Clearwater Beach or Siesta Key Beach?

TravelinGal

DIS Veteran
We've narrowed our beach day :sunny: down to either Clearwater or Siesta Key -

What do you think is best for our group and why?

We have 3 adults and 1 infant (18 months old) in our group and we are traveling in early May.

It's primarily about relaxing and playing in the ocean. We don't need a lot of shopping or high $ activities.

(and a silly side question - key is pronounced cay, right?)

TIA,
Robin

I would definately do Siesta Key (pronounced 'Key' as far as I know). We have been going there the first week of May for the last 5 years and it is absolutely the most relaxing place I can think of. The white sand is just awesome!! The kids have been going since they were 2 and 3 years old and have the best time!!
:thumbsup2

I have the same question.

I watched "The Best Beaches" on the travel channel and Clearwater was #5.
South Beach was #1.

I think were going to check out Clearwater. Last year we went to Daytona.

Clearwater took the 5th spot on the travel channel show, while SK took the 2nd. :) SK is our favorite beach on this side of the state. CB can be a pain in the butt to get to, I-4 is a construction mess around downtown Tampa right now. CB parking is a hassle and you have to pay, SK has a large free lot to park in. CB is built up where SK has a boundry between the buildings and the beach. SK village has more of a laid back, relaxing feel to it.

I guess it would vary depending on time of day/traffic etc., but the two days we drove from siesta Key to Disney, it took two hours.
I believe on the mapquest program it quotes approximately 2 hours as well.

I have never been to Clearwater, but spent two weeks in Siesta Key over Christmas and loved it so much that we booked two weeks over Christmas this year as well!!!

The sand is incredible, Siesta Key public beach has a very large free parking lot, a large playground area for children as well as is the widest beach I have ever seen.

We just got back from Siesta Key. We stayed overnight last Saturday. We then went to WDW on Sunday. Everyone told us it would take 1.5 hours. Well, we went 80mph and it still took us 2 hours to get to POR.

It was chilly last Saturday, but the beach was awesome.

Sylvester McBean said:
about an hour and a half. and for the OP, Cay is pronounced Key, you just got them backwards. :)

LOL - I knew there was SOMETHING to the pronounciation... Leave it to ME to get it completely mixed up! :rotfl:

Thanks for all the great info! Sounds like SK is the key... ;)

If we go to Sk would we be able to take a dolphin excursion like they have at clearwater beach. Thanks Susan

riu girl said:
The sand is incredible, Siesta Key public beach has a very large free parking lot, a large playground area for children as well as is the widest beach I have ever seen.

Does anyone have condo recommendations near the beach. On the beach would be ideal. The playground will be great for my DD2 & DD4. We're going for 3 days before our Disney trip the first week in August. We'd like a condo so we can eat breakfast & lunch in. We just need the beach, a pool & a clean 1 or 2 bedroom condo.

If you go to to Siesta Key Chamber of Commerce web site, you can find a ton of info. regarding accomodation. A lot of places rent only by the week though, but on this web site you can look up ones that only rent for shorter periods of time.

The beach is several miles in length and offers hotel rooms as well as condos.

You can also check out www.vacationrentals.com as well as www.vrbo.com.

Check your private messages. I will send you a link to the condo we rented. We loved it so much that we have rented it for two more weeks for later this year. It is great. Across the street from the beach, one bedroom plus pull out couch, very clean, full kitchen, really nice pool. The owner usually rents by the week but since this is slower time perhaps they will rent for a shorter amount of time.

The playground at the public beach would be ideal for a 2 and 4 year old. It is a very large playground that would cater to kids 2 and up.

Please let me know if you ahve any more questions about Siesta Key. I can't say enough good about this place.

how do you get to SK from wdw?
we were planning on going to Clearwater..but it sounds like SK may be the better choice!

grover said:
how do you get to SK from wdw?
we were planning on going to Clearwater..but it sounds like SK may be the better choice!

take I-4 west to I-75 south, about 2 hours. we've got friends there right now and have been going down the last few days for dinner and some beach time.

since I live here, I'll say SK!! Actually Clearwater is more of a party beach where SK is more laid back....we used to go to Cleawater all through high school and weekend trips home from college....SK is truly a beautiful beach. Actually walk further down Siesta til you hit Crescent, that's where we go - it's quiet and gorgeous!

Sounds like a winner here but does anyone have a recommendation for the closest beach to Disney? Maybe the Atlantic side? With a 5 and 7 year old, two hours in the car each way to the beach doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Thanks

Sounds like a winner here but does anyone have a recommendation for the closest beach to Disney? Maybe the Atlantic side? With a 5 and 7 year old, two hours in the car each way to the beach doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter