• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Colorado Springs, CO

suzannews

DIS Veteran
What are the must sees? Anything to avoid? Any insider tips? How bad is driving to the peak of Mt Evans? I've read everything from it was great and not dangerous to worst road ever, don't do it...

• Garden of the Gods
  • Air Force Academy
  • Pikes Peak
Mount Evans isn't in Colorado Springs, FYI. I'm not sure if you're mistaking Pikes peak or not, or just asking a separate question, but they are very different. Pikes peak is indeed near Colorado Springs and Mount Evans is pretty far NW of there, about a 2hr drive away. Both have paved roads that pretty much any passenger vehicle can handle in the summer. Look them both up online. Pikes peak costs a lot more to drive up than Mt. Evans. Mt. Evans required pre-reserved reservations last time I went and since there is no cell signal near the entrance station, you need to do it ahead of time.

Good luck!

I would think the more logical visit from Colorado Springs would be Pikes Peak. The caveat (at least when I thought of going there a few years ago) there would be that they require that any car being driven have some means of being forced into a 1st gear for engine braking while going downhill. Some rental cars might not be able to do that, although most do with some sort of paddle or override.

https://coloradosprings.gov/pikes-peak-americas-mountain/page/tickets-and-reservations

Other than that - the Air Force Academy.

• Garden of the Gods
  • Air Force Academy
  • Pikes Peak
Mount Evans isn't in Colorado Springs, FYI. I'm not sure if you're mistaking Pikes peak or not, or just asking a separate question, but they are very different. Pikes peak is indeed near Colorado Springs and Mount Evans is pretty far NW of there, about a 2hr drive away. Both have paved roads that pretty much any passenger vehicle can handle in the summer. Look them both up online. Pikes peak costs a lot more to drive up than Mt. Evans. Mt. Evans required pre-reserved reservations last time I went and since there is no cell signal near the entrance station, you need to do it ahead of time.

Good luck!
My husband was looking at Mt Evans and did mention it was far from Colorado Springs. We've looked at Pikes Peak also. From what I read, you can not drive to the top of Pikes Peak, you must take their train, is that correct?

The Olympic Museum and the US Figure Skating Hall of Fame Museum are in Colorado Springs, and Manitou Springs is just on the outskirts.

My husband was looking at Mt Evans and did mention it was far from Colorado Springs. We've looked at Pikes Peak also. From what I read, you can not drive to the top of Pikes Peak, you must take their train, is that correct?

No. You can drive up there. The "personal vehicle" reservation fee is $2 and they charge $15 per adult and $5 per child (up to 16).

https://coloradosprings.gov/pikes-peak-americas-mountain/page/pikes-peak-hours-and-rates

It's 19 miles one way, so it's best to have adequate fuel and you'll probably want water at that altitude. Being that high up can be tough on the lungs just being there.

They're also running some sort of shuttle (from Devils Playground) if you don't want to drive.

I've driven to the top of Pikes Peak twice. It is a winding road and has no guard rails or at least it didn't last time I went there. It is a fun experience and takes a lot less time then the cog train but the train is a fun ride, just longer. I made mine fun by watching my wife and daughters having mild heart attacks as I drove down the mountain. Going up didn't seem to bother anybody. It's also a little harder to breath at 14000 feet.

Honestly, I have never even heard about Mt. Evans. As another possible visit, The Royal Gorge suspension bridge is worth experiencing. When I was there last you could drive your car over it, but I understand you can't anymore. If one is not afraid of heights to the point of paralyzation it has a magnificent view and the wooden plank floor of the bridge is a challenge to your adrenaline or at least it was when you could drive over it.

1689019715488.png 1689019792042.png

No. You can drive up there. The "personal vehicle" reservation fee is $2 and they charge $15 per adult and $5 per child (up to 16).

https://coloradosprings.gov/pikes-peak-americas-mountain/page/pikes-peak-hours-and-rates

It's 19 miles one way, so it's best to have adequate fuel and you'll probably want water at that altitude. Being that high up can be tough on the lungs just being there.

They're also running some sort of shuttle (from Devils Playground) if you don't want to drive.
Thank you so much for the video! We will be driving to the top.

I've driven to the top of Pikes Peak twice. It is a winding road and has no guard rails or at least it didn't last time I went there. It is a fun experience and takes a lot less time then the cog train but the train is a fun ride, just longer. I made mine fun by watching my wife and daughters having mild heart attacks as I drove down the mountain. Going up didn't seem to bother anybody. It's also a little harder to breath at 14000 feet.

Honestly, I have never even heard about Mt. Evans. As another possible visit, The Royal Gorge suspension bridge is worth experiencing. When I was there last you could drive your car over it, but I understand you can't anymore. If one is not afraid of heights to the point of paralyzation it has a magnificent view and the wooden plank floor of the bridge is a challenge to your adrenaline or at least it was when you could drive over it.

View attachment 776618 View attachment 776619
Thank you! We didn't realize you could drive to the top. We just added it to the list! We are also planning the Royal Gorge Route Railroad. My daughter and I said no to the suspension bridge!

Car rental money saving tip; Fly into Colorado Springs if you can, but if you fly into Denver, rent the cheapest rental car you can and drive it to the airport in Colorado Springs. Turn that car in and rent a car from CS instead. We've saved over $1k for the week and upgraded to a full-size SUV in the process more than once before.

BTW - Denver is a little over an hour away. LODO has MUCH better options for dining and is worth the drive. Boulder is also really cool and only about 40 minutes further north from there. Nothing against Colorado Springs but you are east of the Rockies and in a bit of a rain shadow. IOW, it's not as forest-y as you might expect - and definitely a lower tax bracket than Denver and Boulder.

We stayed in Manitou Springs instead of Colorado Springs. We did the Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak (driving to the top). We also drove west to Buena Vista for a couple nights and did a day trip to the ghost town of St. Elmo, before driving up to Leadville and the Rocky Mountain National Park. It’s beautiful country out there, whatever you choose to do for entertainment.

Going up didn't seem to bother anybody. It's also a little harder to breath at 14000 feet.

A little harder? It can be pretty tough. There are certain risks to being up that high due to to low oxygen levels. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of it, because many do it safely. However, anyone going to Pikes Peak should know what hypoxia is like and be aware of what the symptoms are. If someone is starting to show symptoms, it might be worth taking a break.

Of course it might be helpful if one is already acclimated to the altitude in Colorado Springs or Denver. I think the highest I've ever been was around 10,000 feet. One time I was at sea level (like on Maui or starting at home the day before going to Tahoe) but it was a bit easier when I had spend a few weeks at 4-7K ft altitude (once in Utah after I'd taken an extensive national parks trip).

Last edited:
A little harder? It can be pretty tough. There are certain risks to being up that high due to to low oxygen levels. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of it, because many do it safely. However, anyone going to Pikes Peak should know what hypoxia is like and be aware of what the symptoms are. If someone is starting to show symptoms, it might be worth taking a break.

Of course it might be helpful if one is already acclimated to the altitude in Colorado Springs or Denver. I think the highest I've ever been was around 10,000 feet. One time I was at sea level (like on Maui or starting at home the day before going to Tahoe) but it was a bit easier when I had spend a few weeks at 4-7K ft altitude (once in Utah after I'd taken an extensive national parks trip).
I was there for my daughters graduation from Colorado College and my mother was with us. I noticed a bit of a problem, not bad, due to the small amount of COPD from years of smoking, but my mother was really having a hard time at the top. A year later she was diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis. She didn't know she had it at the time. She was having a little bit of a problem even in Colorado Springs proper but we just all thought it was because she just wasn't used to the elevation.

The Royal Gorge suspension bridge is worth experiencing. When I was there last you could drive your car over it, but I understand you can't anymore. If one is not afraid of heights to the point of paralyzation it has a magnificent view and the wooden plank floor of the bridge is a challenge to your adrenaline or at least it was when you could drive over it.

View attachment 776618 View attachment 776619

I lived there 2000-2004 so things may have changed since then, but I drove my car across that suspension bridge as well as walked across it - it's fun but definitely not for anyone afraid of heights.

I drove to top of Pikes Peak 4-5 times, whenever friends would come to town - we'd go inside the snack bar at the top and get some fresh donuts and have a coffee and only spend about 20 minutes up there as the lack of oxygen for those not acclimated makes most say OK I've seen it and got my pics let's start back down.

Have a good time!

What are the must sees? Anything to avoid? Any insider tips? How bad is driving to the peak of Mt Evans? I've read everything from it was great and not dangerous to worst road ever, don't do it...
OP, where are you travelling from? If you are coming from sea level, please be aware that altitude sickness is a real thing so be aware of headaches, nausea, vomiting if you do go to the top of Pikes Peak or Mt Evans.

Also, don't ride a bike up to the top of Mt. Evans. Trust me on that. In one section it took me 2:25 hours to go 18 miles but only 45 minutes to go down (with two stops to take pictures).

Drive Pikes Peak only if you have experience with mountain roads.

If you have younger kids, The North Pole was fun a million years ago when I was a kid.

Colorado City is a nice little town, as is Manitou Springs.

Visit the Broadmoor Hotel. The Golden Bee is a fun place to have a drink.

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is really nice.

Cave of the Winds

Also note that while someone upthread said it takes an hour to get from Denver to the Springs, that only on a great traffic day. At the end of June our usual 90-minute drive to us 3 hours because of accidents. It took us 2.5 hours to get from the Springs to Mile High Stadium. Plan ahead if you have to drive to DIA, as in add in at least a 2 hours for travel because you never know what to expect with Denver/Colorado Springs traffic.

I forgot about the Santa North Pole park. It looked cute as we drove by, but we didn’t stop.

OP, where are you travelling from? If you are coming from sea level, please be aware that altitude sickness is a real thing so be aware of headaches, nausea, vomiting if you do go to the top of Pikes Peak or Mt Evans.

Also, don't ride a bike up to the top of Mt. Evans. Trust me on that. In one section it took me 2:25 hours to go 18 miles but only 45 minutes to go down (with two stops to take pictures).

Drive Pikes Peak only if you have experience with mountain roads.

If you have younger kids, The North Pole was fun a million years ago when I was a kid.

Colorado City is a nice little town, as is Manitou Springs.

Visit the Broadmoor Hotel. The Golden Bee is a fun place to have a drink.

Cave of the Winds

Also note that while someone upthread said it takes an hour to get from Denver to the Springs, that only on a great traffic day. At the end of June our usual 90-minute drive to us 3 hours because of accidents. It took us 2.5 hours to get from the Springs to Mile High Stadium. Plan ahead if you have to drive to DIA, as in add in at least a 2 hours for travel because you never know what to expect with Denver/Colorado Springs traffic.
This. Add hikes at Garden of the Gods, Red Rock Canyon Open Space, and North Cheyenne Canyon Park.

I’m in the area now, working at a high school STEM camp at the USAFA. My daughter is one of the campers. It’s been a blast! We spent a few days touring before the camp. We took our rental car to the summit of Pikes Peak (awesome views AND donuts). We also drove Phantom Canyon Road from the Royal Gorge area to Cripple Creek and Gold Camp Road in the local area. Don’t tell Alamo!

The zoo is awesome!

Definitely!

Seven Falls is pretty.

If you’re physically up to it, Manitou Incline is a challenging fitness excursion.

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. That headache you’ve got? Grab water.

The Skirted Heifer has great fries and get your burger “skirted” (cheese spilling off the patty and griddled).

Car rental money saving tip; Fly into Colorado Springs if you can, but if you fly into Denver, rent the cheapest rental car you can and drive it to the airport in Colorado Springs. Turn that car in and rent a car from CS instead. We've saved over $1k for the week and upgraded to a full-size SUV in the process more than once before.

BTW - Denver is a little over an hour away. LODO has MUCH better options for dining and is worth the drive. Boulder is also really cool and only about 40 minutes further north from there. Nothing against Colorado Springs but you are east of the Rockies and in a bit of a rain shadow. IOW, it's not as forest-y as you might expect - and definitely a lower tax bracket than Denver and Boulder.
Thanks for this info. We got a very good company rate for the car but I'll check rate for the CS airport as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter