Concert photography

(I'm still trying to get rid of the memories of an avant garde Nutcracker performance featuring rubber duckies, inner tubes and snorkle fins! LOL)

I'm speechless...

The choice was really between the Christmas Spectacular in NYC (which I have been to, but DH has not...but I eliminated that once I figured out what a whole day trip to NYC would cost - train+food+tickets+cabs+shopping, ugh!), the Nutcracker Ballet (which I have seen and DH has not, but is great...the Philadelphia Ballet Company does it and there are no rubber duckies involved :goodvibes ) and the TSO concert. I'm so glad to hear that they put on a good show. I'm not center-stage front row but for $50 each managed to get some good seats so I'm excited. I love their Christmas albums, the God Bless Ye Merry Gentlemen/Carol of the Bells combo gives me chills on CD!

Thanks for the input!

My hubby is a HUGE TSO fan. It's not always the same guys all the time so it may depend on who's playing and what their photo preferences are. Hubby is friendly with the inner Metal crowd (groups and promoters) so I'll ask him to ask around and see if he can find anything out.

TSO is the alter-ego of the heavy metal band Savatage (listen to Gutter Ballet). Their first Christmas album did very well and they saw a great opportunity. In order to maximize the potential in a short holiday season they split up and started performing on both coasts with half the band in each location. Local orchestras and backup singers filled out the ensemble.

Their performance was ok (very good light show and effects) but we were disappointed to only get half a band. Still, there is nothing quite like it and if you enjoy their music you should have a really good time!

TSO is the alter-ego of the heavy metal band Savatage (listen to Gutter Ballet). Their first Christmas album did very well and they saw a great opportunity. In order to maximize the potential in a short holiday season they split up and started performing on both coasts with half the band in each location. Local orchestras and backup singers filled out the ensemble.

Their performance was ok (very good light show and effects) but we were disappointed to only get half a band. Still, there is nothing quite like it and if you enjoy their music you should have a really good time!

I think the fact that they are the "alter-ego" of a heavy metal band is one of the reasons I like them so much. I grew up listening to heavy metal, classic rock, etc. because it was what my dad liked and rock is my favorite genre of music now. I have seen regular orchestras perform before, but never a "rock orchestra", so I'm excited...I love their Christmas music.

If anyone else is a fan of this type of instrumental music, you should check out Apocalyptica. They are a cello-rock band that made their name doing covers of Metallica songs. They're great.

I grew up listening to heavy metal, classic rock, etc.because it was what my dad liked and rock is my favorite genre of music now.
Okay, this made me feel very old, lol!

"Half a band" has always been the norm when they're touring to my recollection. One of these times we'll make it to see them. They always seem to be here when Hubby is on night shift.
Hubby says you probably wouldn't have an issue with a point and shoot but doubts seriously you'd be able to get the DSLR in. He seems to believe it depends more on the venue so I'd give them a call.

Okay, this made me feel very old, lol!

"Half a band" has always been the norm when they're touring to my recollection. One of these times we'll make it to see them. They always seem to be here when Hubby is on night shift.
Hubby says you probably wouldn't have an issue with a point and shoot but doubts seriously you'd be able to get the DSLR in. He seems to believe it depends more on the venue so I'd give them a call.

How is this then, instead of "that is what my Dad always listened to" I'll say....heavy metal and classic rock is what I grew up on. I am a child of the 80's..I'm only 24, so technically most of the music I love was before my time or being put out when I was very young.

I will definitely give the venue a call, but I have been to concerts there before and other family members have never had issues with DSLRs being brought in. If I can only bring a point and shoot, I will probably just skip a camera all together because my Canon Elph doesn't have 10x zoom or anything like that, so the chances of getting anything other than dark pictures with blurry people is slim to none. Heck, even if I can bring the dSLR, I may not, only because I am sitting center stage but all the way across the arena, so I would need a really good zoom to get some worth-while shots.

Thanks for the info! :goodvibes

How is this then, instead of "that is what my Dad always listened to" I'll say....heavy metal and classic rock is what I grew up on. I am a child of the 80's..I'm only 24, so technically most of the music I love was before my time or being put out when I was very young.
Doesn't help, lol, I think it makes me feel older, considering I actually witnessed the birth of Metal probably along with your Dad (I'm 40 which didn't feel so old haha).:lmao:

disclaimer: I'm not really insulted, just playing.....:goodvibes

edited to add: Well if you can get a DSLR in, awesome but I doubt the 18-200 is going to be any good in the dark with flashing lights etc.

Doesn't help, lol, I think it makes me feel older, considering I actually witnessed the birth of Metal probably along with your Dad (I'm 40 which didn't feel so old haha).:lmao:

disclaimer: I'm not really insulted, just playing.....:goodvibes

HAHAHA, oh trust me...I knew (or at the very least hoped) you were kidding. My Dad (who passed away about 3 years ago) would be 53 now, so he probably witnessed the birth of much more than metal, so try not to feel too old. 40 is the new 30, after all. :thumbsup2

I witnessed the birth of boy bands like Hanson, the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. Boy, what a special time in music history! ;)

HAHAHA, oh trust me...I knew (or at the very least hoped) you were kidding. My Dad (who passed away about 3 years ago) would be 53 now, so he probably witnessed the birth of much more than metal, so try not to feel too old. 40 is the new 30, after all. :thumbsup2
I'm so sorry to hear that, I couldn't imagine. My Dad is only 58 (yep, my parents were teen parents) and he's been a huge influence on my music choices. I'm a Rock and Roll baby at heart.

I witnessed the birth of boy bands like Hanson, the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. Boy, what a special time in music history! ;)
Ack, a dark period in music history!:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

This has been fun reading about you young ones talking about old music. At age 53 I remember the first time I heard a Beetles 45 and that Satisfaction by the Stones was banned on some radio stations.

If you get your DSLR in the venue and my bet is you will not, set your camera to spot metering if it has it and meter on the darkest part of what you are taking. Then try other things. You are also right that to get any shots with the 18-200 you will have to crank the ISO to it's highest setting and see what you get. The noise will be pretty distinct with that camera. You definitely want to shoot RAW.

I am writing this from work, but when I get home, I will post some pics of the shows on the curise taken with a 70-200. That was fun!

I have tickets to tomorrow nights show, and on the tickets it states "no cameras/recorders". I'm not going to try and bring my dslr, but I will bring my point and shoot, if I get any good pictures I'll post them (first I have to figure out how).

I have tickets to tomorrow nights show, and on the tickets it states "no cameras/recorders". I'm not going to try and bring my dslr, but I will bring my point and shoot, if I get any good pictures I'll post them (first I have to figure out how).

Hrmmmm, I did the print at home tickets and mine say nothing about video/camera/recorders. I looked up the Wachovia Center's specific restrictions and they say no video equipment or recorders, but nothing about cameras. My friends in the past have gotten their DSLRs into the complex for concerts and for Flyers hockey games...so I'm wondering if what is on your ticket is a specific TSO policy, or maybe just the venue you are at. :confused3

Definitely let me know, I'd appreciate it! :thumbsup2

Oh, you "young things" are killing me here! Heck, I've got a sweater hanging in my closet that is almost 40 years old. (Really!--I sure wish it fit; it was my high school sweater; all the rage at the time) I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
And the way my back is feeling today, I'd say 50 is the new 70! LOL

Oh, you "young things" are killing me here! Heck, I've got a sweater hanging in my closet that is almost 40 years old. (Really!--I sure wish it fit; it was my high school sweater; all the rage at the time) I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.
And the way my back is feeling today, I'd say 50 is the new 70! LOL

Haha, too funny. The other day I jokingly made a comment about "It's all downhill after 24" (I just turned 24 the other week and shortly thereafter broke my first tooth and also got an ear infection - I felt like I was beginning to fall apart). You should have seen the looks on the faces of those who I work with (most from 40ish all the way up to 70's)...I swear, they looked like they wanted to kill me. :scared1:

Completely random question, but I will be seeing the Trans Siberian Orchestra at the end of the month to get in the Christmas spirit and just wanted to know:

1. Does the band have a specific photo policy or do you think I'll be safe just sticking to the Wachovia Center guidelines?

2. Has anyone ever seen them perform live and if so, how'd you like it? We were trying to settle on a Christmas show and it was between this and the Nutcracker Ballet...needless to say, DH liked the concert idea better than the ballet :goodvibes

3. For anyone who has seen it live, any photos you would like to share? I probably won't get any...I doubt my 18-200vr will do much good from where we are sitting and I don't think DH would be up for me renting a lens for one concert.

Thanks!
Ann :wizard:

I have seen them live twice in two different cities. They are great and if I can I will go again this year here in Baltimore. :thumbsup2

The concerts are a bit "dark" and would be difficult to shoot well. I did shoot some a Mannheim Steamroller concert and had mixed results so I have not tried at TSO.

If you want good photos ..... buy the program. :goodvibes

If you want good photos ..... buy the program. :goodvibes

I'll have to do that. It's our first time seeing them, I'm hoping I'll enjoy it so much that it becomes a tradition for the holiday season each year.

I figured if I wasn't front row (or within a few) I probably wouldn't be close enough to even get shots where people didn't look like ants :goodvibes

If you get your DSLR in the venue and my bet is you will not, set your camera to spot metering if it has it and meter on the darkest part of what you are taking. !

if it's typical concert lighting spot metering the darkest parts, will over expose the faces..:confused3

I agree with you Mickey88. If you notice, my next sentence was to then see what you get. My generic observation is that those new to theater shots tend to get underexposed because the lights get in the way. My thought was if they started there they could adjust out.

I agree with you Mickey88. If you notice, my next sentence was to then see what you get. My generic observation is that those new to theater shots tend to get underexposed because the lights get in the way. My thought was if they started there they could adjust out.

If spot metering, why not meter off of a face..

Hrmmmm, I did the print at home tickets and mine say nothing about video/camera/recorders. I looked up the Wachovia Center's specific restrictions and they say no video equipment or recorders, but nothing about cameras. My friends in the past have gotten their DSLRs into the complex for concerts and for Flyers hockey games...so I'm wondering if what is on your ticket is a specific TSO policy, or maybe just the venue you are at. :confused3

Definitely let me know, I'd appreciate it! :thumbsup2

Cameras are definitely not allowed, our purses were checked going into the concert, and they advised if you had a camera you either had to give it up or take it back to the car, I have taken a camera into the Saddledome several times, so I don't think it was a venue policy. This also includes your cellphone, if security or an usher noticed that you had a cellphone opened they would ask you to turn it off.
Other than that the show was amazing, they played 3.5 hours straight no intermission. This was the first time for me and I would go again in a heartbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter