Concert photography

was this a small venue, like a nightclub, generally DSLR's and long lenses aren't even permitted inside concerts

You got 15 keepers... keep doing that. Just keep moving forward and each time you'll get more keepers.

And I agree, RAW is your very best freind in situations like this.

RAW can certainly be your friend for uncertain lighting conditions but Manual is *not* your friend for concerts. Stage lighting can change rapidly and just keeping things in focus is challenge enough. Try aperture priority (mostly at wide open) and let the camera sort out the shutter speed. Spot metering is helpful with spotlit and backlit subjects.
A stop less of exposure compensation can help hold the low lighting effect but check the histogram occasionally to avoid major underexposure.

was this a small venue, like a nightclub, generally DSLR's and long lenses aren't even permitted inside concerts

This was a small venue. I had permission and access to shoot the show through a friend.

You got 15 keepers... keep doing that. Just keep moving forward and each time you'll get more keepers.

And I agree, RAW is your very best freind in situations like this.

Thank you!

RAW can certainly be your friend for uncertain lighting conditions but Manual is *not* your friend for concerts. Stage lighting can change rapidly and just keeping things in focus is challenge enough. Try aperture priority (mostly at wide open) and let the camera sort out the shutter speed. Spot metering is helpful with spotlit and backlit subjects.
A stop less of exposure compensation can help hold the low lighting effect but check the histogram occasionally to avoid major underexposure.

OK, great! This is very helpful. Thank you!

Hi, looking for a little advice after lurking over this board like always...
My friend's band is playing at the House of Blues soon and got me a photopass for their set. I've never shoot a show from the photo pit with my dSLR (usually I'm there purely to enjoy the show and I'm in the crowd with my p&s). I have a Canon 20D and a Rebel Xti, both of which I'm taking so I can run two lenses at once, or that's the plan so far...:confused3
Anyone have any experience shooting a concert? Advice, tips, help? I'm thinking of renting a wide angle lens?

My friend's band is playing at the House of Blues soon and got me a photopass for their set. I've never shoot a show from the photo pit with my dSLR (usually I'm there purely to enjoy the show and I'm in the crowd with my p&s). I have a Canon 20D and a Rebel Xti, both of which I'm taking so I can run two lenses at once, or that's the plan so far...:confused3
Anyone have any experience shooting a concert? Advice, tips, help? I'm thinking of renting a wide angle lens?

a wide angle lens would be nice but for low light concerts a large aperture lens would be better. e.g. f1.4, f1.8 or at a minimum f2.8

contact the venue and get details on what they allow, some places will let you in the pit for 2-3 songs and then you're outta there, it would be good to know in advance so you know how much time you will have

a wide angle lens would be nice but for low light concerts a large aperture lens would be better. e.g. f1.4, f1.8 or at a minimum f2.8

Ah okay, thanks :) I was kind of looking for a reason to rent a wide angle lol, but maybe I'll rent something else then. I have 7 lenses at home though so I'll have to see.

contact the venue and get details on what they allow, some places will let you in the pit for 2-3 songs and then you're outta there, it would be good to know in advance so you know how much time you will have

Yah it's the House of Blues and I know they have and "3 and out" policy but my close friend is in the band so she's going to see if I can stay for their whole set (7 songs). If not, I'm guest listed so I have full access so I'd just run to side stage for the rest of the set.

Ok, so I have a Canon PowerShot SD790 IS, 10 megapixels and just the standard zoom. Can anyone give me any tips on taking good indoor concert photos? I've been to lots of concerts and have gotten some great shots just using the 'auto' mode but i know if i had some advice my shots would turn out better.

I've been going to a lot of shows lately and been pretty happy with my photos. I posted some on Flickr so you could see the EXIF data. If your camera has a "sports" mode, I find that handles concert photos pretty well. High ISO, quick shutter, no flash...

These are all with a point and shoot with no post processing. I have run a bunch of them through the noise filter but I have a not-super-convient for publishing workflow right now so you get the versions out of iPhoto.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisonkl/

thanks!!
those are some great shots too! I heard Brad Paisley puts on a really good show.

Just got my first concert practice in the other day with a similar camera. Damn that is hard work. Between the constant lighting changes, the constant motion, the movement around the stage, the fans jumping into your shot... Shoot hard, shoot fast, and use your continuous shooting mode. Just as you frame a great shot, the performer will start waving their hands in a blur and headbanging. If you have a sequence of rapid bursts, it will increase the chances you have one clear shot. Of course, in the case of a drum solo, the motion blur on the drum sticks makes for a nice effect.

If you'll be stationary, frame a good shot of the stage and practice the shot even when the star isn't in it. When they move into the shot, fire away.

I didn't really care to move around, but it would have dramatically increased the number of good shots and angles if I had walked the different views of the stage. I got about 4 good shots out of 30 but need to fix the exposures.

Taylor Dayne at the F&W festival.

A little more practice with Kool & The Gang... The show was awesome BTW.

Same stage, better position, better lighting, high ISO and shutter speed as PP stated. Tv around 1/60 1/50, ISO 400, +2EV continuous shots.

IMG_5251.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5149.jpg

I am looking to get a new camera and would like some advice. I go to a lot of concerts and would really like to get some good pictures. We also do a lot of hiking here in Colorado so I want some good landscape pics. Something that's not too terribly large...I have a Canon Rebel and it is ridiculous to lug around. Any suggestions? I have a Kodak EasyShare right now and its just not cutting it.

I don't know how much advice I can provide, but it sounds like you want a camera with the capabilities of a DSLR in a P n S. Which Canon Rebel do you have? Unfortunately there are few, if any, P n S' cameras that will work for low light action shots. They work great when there is good lighting, but that is not the case at concerts. Are you looking for a bridge camera? I think you may have to supply a little more information as to what your needs are. The one thing that is stressed in this forum is that cameras don't take pictures, but photographers do. I don't know what your experience level is, but if you could provide that also we may be able to point you in the right direction.

What types of concerts? Are you talking professional ones or local ones by the school band or choir?

How close can you get to the stage?

The Canon S95 and G12 will give you more dslr like control, but they don't have great zoom.

What would produce the best shots would be a new L lens for your Rebel and if you aren't already, learn to process raw pictures.

As is stated, p and s is great for portability, but doesn't always get the shot in that venue. Outside, you'll have more luck.

Are these the sort of concerts that will even let you bring in a DSLR? Some venues will allow a P & S, but nothing with an interchangeable lens.

If they do allow a DSLR, then I would think upgrading to a better lens could be a huge help. And yes, knowing how close you are likely to be to the stage would be helpful to know too.

I assumed the OP was talking about professional concerts rather than school or community things. Therefore a Rebel w/L lense just isn't going to work as "professional" camera is almost universally barred by the venue &/or artists.

I've gotten acceptable results with my Lumix p&s. It all depends on if you know what settings to use. You won't get good results in auto. I could absolutely do better with the 70-200 2.8 but I've got ones I can live with.

I have some on my flikr account. I'm on a phone right now. This is the mobile link http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/alisonkl/ but I think the full site is flickr.com/photos/alisonkl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter