CNBC on Chapek & Iger’s falling out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only mistake Chapek made was getting involved at all. Not sure why a few employees think the company they work for is somehow obligated to push their political agendas. Other employees may feel differently. Stay out of it and focus on making the parks better.
Perhaps because this is a company that has adopted a public stance to embrace its diverse culture by adopting a 5th key and they want the company to follow through on it.

The only mistake Chapek made was getting involved at all. Not sure why a few employees think the company they work for is somehow obligated to push their political agendas. Other employees may feel differently. Stay out of it and focus on making the parks better.

Money is speech. Hard to stay out of it when you're caught donating to politicians that sponsored this bill. It'd be different if they hadn't donated money and decided to interject themselves into the conversation.

If anything this just proves how unprepared Chapek was for his job.

I mean, I wouldn't call the rights of LGBT+ ppl a political agenda. :rolleyes2

And I wouldn't call it a "right". It's all about parents deciding what is appropriate for teachers to discuss with children 4 to 8 years olds. If Disney thinks that is a great idea, they should put it in their next Pixar film aimed at small children. But there is a reason they won't do that. Just like there is a reason they won't speak out against the atrocities in China.

If a parent wants to have those discussions at that very young age, they can do it themselves. Nobody is stopping them. But they certainly don't have the right to force it on parents that don't want it for own very young children.

How many on this forum have actually read the "Don't Say Gay" law. It is only 7 pages long. It only refers to Kindergartner thru 3rd grade. In the grand scheme of things this is really not what someone should fall on their sword denouncing. By all means I support Gay rights, but this bill has NOTHING to do with limiting gay rights. So before anyone criticizes the law please take the 6 minutes or so and read it. Afterword I believe like me, you will wonder what the big deal is.

How many on this forum have actually read the "Don't Say Gay" law. It is only 7 pages long. It only refers to Kindergartner thru 3rd grade. In the grand scheme of things this is really not what someone should fall on their sword denouncing. By all means I support Gay rights, but this bill has NOTHING to do with limiting gay rights. So before anyone criticizes the law please take the 6 minutes or so and read it. Afterword I believe like me, you will wonder what the big deal is.

The thing is that it's not really about the law, which is pointless as it "protects" against something that wasn't really happening anyway, but rather the tone and rhetoric around it. The whole thing is just an exercise in fanning the culture war to get people all riled up for votes. It is absolutely a way of sending a message that we can have our way and you can't - and it actually works for both sides to whip their supporters up. The whole thing is just such a sad statement on our society.

Iger's recent statements prove that he is 10 times the CEO that Chapek is. Disney should be begging him to come back and right the ship!

The thing is that it's not really about the law, which is pointless as it "protects" against something that wasn't really happening anyway, but rather the tone and rhetoric around it. The whole thing is just an exercise in fanning the culture war to get people all riled up for votes. It is absolutely a way of sending a message that we can have our way and you can't - and it actually works for both sides to whip their supporters up. The whole thing is just such a sad statement on our society.

Iger's recent statements prove that he is 10 times the CEO that Chapek is. Disney should be begging him to come back and right the ship!
Brian - I am over 65 years old and the culture wars have been going on since before I was born. I have long since learned to tune out the noise, research issues for myself and make up my own mind on how I feel about events. Otherwise, this sort of stuff will just drive you crazy.

Brian - I am over 65 years old and the culture wars have been going on since before I was born. I have long since learned to tune out the noise, research issues for myself and make up my own mind on how I feel about events. Otherwise, this sort of stuff will just drive you crazy.

Well, hey, you're absolutely right on that. People should tune that out and make up their own minds - but they don't. I am not a big proponent of fanning those flames for whatever reason. It's just so unnecessary.

Not long ago people were saying the anti-Chapek sentiment was just from Disney parks die-hard fans resistant to change, but the anti-Chapek sentiment seems to be spreading with some questioning whether Chapek will still be CEO next year when his contract ends.

There are more and more articles like the below ...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...k-missteps-fuel-confidence-crisis-1235122002/
Surely the Disney board can't see Chapek's handling of this entire "Don't Say Gay" bill as a positive? Both sides of the aisle aren't happy with Disney right now. It is a huge distraction.

it is funny because nowhere in the bill they use the word "gay". It says to not bring up sexuality if not age appropriate. That is for both heterosexuality or homosexuality. And that is for kids K-3rd grade. Does anyone here think it is ok to talk sexuality with kids that young, whether is about homosexuality or hetero? As a parent, I would like to bring that up myself (at least in that age group). I don't think that should be part of the curriculum for kids that young. And yes, that has happened in few schools around the country.

This has nothing to do with "gay rights". This is politics. Divisive politics. They are dividing us even more and we are letting them. Let's stop this please.

Sorry, I will finish here. Peace out

it is funny because nowhere in the bill they use the word "gay". It says to not bring up sexuality if not age appropriate. That is for both heterosexuality or homosexuality. And that is for kids K-3rd grade. Does anyone here think it is ok to talk sexuality with kids that young, whether is about homosexuality or hetero? As a parent, I would like to bring that up myself (at least in that age group). I don't think that should be part of the curriculum for kids that young. And yes, that has happened in few schools around the country.

This has nothing to do with "gay rights". This is politics. Divisive politics. They are dividing us even more and we are letting them. Let's stop this please.

Sorry, I will finish here. Peace out

But...was that even happening to begin with? There is no insidious plan by K-3 teachers to cover that stuff. It's all much ado about nothing - a solution looking for a problem.

But...was that even happening to begin with? There is no insidious plan by K-3 teachers to cover that stuff. It's all much ado about nothing - a solution looking for a problem.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/03/29/texas-teacher-fourth-grade-students-lgbt-pride-week/

just a few. I could go on.

I am not saying that is a generalized wide spread problem, my kids go to public schools in MI and so far so good (they are in K and 4th grade).

I am not saying that is a generalized wide spread problem, my kids go to public schools in MI and so far so good (they are in K and 4th grade).

I think those are clearly isolated issues getting high-profile attention for all the wrong reasons - and they also don't seem to mention "sex" at all.

But, to keep it on topic, Disnye's participation or lack of participation in this matter has made everyone angry, and that's on Chapek. A more savvy CEO <caough> IGER <cough> could have essentially had the company do the same, but handled it so much better from a PR persepective.

I do think all issues should be talked about with kids. Because kids talk to each other, and they have older siblings and interact with older peers, it doesn't matter if a parent does their best to kept mentions of gender and sexuality away from their kids for whatever reason. The fact is that kids will learn anyway, and I know I would prefer to teach my kid about it than them getting misinformation from other kids.

Yes. If the child asks they should be given the info.

That's for the parent of each individual child to decide.

Not you. Not me. Not the "LGBT+ community". And certainly not Bob Chapek. Disney's keys don't make them king of the world, especially when they blatantly don't live up to them in much more atrocious situations.

All this bill does it protect the parent's right to make that decision with their children 3rd grade and younger. When it comes to those types of discussion with my kids, NOBODY else gets a say in how and when it is done.

Last edited:
I'm done here. The conversation has moved in ways that will got points assigned. Obviously there are differing opinions on the issue.

I think those are clearly isolated issues getting high-profile attention for all the wrong reasons - and they also don't seem to mention "sex" at all.

But, to keep it on topic, Disnye's participation or lack of participation in this matter has made everyone angry, and that's on Chapek. A more savvy CEO <caough> IGER <cough> could have essentially had the company do the same, but handled it so much better from a PR persepective.

Probably a good reason to just stay out of all of it. On all sides. But I agree, it was handled poorly.

I can't begin to imagine what Walt would think about all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter