Chosen for Nani in live-action Lilo and Stitch, but should she have been?

I just don't think it can work one way and not the other. And there are ALIENS in this movie so overall it's a mythical story.

The actress is Hawaiian and I see no reason why she can't play an indigenous woman. She might not be "Hawaiian enough" for some but I think she is. Her skin tone is fine, she looks more like the part than most actresses would. Cartoons are exaggerated features usually so I don't know who they would find that would look exactly like her anyway.

sydney-nani.jpg

I agree with you on Tiana as it's a more historical based movie, including the voodoo.
From this picture she does look more the part. The picture in the article I saw and on imdb just looked like a tan European/white girl.

OP, you said ...

I have to say, I never got that from the movies at all (and I own DVD's of all of them, because one of my kids was obsessed with Stitch). Is there something in the dialogue or action that makes that clear somewhere? If there is, my apologies because I managed to miss it.

My impression is that Nani struggles for the same reasons as would any teenaged big sister trying to raise a young sibling alone and keep a home together after their parents' deaths. She is very young, has no real assets other than a somewhat run-down house, doesn't have a lot of marketable job skills, and also doesn't have a reliable baby-sitter to keep Lilo out of trouble while she is at work. I don't think the other kids ostracize Lilo because she's full Hawaiian, but because they see her as just plain odd. (I remember other very Hawaiian-looking girls in the hula class who were accepted just fine, and Nani's friend David seems to have no trouble getting and keeping jobs; perhaps because he doesn't have a perpetually-in-trouble younger sibling to raise?)
I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. I started wondering if I somehow missed a major plotline in the movie because I didn't remember Nani getting fired for being too dark, I thought it was because Stitch caused issues at the luau restaurant where she worked. That seems a little dark for a Disney movie, especially an early 2000s one.

I mean, if a fair skinned/red headed mermaid named Ariel can be transformed into an African American mermaid for a live action, I think we can also be fine with a lighter skinned Hawaiian playing a Hawaiian female part for a live action.

Also - I never considered Nani to be dark? Maybe I just don't read too much into cartoons, but Nani surfs. She's going to get tan. I'm curious on where you got that she was considered to be not good enough to keep jobs or keep a roof over her head because of her skin color, OP. Do you have any specific scenes or lines from the film where this was shown or said? I thought it was because she was a young adult having to raise her young sister, thus barely making ends meet because of the low paying jobs due to the responsibility of having said sister.

Not everyone from native Hawaii is dark, race typing is just as hurtful towards those who are lighter skinned vs those who have daker complexions.

OP, you said ...

I have to say, I never got that from the movies at all (and I own DVD's of all of them, because one of my kids was obsessed with Stitch). Is there something in the dialogue or action that makes that clear somewhere? If there is, my apologies because I managed to miss it.
I wondered where this came from as well. I never got the impression that a native Hawaiian living in Hawaii had trouble getting a job because of her skin tone.

I think if they can add a mermaid to the underwater scene (the height of fiction) they could brighten the place up without feeling the need to be "realistic".

Way too many of these live action movies have turned out too dark. Disney movies are supposed to be bright and beautiful (at least in places).
Definitely a downside of live action remakes. Colours are less bright in real live and it makes it easier to come across as dull in comparison to the animation.

I have issues with the Prince Ali song in the live action Aladdin, but not because of the colours.

just wow. First of all Nani is a fictional character.
2) Not sure if has been noticed but in race, not all people of that race are all one shade. Smh
3) Be more miffed that Disney took the movie of Pocahontas( who was real) and aged her and had her and John Smith be in love. Lol

View attachment 755607

Sydney Agudong, part Hawaiian, born and raised on Kauai will play Nani.

Nani's dark skin is such an important factor in why she struggles to get a good job and to provide a livable home for Lilo.

I say no, bad choice. She has none of the distinctive features of an indigenous Hawaiian as do animated Nani and Lilo, also a factor. Had she those, makeup might be tolerable for me.

That Disney didn't move beyond colorism for this role disappoints me.

Your thoughts?

ETA: Corrected spelling of her last name. OOPS!

And this is the girl making her debut as Lilo, Maia Kealoha . That's more like it.

View attachment 755630
OP, a couple people have asked about your statement that Nani's dark complexion makes her struggle to get a job and provide a home for Lilo as a native Hawaiian residing in Hawaii. Can you provide scenes/quotes for why you made this statement? I'm struggling to find where in the movie this happened.

OP, a couple people have asked about your statement that Nani's dark complexion makes her struggle to get a job and provide a home for Lilo as a native Hawaiian residing in Hawaii. Can you provide scenes/quotes for why you made this statement? I'm struggling to find where in the movie this happened.
I never saw her as someone who struggled due to race. I thought it was more of an overwhelmed 20 something sister adult turned “mom” who’s struggling due to the new dynamic. Lilo’s antics causes Nani issues on trying to have a more stable career not race. The OP’s statement seems to be reaching for something that is not there. If it was, it would have been talked about in the early 2000’s.

Last edited:
I am mostly concerned about what CGI Stitch is going to look like... and he is a favorite in this house. I predict either completely off or nightmare fuel.
Disney is actually casting a legitimate alien for the role of Stitch. These are the three extraterrestrial actors currently in the running:

1682690131990.jpeg
pbpr-02_face.jpg
Mac-and-Me-Top.jpg

Honestly, I just can't decide, all three are so talented.

Because there is not an active thread about the Little Mermaid remake, I'm going to use this one:

In this picture, this dress is not flattering. I am quite sure it is for Kiss the Girl and I just wish she had something better to wear. Screenshot_20230428_192508_Facebook.jpg

This casting choice isn't great but I can't get too worked up over these live action remakes. Even if they got an actress that looks more like Nani, the movie will most likely still be bad.
I have skipped the majority of the live action remakes but the little girl chosen to play Lilo is so darned cute I may actually watch this one on Disney+

And the live action Snow White is going to be played by a Latina. That one has left me scratching my head.

Generally, it doesn't bother me when they cast actors who don't resemble the animated original when their race/ethnicity/appearance isn't relevant to the story. Snow White, Little Mermaid, Cinderella... it just doesn't make a difference to the story. But you really couldn't engage in race-blind casting for Mulan or Tiana or Jasmine without significantly changing the story.

And that's why I'm kind of on the fence about their casting of Nani. The animated movie never explicitly references it, so I suppose it shouldn't really matter, but Nani having an Indigenous look and her struggles with finding/keeping work and dealing with social services felt like an implied nod to the obstacles many Indigenous families face. Casting a thin, light-skinned actress for the role erases that subtext (which was maybe never intended in the first place?).

But in the end, what I think couldn't possibly matter less because I refuse to support this empty-headed live-action madness with a single dollar or minute of my time, regardless of what I think of the casting. I'll go see Disney movies when they actually put in the time, money, and creativity of creating new content rather than peddling nostalgic re-runs.

I hear what you are saying OP.

Not only was mom's look plainly indigenous which I took to mean a body positive nod to girls to say, we are pretty too in a non caucasian way, but, the animation also went out of it's way to normalize the mom's body type. Mom was a beautiful surfer with a thick, stocky & athletic body with chunky solid legs. Lets not backslide.
Not Lilo’s mom - Nani is her older sister…

The animated movie never explicitly references it, so I suppose it shouldn't really matter, but Nani having an Indigenous look and her struggles with finding/keeping work and dealing with social services felt like an implied nod to the obstacles many Indigenous families face. Casting a thin, light-skinned actress for the role erases that subtext (which was maybe never intended in the first place?).

Seems a valid subtext to me, my opinion.

A more important characteristic of Nani's upon which others here have remarked was alluded to in your description, "a thin, light-skinned actress," IMO.

A good deal of Nani's appeal for me was how muscular and strong she appeared to be. Not fashion model slim by any means. To me, that was a visual clue that Nani would prevail in her determination to prevent Lilo's being taken from her before they were able to succeed as a family. She had physical strength and was trying to find the emotional fortitude and maturity to be an effective guardian for Lilo.

Perhaps, I read too much into Nani's and Lilo's appearances. However, I felt that their appearance was representative of the struggles of many indigenous people in prejudicial societies. When you look "too native," that's often a lifelong obstacle to overcome, if you even can.

Here's the thing though, this actress IS Hawaiian, from Kauai, which is where the movie takes place. She does have mixed heritage that includes Pacific Islander. Many of you are debating if she is "Hawaiian enough" for the role. Are we really going that far now? Do we start scrutinizing every actor for "how much" of an ethnicity they are? Honestly, I'm finding it a bit offputting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter