College parents...fall semester?

My daughter's school, in the Bay Area in CA, plans to go back mostly in person. We don't have a lot of details about classes yet, but it sounds like the larger classes that don't have a lab/hands-on component may be moved online or held in a hybrid fashion. But most professors seem to be planning on an in-person semester with relatively minor modifications - masks and spacing between student seating, virtual office hours, etc. Fall break is cancelled and in-person classes will end and the dorms will close before Thanksgiving, with cram week and finals online, so that students aren't traveling back and forth between campus and home (or elsewhere).

DD was chosen as an R.A. for the living-learning community she participated in as a freshman, and the professors associated with the program (which accepts 15-25 students per year) are intending to meet in person, as is the one bio prof she's in regular contact with. The university is lowering housing capacity - no triples or quads - to better accommodate distancing, and they haven't mentioned what accommodations will be in place for dining and other campus facilities other than that they're planning to reopen those facilities to the greatest extent possible. DD wasn't particularly concerned with the dining hall possibly being take-out only, though, because she said she and her friends usually eat outdoors anyway. She's really looking forward to being back on campus , and back in California in general, even if everything isn't 100% normal.

My son’s school is doing what they call a 10/4 semester. They go to school for 10 weeks and take 3 classes during this time. Then they will take 2 classes for 4 weeks. During the 4 week block they will have class everyday for each class. They will have a full week off at Thanksgiving and their normal short fall break. Lol, I think it sounds a little crazy but my son thinks it sounds great. He will be a Senior. He is happy it will not be online. I am happy he will be living in a single.

DD is returning to Mizzou as a Sophomore this fall. They considered an early start and home by Thanksgiving, then sent an email last week saying they're sticking with their original schedule. Seems kind of dumb to send students home for Thanksgiving, complete with family mingling, then come back together for 2 weeks. But I also won't be surprised to send them all home to do those last couple of weeks online.

Lots of vague comments about monitoring student health and remaining flexible. So we don't know much except a start date.

DS17 starts as a freshman this fall at WP NJ.

Overall not 100% confirmed but the school has been letting us know what they think will happen:
  • Instead of Sept 2 thru Dec 22, the semester's being moved back to Aug 19 thru Nov 25.
  • The first 2 weeks of the semester will be held online for everyone.
  • In person classes start Sept 2nd. Some classes will be split in 2 groups. One group will be in class and the other joining in online. They will keep swapping. This keeps the classroom size down so there's enough room to socially distance.
  • They're also looking into moving some classes into bigger classrooms that aren't being used that period.
  • Depending on demand, some campus housing may be changed from shared rooms to single rooms.
  • Hand sanitizer dispensers are being hung everywhere.
  • Dining hall will be open, specifics still being decided.
That will have to do for us even if not the full experience. My son needs to maintain the momentum of his education and he also needs the structure of in person classes. He'll struggle otherwise. The risks of interrupting his education are greater than the virus to him. Hopefully the other 3.5 yrs of college will be enough to make this oddball semester not matter much in the big picture.

We have friends in Juneau, AK and their daughter is an entering freshman at FSU in Tallahassee. She was supposed to be in a study-abroad program in Spain the first semester (although I can't imagine why she would choose the first semester!). That program was canceled, so now she will be at FSU in August.

If she gets online classes, I don't know how they would justify the expense of her coming to Tallahassee.

I think there may be a significant drop-off in enrollments, especially at large universities where the Fall semester is such a big deal.

So in response to the original poster. Does your daughter already have a car and is she ok with driving 102 miles each time she needs to get to campus? My daughters schools are both planning on a full return to campus and in person classes but both will finish up at Thanksgiving. My girls are excited to return to school even with take out. They both want out of the house. I can't blame them. It's boring here. If my daughter were to commute to campus I would need to purchase her a reliable car so the savings would not be a great. I would also worry about her driving 51 miles each way in the winter. I prefer to have them on campus where they can walk everywhere. Just my opinion.

Yes she has a car. And it is only 45 minutes to her campus. It would also only be on Monday and Tuesdays. If the weather is bad in the winter they cancel class because some students do commute as well.

I totally get kids wanting to be on campus! But neither my daughter or my husband and I are sure it’s worth an additional $15,000 at this point. It would better financially to just rent an apartment ourselves at that point.

I also did get a call back from Residence Life. They are telling me that they are planning on having students in single dorm rooms with a couple as doubles. Not sure how that will go since housing is an issue already. A couple of my daughters friends are actually on a waiting list for fall housing because they had the last slot to sign up and nothing was left by then. In addition, I don’t think my daughter would want to live in a single.

So we will see how things go for now. Luckily, payment isn’t due until the middle of August so she still has time to decide and we can see how things are at that point.

So looking at ALL her classes, she'd only be "on campus" 1-2 days a week? No, I'd consider commuting. Is it ideal? No, but nothing's really ideal right now.
Agree. I have the impression your student is just starting college? Then those beginning classes could definitely be taken online -- it'd be harder for a student who's nearing graduation. For a freshman, I'd totally consider online classes at a community college.
So her motivation to attend college is more about the lifestyle than the education?
Yep, I fear you're right. I wouldn't want my child to live in a dorm right now. I loved living in a dorm, and my kids both loved living in a dorm -- but they're too small /too crowded for safety at the moment.

I don't think big lecture classes are all that bad an idea -- so long as you can put a couple seats between everyone.

My youngest just graduated (well, received her degree -- didn't actually cross a stage in a graduation ceremony), but I'm worried about her roommate. She has one semester to go, and that's student teaching. I'm worried that she won't be able to finish /it's out of her control.

She is actually going to be a sophomore. Her school was doing trimesters so she already has 12 classes done. And yes, based on what academic advising just told me after looking at her schedule, her classes in person would be Mon and Tuesday.

Her motivation to attend attend college is to get a degree. She loved living on campus and would much prefer to do that. However, she is also practical and can’t see paying full price for what they would essentially be delivering about half on for that experience this coming year.

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of schools will say “welcome” back until kids are locked in. Then the restrictions will be announced. Classes could wind up being online a lot, masks need to be worn, certain things like the dining halls, activity centers and gyms restricted, etc..

Also..what happens if someone tests positive? Do they shut that whole dorm down and say ‘sorry” after people paid. Then what does everyone do?

So we will wait and see for now.

DD is returning to Mizzou as a Sophomore this fall. They considered an early start and home by Thanksgiving, then sent an email last week saying they're sticking with their original schedule. Seems kind of dumb to send students home for Thanksgiving, complete with family mingling, then come back together for 2 weeks. But I also won't be surprised to send them all home to do those last couple of weeks online.

Lots of vague comments about monitoring student health and remaining flexible. So we don't know much except a start date.

Similar situation here.

DS's school let us know a while ago that they were planning for a return to campus in the fall, but the current rumor among the students is that they'll probably only go up until Thanksgiving break, and then take finals on line from home.

I agree that it does seem like tempting fate to send them all home for a week and then resume with so little time left anyway.

He's excited to be going back, though!

My daughter will be a jr and lives off campus. So far, I believe they are waiting until July for a final decision but planning on in person with no breaks and finals online after Thanksgiving.

My son was a freshman last year and has taken a leave of absence next year. I try not to think about it because there are way worse things going on, but the pandemic and some personal events hit him really hard. Online learning did not help either.

He will most likely be transferring to an in state for next year but I didn't want him to make any final decisions while under all the stress and anxiety. Yes, he is going to be seeing someone.

The silver lining is that he has a chance to explore his own path vs the one assumed and encouraged by everyone around him, including us. He will be fine but it was a curveball we did not see coming..

My skeptical self is thinking that schools are planning to do the least they can to justify charging for room and board in the fall.
Really that's Sad. My kid goes to Purdue I know they having been doing all kinds of thing for the student and staff.

Really that's Sad. My kid goes to Purdue I know they having been doing all kinds of thing for the student and staff.
Purdue would definitely be one of the exceptions. Mitch Daniels really seems to be all over this and I hope other schools are watching.

I don't know if Mizzou is doing a good job with this or not. They were one of the first ones to commit to having students back on campus but they haven't done a good job of communicating what their plans include. They might have a great plan. They just haven't been good at communicating it.

But some of what I'm hearing about other schools does make me skeptical about their approach.

Purdue would definitely be one of the exceptions. Mitch Daniels really seems to be all over this and I hope other schools are watching.

I don't know if Mizzou is doing a good job with this or not. They were one of the first ones to commit to having students back on campus but they haven't done a good job of communicating what their plans include. They might have a great plan. They just haven't been good at communicating it.

But some of what I'm hearing about other schools does make me skeptical about their approach.
Yes we love Mitch. Be sure emails aren't going to spam or see if there is a Facebook parent page .

Yes we love Mitch. Be sure emails aren't going to spam or see if there is a Facebook parent page .
Definitely not going to spam. But checking for a parents Facebook page is a great idea. Thanks!

I think there may be a significant drop-off in enrollments, especially at large universities where the Fall semester is such a big deal.

a friend whose dh is a high school counselor for a large school district in california has found that among many of his grads and the ones his fellow counselors in other districts have had contact with-many that have been accepted into higher cost/freshman dorming required colleges are applying for deferred enrollment b/c they plan to stay home and do community college for at least a year. the university near us ( in washington) is reporting massive layoffs and potential short term elimination of some degree programs due to the decreased number of incoming freshman/returning sophomores next fall. the community colleges on the other hand are looking at greater enrollment numbers in the younger end of their student population.

makes sense-in california the cost of community college is nothing as compared to any 4 year, and in washington it's at least half the cost before dorming costs are added on top. a person could save tens of thousands of dollars by doing their general ed elsewhere (and frankly-i think it's b.s. that the local university will be doing on-line classes but still charging their students all the same on campus fees for a largely closed campus).

Our son is supposed to be going away to school in the fall, but they've said they will be doing the first semester all on line. However, he's on a sports team, so we put his name in for residence. Then they said all games for 2020 will be cancelled. So now the question is will they be at least holding practices? Is there really any reason for him to be on campus and probably alone? The only ones in residence, for fall, supposedly are foreign students or athletics, but if athletics is cancelled, that doesn't leave very many people and certainly not enough to give a good freshman year experience. Also, will there even be much selection for food if there aren't many students? He might be better off at home, but really wants to go and be independent.

Our son is supposed to be going away to school in the fall, but they've said they will be doing the first semester all on line. However, he's on a sports team, so we put his name in for residence. Then they said all games for 2020 will be cancelled. So now the question is will they be at least holding practices? Is there really any reason for him to be on campus and probably alone? The only ones in residence, for fall, supposedly are foreign students or athletics, but if athletics is cancelled, that doesn't leave very many people and certainly not enough to give a good freshman year experience. Also, will there even be much selection for food if there aren't many students? He might be better off at home, but really wants to go and be independent.
What university??? And what sport?

I haven't heard of any official NCAA cancellations, and our football team is already practicing.

a friend whose dh is a high school counselor for a large school district in california has found that among many of his grads and the ones his fellow counselors in other districts have had contact with-many that have been accepted into higher cost/freshman dorming required colleges are applying for deferred enrollment b/c they plan to stay home and do community college for at least a year. the university near us ( in washington) is reporting massive layoffs and potential short term elimination of some degree programs due to the decreased number of incoming freshman/returning sophomores next fall. the community colleges on the other hand are looking at greater enrollment numbers in the younger end of their student population.

makes sense-in california the cost of community college is nothing as compared to any 4 year, and in washington it's at least half the cost before dorming costs are added on top. a person could save tens of thousands of dollars by doing their general ed elsewhere (and frankly-i think it's b.s. that the local university will be doing on-line classes but still charging their students all the same on campus fees for a largely closed campus).
The thing students (and counselors) have to be really careful about is whether the courses transfer to the University level 100%.

Not whether the credits transfer, but do the courses transfer to fulfill mandatory requirements?

In other words, if you take English 101 at the community college level, does that apply directly to the English 101 requirement at the university?

Or is the 3 hour credit counted as an elective, and you still have to take the required course at the university level?

In Florida, we have 4-5 different sets of requirements for graduation. Some courses count for 3 different requirements; some don't count at all. Very important to know all of the minute details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter