College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

My name is Amanda and I just found out I got accepted into the Fall 2012 CP. I also found out I am going to be a life guard. Is there anyone who can fill me in on what this job is really like.

Do I have to be certified before I come? or do I get certified there?

Do I have to have up to date CPR when I arrive?

What will I be wearing?

Just the basics.

You could private message me or reply on here... I'm just uber curious.

Thanks bunches!
Amanda

Hello everyone,

My name is Amanda and I just found out I got accepted into the Fall 2012 CP. I also found out I am going to be a life guard. Is there anyone who can fill me in on what this job is really like.

What will I be wearing?

Just the basics.

Thanks bunches!
Amanda

I got accepted to lifeguard too!! I had a friend who did it last year and loved it, which is why I put it as my first choice. They will certify you there under their regulations, so it doesn't matter if you are certified before you go down (in both lifeguard and CPR). The costume is a basic white shirt/polo with Red swim trunks. If you want to see it, just youtube Disney World lifeguard. Hope this helps!!!!

Hi everyone! So I just got accepted for Fall 2012, and I've got a question about housing. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. Can anyone tell me details about the different housing buildings (size, quality, cost, atmosphere, etc)? I'm trying to figure out which complex I'd prefer before going down there. Thanks for any help!

I searched in the forums and couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd ask it. I graduated from college last May (2011). I want to do the Disney College Program and I have heard that what you can do is take an online course at a local community college and that would meet the requirement of being currently enrolled as a part time student. But does the online class that you are taking have to be for a credit or are continuing education classes with no credit also acceptable?

Hi everyone! So I just got accepted for Fall 2012, and I've got a question about housing. I'm sure it's been posted somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. Can anyone tell me details about the different housing buildings (size, quality, cost, atmosphere, etc)? I'm trying to figure out which complex I'd prefer before going down there. Thanks for any help!

I recommend adding yourself to the "Disney College Program Fall 2012" group on Facebook. Someone definitely posted that information about housing on the group. There's all kinds of valuable information there!

There are 3 complexes- Vista, Chatham, and Patterson. Vista is the oldest complex. There are only 2 bedroom sizes- 2 and 3 bedrooms. It's considered the "party" place (and usually the more lively). Then there is Chatham. Chatham has 1-4 bedrooms, and falls in the middle for rent cost. Patterson is the newest complex. There are 1-3 bedroom apartments, and is the most expensive of the 3. Also, there is no bus stop (and people walk over to Chatham to catch a bus).

Ok, a bit of an odd question: I am planning on apply for the CP for Fall Advantage 2013 after graduating from college. I have a ton of work and theatre experience, and I really would love to be a Character Attendant.

I'm currently working as a performer for children's birthday parties, as princesses and whatnot. Would it be a bad idea to mention this when interviewing? (I know it's a while away, for me, but I'm curious nonetheless!) I do some generic princesses that one "may or may not associate with Disney." How should I phrase this?

Thanks! :goodvibes

Here’s a question. I’ve tried searching but I can’t find an answer. If I go to school at USC in LA, and I want to do CP at DLR, do I have to live in their provided housing, or can I find my own living and commute? Thanks

Ok, a bit of an odd question: I am planning on apply for the CP for Fall Advantage 2013 after graduating from college. I have a ton of work and theatre experience, and I really would love to be a Character Attendant.

I'm currently working as a performer for children's birthday parties, as princesses and whatnot. Would it be a bad idea to mention this when interviewing? (I know it's a while away, for me, but I'm curious nonetheless!) I do some generic princesses that one "may or may not associate with Disney." How should I phrase this?

Thanks! :goodvibes
Theatre experience is always great to mention! I'm a theatre student too, so I know all about it and it is definitely has association with being a Character Attendant.

It would great to mention that you a performer and are great with kids. You are not obligated to go into the specifics of who you are friends with, or what you have done. Keep it interesting and let them know you love working with kids! :)

Break a leg!

Here’s a question. I’ve tried searching but I can’t find an answer. If I go to school at USC in LA, and I want to do CP at DLR, do I have to live in their provided housing, or can I find my own living and commute? Thanks
You are allowed to live off-site at The Disneyland Resort for the College Program! I believe you can even sign up for the earlier program (equivalent to the Fall Advantage) since on-site housing doesn't open until later for the Fall program.

I can't seem to find the page right now, but as you go through the sign-up process and request The Disneyland Resort, it prompts you for which program you want and details that if you want on-site housing Fall is the only option.

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

Alright I have a question. I just accepted my role, paid my fees and selected my program dates (last night at about 10pm), but I haven't gotten the follow-up email confirming my date selection. On my dashboard I'm in the "post-offer stage" and I have my arrival date under the "upcoming/registered events". I'm just a little nervous because my "10 days after the invitation to accept" limit is up in about 20 minutes, and I don't want Disney to think I'm declining the offer because they haven't sent out the date confirmation email yet (and you need to do all three steps to fully accept the offer).

Has anyone gone through this? It usually doesn't take this long for me to get the follow up emails from recruiting, so I'm a little nervous...

Hi everyone! I applied for the Fall CP and had my phone interview about a week and a half ago. However, my dashboard has not refreshed and I never got the "Thank you for completing the phone interview" message on the dashboard or an e-mail saying this either.

I did change the date & time of my phone interview one time, but that's it.

Anyone else having this problem, or that can tell me what I should do?!

Thank you! :)

Hello everyone,

I'm applying for Fall 2012 and I am having a hard time finding any info on the hopper role. Has anyone had experience or know anything about this role? I'm basically having a hard time deciding what role I want. I've narrowed it down to Merch, Custodial, Photopass, or Vacation Planner. I figured I could just go for the hopper role and that way I can at least do Merch and Custodial randomly. However, I do not want to hop the other roles like FB, Attractions, etc. I also am trying to get regular/minimal hours so I don't get rundown with classes and everything too.

Can someone please help? :cool1: I need to get this App submitted.

Hello everyone,

I'm applying for Fall 2012 and I am having a hard time finding any info on the hopper role. Has anyone had experience or know anything about this role? I'm basically having a hard time deciding what role I want. I've narrowed it down to Merch, Custodial, Photopass, or Vacation Planner. I figured I could just go for the hopper role and that way I can at least do Merch and Custodial randomly. However, I do not want to hop the other roles like FB, Attractions, etc. I also am trying to get regular/minimal hours so I don't get rundown with classes and everything too.

Can someone please help? :cool1: I need to get this App submitted.

I haven't yet done the program, but from what I understand, a hopper could be trained in all possible roles, just two, or even just one, depending on what is needed. You need to be willing to do all possible hopper roles.

Also remember that when you apply you're not picking what role you want but what roles you're WILLING to do. During the interview they'll ask for your top three,but there's no guarantee you'll get one. If you get accepted, Disney is going to place you where they need you, not necessarily where you want to be.

I don't mean to come off as rude -- I know I probably did in my other post to you as well. But this program is mostly about working. I've read a lot of stories about people who self-termed because they didn't think they'd be working much or have such crazy hours. Especially during the holidays. It makes me sad to think of all the other people who didn't get in who'd be willing to do whatever job was needed whenever it needed to be done, for however many hours they were needed.

BTW... Can I ask why you aren't interested in attractions?

Alright I have a question. I just accepted my role, paid my fees and selected my program dates (last night at about 10pm), but I haven't gotten the follow-up email confirming my date selection. On my dashboard I'm in the "post-offer stage" and I have my arrival date under the "upcoming/registered events". I'm just a little nervous because my "10 days after the invitation to accept" limit is up in about 20 minutes, and I don't want Disney to think I'm declining the offer because they haven't sent out the date confirmation email yet (and you need to do all three steps to fully accept the offer).

Has anyone gone through this? It usually doesn't take this long for me to get the follow up emails from recruiting, so I'm a little nervous...

I wouldn't worry about it. I never got a confirmation after I picked my date, just an email requesting additional info... Which was just the birthday. Then like ten days later I got the email for the onboarding website. As long as your stuff is correct on the dashboard, I'd assume you're good.

I haven't yet done the program, but from what I understand, a hopper could be trained in all possible roles, just two, or even just one, depending on what is needed. You need to be willing to do all possible hopper roles.

Also remember that when you apply you're not picking what role you want but what roles you're WILLING to do. During the interview they'll ask for your top three,but there's no guarantee you'll get one. If you get accepted, Disney is going to place you where they need you, not necessarily where you want to be.

I don't mean to come off as rude -- I know I probably did in my other post to you as well. But this program is mostly about working. I've read a lot of stories about people who self-termed because they didn't think they'd be working much or have such crazy hours. Especially during the holidays. It makes me sad to think of all the other people who didn't get in who'd be willing to do whatever job was needed whenever it needed to be done, for however many hours they were needed. If all you want out of the program is working Disney will oblige you. If you want to learn something and continue to be educated Disney welcomes your initivie.

BTW... Can I ask why you aren't interested in attractions?

As a Mom, I respect the posters questions as wanting to be informed. A good quality. I have a student that has done 3 CP's. The first one while carrying a full time course load with the two classes at Disney University. It wasn't all about working. Both Disney and the CP should get something out of the program. Disney offers education and you should grab that opportunity. Students need to learn not to turn their backs on opportunities. There is no way my kid could have worked 60 hours a week, slept, ate and carried 12 credit hours while in the program. Kid averaged 30 hours a week and more during the real busy Disney times.

Kids significant other (met down there the first time) was in CS. Stuck in CS, hotel making potatoes. Ultimately terminated 2 months early. My niece did 2 attraction CP's a year apart. 1st one doing Small World. She wanted to put her head through a wall after loading guests onto that attraction for 6 months. 2nd one she did TTT and Fantasmic. There was far more rotation and loved it. A friend of my kids was a Pilot of the Monorail, on duty during the Great Crash. Said it was horribly boring after Guests were not allowed up front with him. So my advice would be to think through your choices carefully. My Kid second go around was candid but respectful during the interview, explained why wanted certain roles and why other roles did not fit into college major. The first time received a plum role. Then did a second CP upon graduation and extended into the 3rd CP. Again being placed into a higher level, selective role. Disney respects students trying advance themselves through this program through education. They make work schedule allowances for those who have classes at Disney U so there are not conflicts. It isn't and shouldn't be all about work.

As a Mom, I respect the posters questions as wanting to be informed. A good quality. I have a student that has done 3 CP's. The first one while carrying a full time course load with the two classes at Disney University. It wasn't all about working. Both Disney and the CP should get something out of the program. Disney offers education and you should grab that opportunity. Students need to learn not to turn their backs on opportunities. There is no way my kid could have worked 60 hours a week, slept, ate and carried 12 credit hours while in the program. Kid averaged 30 hours a week and more during the real busy Disney times.

Kids significant other (met down there the first time) was in CS. Stuck in CS, hotel making potatoes. Ultimately terminated 2 months early. My niece did 2 attraction CP's a year apart. 1st one doing Small World. She wanted to put her head through a wall after loading guests onto that attraction for 6 months. 2nd one she did TTT and Fantasmic. There was far more rotation and loved it. A friend of my kids was a Pilot of the Monorail, on duty during the Great Crash. Said it was horribly boring after Guests were not allowed up front with him. So my advice would be to think through your choices carefully. My Kid second go around was candid but respectful during the interview, explained why wanted certain roles and why other roles did not fit into college major. The first time received a plum role. Then did a second CP upon graduation and extended into the 3rd CP. Again being placed into a higher level, selective role. Disney respects students trying advance themselves through this program through education. They make work schedule allowances for those who have classes at Disney U so there are not conflicts. It isn't and shouldn't be all about work.

I really didn't mean to imply that it was ONLY about work. I personally plan on taking a class or two through Disney while taking a couple online classes, and also plan on exploring Orlando. Im using this as a way to hopefully get my foot in the door and eventually advance through the disney corporate ladder. I just meant that you can't really expect to go into the program expecting to work part time, and somewhat normal 9 to 5 type hours, in only a job you want to do, in the exact location you want.

Quote (mrsxsparrow)

I don't think you are being rude, you are just being honest, right?

I'm really not that worried about if I ONLY work at DAK or not. (I realize that I did say ONLY)That's not really what I meant. I'd love to experience all of it, I know I'd enjoy it. I'm mostly concerned about my health and getting rundown which is why I'd probably like the hopper role so I can have variety. I'd rather not have 16 hour shifts 5 days a week standing/walking. No one should be worked that much, unless they want to. ;) (I realize this amount is probably an exaggeration)

As far as class goes, I may only take one class if need be done. I don't mind that either. I'd just prefer a little more class time, after all that is why I am in the program, so I can learn too.

And finally...Idk, attractions just doesn't look attractive...get it? No, really though, I'm fine with doing that as well. I just am kind of shy and don't really want to have to act or say anything in a mic. Not really looking forward to crowd control either.
:love:

Thanks

Hello everyone,

What will I be wearing?

Just the basics.

Thanks bunches!
Amanda

I got accepted to lifeguard too!! I had a friend who did it last year and loved it, which is why I put it as my first choice. They will certify you there under their regulations, so it doesn't matter if you are certified before you go down (in both lifeguard and CPR). The costume is a basic white shirt/polo with Red swim trunks. If you want to see it, just youtube Disney World lifeguard. Hope this helps!!!!

Disney uses the Large Facility custom Ellis certification. There is a lot of training in a private area pool. Ellis uses the "team" approach. When being certified you must be able to work as a team. Either your team passes or your team fails. Wear a lot of sunscreen during your training as you will be in direct sunlight a good chunk of your training and being crispy during training will be miserable. Ellis CPR and life guarding is very different from Red Cross or Parks and Rec Certification. Their scanning of water is remarkable. They also rotate differently then other certifications. When you enter training you will swim a large amount of lengths of the pool, so before you come down, make sure you are in shape for distant swimming.

Their uniforms are of great quality as are the "warm--ups" for cooler days. The white polo is a very heavy material and very warm on hot days. Its sleeves tend to hit almost at the elbow. Generally Visors and sunglasses are worn. Mirrored sunglasses a no no. The shoes are very different from other facilities. Ellis/Disney require shoes/sandals that have backs. If you have to run they do not want flip flops flying off. Also Disney does not allow logo's on their footwear. I'd wait and purchase footwear while down there, you can order online and be delivered before you actually start your role.

Another bonus about life guarding. Some of the best hourly wages for CP's!

Quick question - anyone know what the discount is for purchasing tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party? And, can that discount also be used to purchase tickets for family/friends? THANKS!!

Discounts come out in Mayish for the parties. You can purchase a ticket for yourself and up to the number on your Maingate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter