Coconut macaroons

pinkxray

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow bakers,

I am wondering if anyone has a true and tried recipe for conconut macaroons? I love to include them in my cookie trays for the holidays but my last few attempts have flopped. I made them a few years ago and they were wonderful. I can’t remember the recipe I used and the last few attempts of different recipe haven’t worked out well. I vaguely remember whipping the egg whites for the recipe that worked. The attempts that haven’t worked tend to be too white, lots of liquid left in the bowl which makes the bottom burn while cooking or everything just flops flat?

Thank you!

Hello fellow bakers,

I am wondering if anyone has a true and tried recipe for conconut macaroons? I love to include them in my cookie trays for the holidays but my last few attempts have flopped. I made them a few years ago and they were wonderful. I can’t remember the recipe I used and the last few attempts of different recipe haven’t worked out well. I vaguely remember whipping the egg whites for the recipe that worked. The attempts that haven’t worked tend to be too white, lots of liquid left in the bowl which makes the bottom burn while cooking or everything just flops flat?

Thank you!
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it's definitely on my list. I think you could skip the Matterhorn part and make the cookies like regular macaroons if that is more to your liking.

Disneyland Matterhorn Macaroons​

Inspired by the Original Treat at Disneyland
Makes 12 Macaroons

Ingredients:
1 cup room temperature butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut – see note below for how to prepare coconut
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 bag of Wilton Bright White Candy melts
decorators sugar for sprinkling

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Get out an ungreased baking sheet

2. Cream together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add salt, extracts, and flour and mix until just combined. Add one cup of coconut (processed in the food processor as described below) and fold in gently.

3. Form into 12 matterhorn mounds and bake until lightly golden around the edges (around 15 minutes.)

4. Remove from oven and cool completely. Melt candy melts as directed on package and dip the tops of your matterhorns in. Sprinkle with decorators sugar.

And here is MiceChat's version: https://www.micechat.com/292739-how-to-make-copycat-matterhorn-macaroons-for-national-macaroon-day/

I've been making these for years and they're very easy and always turn out great. I often make them on Thanksgiving when I'm doing cream pies that only egg yolks (my extended family prefers whipped cream over meringue).

Coconut Macaroons - from Angel Flake Coconut

1 1/3 cups (about) Baker's Angel Flake Coconut
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (Note - I use vanilla because I don't care for almond flavoring)

Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract; mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. (I use silicon baking mats.) Garnish with candied cherry halves, if desired. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until edges of cookies are golden brown. Remove from baking sheets immediately. Makes about 18 cookies.

Not at home at the moment so I don't know every detail of the recipe. As I recall it uses 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 bag of shredded coconut (maybe a 7 oz bag?). Combine in your stand mixer to blend thoroughly. Can also add some chopped almonds. (I don't care for the taste of almond extract, but the chopped almonds adds a good flavor.) Portion out onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake. Always turns out great. Recipe isn't as fussy as some others I have seen online in the past.

I've been making these for years and they're very easy and always turn out great. I often make them on Thanksgiving when I'm doing cream pies that only egg yolks (my extended family prefers whipped cream over meringue).

Coconut Macaroons - from Angel Flake Coconut

1 1/3 cups (about) Baker's Angel Flake Coconut
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (Note - I use vanilla because I don't care for almond flavoring)

Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract; mix well. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheets. (I use silicon baking mats.) Garnish with candied cherry halves, if desired. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until edges of cookies are golden brown. Remove from baking sheets immediately. Makes about 18 cookies.
This is closest to the recipe that use and I’ve always had success with it. I do use the almond extract. And I also “paint” the bottoms of the cooled cookies with semi-sweet or dark chocolate.

It’s also my understanding that over whipping egg whites will cause them to “break” leaving that excess water you see in the bowl. You can add a bit of cream of tartar before you start whipping, to counteract that from happening. Or just keep an eye on it to make sure you’re not over whipping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter