• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Child with disability

Allentimes4

Earning My Ears
Has anyone traveled on the Disney cruise with a child with a disability? My son is six but is mentally retarded/autistic. He does not require a wheelchair, but requires assistance keeping on tasks. Is there much for him to do in way of children's programming?

Any feedback is appreciated. We are cruising in December 2003 for seven days.

Thanks,

Welcome to the DIS! WebmasterMichelle has posted a thread on this board with the guidelines for entrance into the children's programs. I have provided a link below so you can easily view. You may also want to visit our DISabilities Board here on the DIS where you may find parents with similar experiences, too. Good luck!

click here to view Program Guidelines

My DS was 13 when we took our first DCL cruise. He has Down Syndrome. I called before we went and they noted it. The cast members in OL were fine with him being there providing he didn't need 1 to 1 attention. They said I could pick what age group I thought he would do best in 10 - 12 or 8 - 9. I just didn't want him in CG because they can come and go there. My son mostly wanted to swim so he didn't spend much time in the kids program. DCL also has lots of family activities we took advantage of. Nasi

You can go with your child to any of the events at the Oceaneer Lab or Club providing him with the one on one should he need it.

My recommendation is to print out the navigator for the age bracket that is most suitable to your child and choose those events you know he would be interested in. This worked out well for us. DD loved making a pinata, goo, and doing the limbo.

The counselors are very accomodating.

Allentimes4:

We cruised in Nov with my DS who was 12. He is very high functioning autistic mainstreamed in middle school with a one on one aide. He was in the 10 -12 club and really did well. I explained to the CMs the first night that he was autistic and if at any time he seemed to be stressed or acted up in any way to please beep me. The first night the noise in the club was overwhelming to him and they didn't beep me. There was a minor situation with a kid and a counselor making remarks to him about his intolerance to noise and he was upset. I spoke with all of the counselors again and they were absolutely amazing the rest of the week. They treated him so well and made allowances for him. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I was by these counselors. They work horrible hours and are able to stay so sweet and full of energy. When we cruise again in Nov he will be 13 but he will be in the 10 - 12 club again.

When my son was 6 he was much more severe. He wasn't very verbal and had many more issues. My daughter was 7 and in the 6 - 7 year old club. There's alot of activity and stimulation going on in there and a good amount of structured activities. I don't know how much time my autistic DS would have lasted in that club when he was 6 but I think they will do everything possible to include him in the activities. The counselors in this group were also amazing!

Bring ear plugs. There are many activities that are very loud. The shows, tropical night and the clubs can get very loud. My DS carried his earplugs everywhere after the first night and they were a savior.

Order the video and watch it over and over and read all you can and then tell him everything that you have learned. If he is prepared for what to expect he might take to the changes much more easily. If he has eating issues, go to Barb's site and show him the menus so that he knows there will be food on the ship that he is familiar with. All you can eat ice cream had my DS really looking forward to the trip.

You will have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter