there.

My in laws took my brother and sister in law and their kids to WDW a few summers ago. My MIL asked for my help with planning things the kids would like. My FIL was in the restaurant business and is VERY picky about food and service and he can be very grumpy with crowds. In spite of this I recommended Chef Mickey's. I though the kids would get a kick out of going into the cool looking Contemporary Hotel and watching the monorail go by. We were all worried about how my FIL would react but, I swear, the magic at WDW can make people surprise you. He texted me that night to thank me for recommending Chef Mickey's. He said they all had an amazing time and really enjoyed it. My own father was someone the same. He could be very grumpy in loud, rushed restaurants. My parents went to WDW with a few times though and my dad LOVED all the character meals we went to. Never complained about ANYTHING. Again, I attribute that to WDW Magic. Go where you think your 8 year old will enjoy it the most. I find that when relatives see the kids are having fun it helps them loosen up and enjoy it too.

Which places had the best food (environment aside)?
I will agree with Garden Grill. I would only recommend Crystal Palace for breakfast if they aren't too fussy about breakfast food.

Also I have heard very nice things about 1900 Park Fare /Grand Floridian and Trattoria al Forno's character breakfast.

We've done a bunch of character meals and Garden Grill has been the calmest by far. It was fairly relaxing for us as the parents, but the character interaction was also good enough to prompt my kids to include it among their favorites as well.

I'm shocked at the suggestions of Tusker House. While this is one of the better meals it is also one of the loudest (only Chef Mickey's was louder to us). I think if someone wanted "quiet" TH is the last place to go. The design of the restaurant, with the open rafters, makes it seem even louder than it is. I often describe it that I couldn't hear myself think.
Cape May was quiet but I can't call the food good.
Really, Garden Grill is the only character meal I would suggest you take them to based on what you've described about them thus far.
I imagine all the others will be met with massive complaints from them, due to noise levels, general chaos and poor food quality in general on the buffets. Or some combination of those items
A 2nd choice, and it's a distant 2nd choice, is Ohana's breakfast. I think it's still fairly loud but the food has been quite good.
We are trying Tratoria for the first time next weekend. I suspect it will fit the requirements also

Another vote for Garden Grill! We went last year with our extended-family group of 13 people aged 7-70. Everybody loved it! It really was much quieter than our other character meals (Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey).

We are trying Tratoria for the first time next weekend. I suspect it will fit the requirements also

I can't believe I didn't think of this - yes, we really loved our food here as well. Huge portions and tasted good.

i don't think any of the character meals are very quiet.... but i would say Tratoria Al Forno isn't too loud.

I am gonna vote for Garden Grill as well. I just did this meal yesterday as my first time. It was full, but you would never had known. Very quiet. We were on the upper level. I had my son who had never seen characters before, so it was a great way to introduce him without it being crazy. They ended up stopping 2x at our table. I agree put the non character people in the back and they wont have to interact other than maybe a wave. The food was also GREAT! Highly recommend this to anyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter