College Dorms: Substance-Free Floors?

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
Did you or your kids have "substance-free floors" in their college dorms? If so, what exactly did that mean? I would assume a freshman dorm is "supposed" to be completely substance-free, but there's a certain amount of "looking the other way" as long as no one is getting hurt. Are substance-free floors enforced? Is it basically zero tolerance for alcohol or drugs? DS18 is moving into his dorm next week and has requested a substance-free floor. He's hoping not to have to deal with partying when he's trying to study or sleep.

My entire freshman dorm building had a zero tolerance policy for alcohol/drugs. I'm really surprised it's only limited to floors at your DS's school. He may want to talk to an RA and see what they have to say.

My entire freshman dorm building had a zero tolerance policy for alcohol/drugs. I'm really surprised it's only limited to floors at your DS's school. He may want to talk to an RA and see what they have to say.

He's definitely planning to get the rundown on how the policy works. His roommate also requested substance-free, so he's not worried about stuff being brought into his room.

My impression of substance-free dorms or floors was that, yes, all dorms are committed to being substance free, but if you choose a substance-free dorm or floor it is to be with other college students who are adamantly opposed to substances versus mixing in with other students who know it's wrong and not allowed but want to sneak it in anyway.

My daughter starts college in a few weeks. She specifically requested not to be in the huge freshman dorm as that's where a lot of crazy stuff happens. That isn't her scene.

I honestly don't know whether her school offers substance free floors/dorms. It isn't something she sought out.

I think it just might be a way to put similar minded kids together as opposed to being the only area that's substance free, as that should be the whole dorm. It's not a choice someone who likes to party would make, which should limit the occurrence at least.

We had a couple "quiet" floors, longer quiet hours and no loud music etc at any times. And smoking/non smoking floors, but that's staring to show my age haha.

I lived in a 24-hour quiet floor my freshman year, where there was to be no audible noise from after supper Sunday night until noon on Friday. It was strictly enforced. The RA looked the other way at pot & drinking, although he could be a stickler about smoking tobacco.

My school had substance free floors. It definitely brought together those who didn't go to parties on the weekends. That's not to say some people didn't drink elsewhere and then come back intoxicated. I dated someone who lived on one of those floors and they definitely weren't quiet, either. On weekends, many people would hang out in the lounge, the hallways, or in each others rooms if they weren't out attended movies or whatnot elsewhere on campus.

As for all freshman dorms being substance free..... IME there's a big difference in tolerance between public schools and liberal arts colleges. Some school house freshman together and others have a mix of years on every floor.

Did you or your kids have "substance-free floors" in their college dorms? If so, what exactly did that mean? I would assume a freshman dorm is "supposed" to be completely substance-free, but there's a certain amount of "looking the other way" as long as no one is getting hurt. Are substance-free floors enforced? Is it basically zero tolerance for alcohol or drugs? DS18 is moving into his dorm next week and has requested a substance-free floor. He's hoping not to have to deal with partying when he's trying to study or sleep.
I think it might partly depend on the culture of the school. I went to somewhat of a party school, and though that wasn't what I was looking for or why I went there, it's highly likely you'll be living with people who are looking for that kind of experience. I had a friend who was in the substance free dorm, and was very serious about not being around people who did anything she didn't approve of. One problem she encountered was that some people were assigned that dorm, or in come cases I suspect placed there by parents and really pushed the limits. My friend was also very religious, and ended up with a roommate who had zero respect or tolerance for that and went out of her way to be disruptive. Now, it was a substance free dorm and not a dedicated religious dorm, but the point is you may also encounter people who have their own quirks or rules in any kind of specialty housing situation and you may end up having to deal with a lot more personality conflicts than you might in a more, anything goes situation. The other thing is that if it's just a substance free floor, but the common areas are otherwise shared throughout the dorm, I don't see how much impact that rule would have.

My daughters school doesn't have substance free floors but I know when they were picking room mates some of the questions were do you smoke pot, do you smoke cigarettes and do you drink. She said it was tough finding the ones that said they did NOT smoke pot, drink or smoke cigarettes. Hopefully they told the truth on there- I know she made contact with her room mate before they submitted to the school to dorm together and they talked and made sure they both were up front about that.

I'm a current student at Pace University (go setters). Two years ago when I was moving into my freshman dorm, I had the option of choosing a "themed" floor. There were floors for people who enjoyed cooking, floors for people who wanted to see everything that NYC had to offer, floors for people who enjoyed playing music, and other different little niches. I know this is becoming popular on many college campuses as it gives students a chance to connect with their floor mates and bond over similar interests right off the bat, since making friends in college can be difficult. Is it possible that the "substance-free floor" is a similarly themed floor for students who have chosen to live their lives totally substance free off campus as well?

This is the only possible explanation I can have for a "substance-free floor" in a freshman dorm. At my school and every school my friends went to, all freshman only dorms had a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs. Even if you're 21 in an upperclassmen dorm, you're limited to a small amount of beer and wine in the room, any hard liquor or drugs will get you kicked out of the building. Having a substance-free space that legally should be substance-free to begin with, unless it's a themed floor like I explained, is totally bizarre and I would look into it further.

Good luck to DS in college!

I think it might partly depend on the culture of the school. I went to somewhat of a party school, and though that wasn't what I was looking for or why I went there, it's highly likely you'll be living with people who are looking for that kind of experience. I had a friend who was in the substance free dorm, and was very serious about not being around people who did anything she didn't approve of. One problem she encountered was that some people were assigned that dorm, or in come cases I suspect placed there by parents and really pushed the limits. My friend was also very religious, and ended up with a roommate who had zero respect or tolerance for that and went out of her way to be disruptive. Now, it was a substance free dorm and not a dedicated religious dorm, but the point is you may also encounter people who have their own quirks or rules in any kind of specialty housing situation and you may end up having to deal with a lot more personality conflicts than you might in a more, anything goes situation. The other thing is that if it's just a substance free floor, but the common areas are otherwise shared throughout the dorm, I don't see how much impact that rule would have.

Interesting. We'll see how it all shakes out. I'm not too worried about DS because he is extremely easy-going, very social, and makes friends very easily. His major (musical theater) requires that he stay completely clean, and he agrees with and respects that. He's very serious about a smoke-free environment for vocal health, and staying in top shape for dance classes. His roommate, and engineering major, also requested a substance-free floor. DS isn't going to look down on anyone who chooses to drink or smoke pot, but he will avoid them when they're doing so. He mostly doesn't want parties on his floor when he's trying to sleep, and he doesn't want to encounter a lot of pukers (his word) in the bathroom on his floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter