Confused about Savanna(h) Views

Maistre Gracey

DIS Veteran
Okay, if Savanna(h) Views will be a request for all room categories, than what differentiates those rooms from the Savanna(h) View rooms? I know the Savanna(h) View rooms will have a guaranteed savanna(h) view and the others won't, but what differentiates these rooms in the first place?

Does DVC take two identical rooms, with two identical views, and relegate one of them as a Savanna(h) View and one as Standard? :confused3

MG

I thought the standard room were smaller - more like BCV, VWL.

while the savanna views were the bigger ones?

I also though that only the value rooms were all over the place. not the standard.

I thought you can be lucky to get a smaller point amount room, standard or value that has a glimpse of the savannah, but you were guaranteed a savannah view with that category. I don't think you can request a value room with a savannah view, but then again, I don't think you can request a value room with a parking lot or bus stop view either.

Bobbi

Savannah describes the view: Standard and Deluxe describe the room size: Standard = room for four; Deluxe = room for five (for studios).

I thought you can be lucky to get a smaller point amount room, standard or value that has a glimpse of the savannah, but you were guaranteed a savannah view with that category. I don't think you can request a value room with a savannah view, but then again, I don't think you can request a value room with a parking lot or bus stop view either.

Bobbi

You CAN request a savanna view room in both value and standard, but it is not guaranteed like it is in savanna view.

You just wanted to see how many times you could say savanna(h) in one post! ;)

Savannah describes the view: Standard and Deluxe describe the room size: Standard = room for four; Deluxe = room for five (for studios).

Where has this been posted (officially)? The point charts don't differentiate between standard and deluxe in terms of room size (at least by name), and standard is listing clear as "standard view" not "standard room."

The only official information I've seen posted is the point charts from the MyDVC website.

Dirk

Okay, I'm trying to re-read this stuff on room types, and I'm confusing myself exponentially.

Is a Savanna(h) View room the same as a Standard room with a guaranteed view?
I thought I read you can request a standard room with a savanna(h) view.

If that's true, then I'm back to my original question. :confused:

MG

Okay, I'm trying to re-read this stuff on room types, and I'm confusing myself exponentially.

Is a Savanna(h) View room the same as a Standard room with a guaranteed view?
I thought I read you can request a standard room with a savanna(h) view.

If that's true, then I'm back to my original question. :confused:

MG

The problem is that AKL has standard sized rooms and deluxe sized rooms, as well as standard view (parking lot), pool view, and savanna view. (Disney drops the 'h").

DVC describes DAKV rooms as studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, GV with Value View, Standard View, Savanna View, Concierge (which is not necessarily a savanna view). In other words, the terms aren't meshing.

So, my take (pure speculation, but based on reading serveral room spec threads on this and other boards):

Standard view are the smaller standard sized AKL rooms and views are assigned on a "run of house" basis. That is, you might get pool view, or you might get savanna view, based on what is available at time of check-in. I doubt you would get parking lot, because those are probably Value View. However, some have reported that Value View might also get a savanna glimpse but are otherwise not as desirable for their view.

Guaranteed Savanna View might be the old AKL deluxe rooms with a guaranteed savanna view. (But what about the deluxe old AKL rooms with pool view? would they be 'standard' view in DVC terms, so you could get a smaller or larger standard view room? Very confusing).

Personally, I think these various views have come into play (and are quite confusing) because Jambo House is being "retrofitted" to DVC standard and Kidana Village is likely to be more consistent. For instance, rooms might be all the same size (not standrd v. deluxe) in Kidana Village, so only view comes into play.

Anyway - that' why I questined Bicker's answer - the AKL classification system just doesn't mesh with the DVC classification system.

Dirk

The problem is that AKL has standard sized rooms and deluxe sized rooms, as well as standard view (parking lot), pool view, and savanna view. (Disney drops the 'h").

DVC describes DAKV rooms as studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, GV with Value View, Standard View, Savanna View, Concierge (which is not necessarily a savanna view). In other words, the terms aren't meshing.

So, my take (pure speculation, but based on reading serveral room spec threads on this and other boards):

Standard view are the smaller standard sized AKL rooms and views are assigned on a "run of house" basis. That is, you might get pool view, or you might get savanna view, based on what is available at time of check-in. I doubt you would get parking lot, because those are probably Value View. However, some have reported that Value View might also get a savanna glimpse but are otherwise not as desirable for their view.

Guaranteed Savanna View might be the old AKL deluxe rooms with a guaranteed savanna view. (But what about the deluxe old AKL rooms with pool view? would they be 'standard' view in DVC terms, so you could get a smaller or larger standard view room? Very confusing).

Personally, I think these various views have come into play (and are quite confusing) because Jambo House is being "retrofitted" to DVC standard and Kidana Village is likely to be more consistent. For instance, rooms might be all the same size (not standrd v. deluxe) in Kidana Village, so only view comes into play.

Anyway - that' why I questined Bicker's answer - the AKL classification system just doesn't mesh with the DVC classification system.

Dirk
Thanx for all the good info, Dirk. Your explanation is as good as any I've heard as of yet, but I'm not sure any of us have this completely nailed down. :smokin:

MG

Hmmmm...

Here's my impression (just to further make things confusing):

Value rooms = the smaller (non-deluxe) AKL rooms being converted. They'll be less sq footage than any of the other rooms, so cost less points. View could be parking lot (quite a few of them, I think), pool, or possibly not optimal savannah (not many of these, I think).

Standard rooms = Deluxe rooms that don't have any, or don't have an "optimal", view of the savannah. You get a larger room than a value, but the view could be pool, "obscured" savannah, or "parking lot" (don't think there are many, if any, deluxe parking lot views...not sure). Your view is not guarenteed.

Savannah = Deluxe rooms with the optimal savannah views. View is guarenteed.

Concierge = Deluxe rooms on the 6th floor, with pool or savannah views, and access to the Concierge lounge, staff, and benefits. View not guarenteed.

All just my impression, as I said, from all the info in the various AKV threads discussing room size, number, and location for the conversion (AKV schematics is a good one).

Are the rooms facing the drive-up (on the guest login picture) standard and value, with the ones facing the back being savanna(h) and concierge? From the drawings of the separate DVC, it seems a similar set-up to the BWV's front and back views.:confused3
(Can't wait 'til they start building so we can get the real story!)

From what I can tell from my sources, the only concierge rooms will be in Jambo House, converted from the existing 6th floor AKL concierge villas, into 5 2 BR suites (or 5 one BR and 5 Studios). I don't think there will be any concierge villas in Kidana Village.

In the Kidana Village, my guess is that standard view villas will have pool/garden view, and value view will have parking lot view. Savanna view, of course, will be self-explanatory. Kidana Village would therefore have only 3 of the 4 possible classes of villas (value, standard, savanna) whereas Jambo House would have all 4 (value, standard, savanna, concierge).

Dirk

Thanks so much for the explanation, carolina_yankee. I'm trying to figure out what the room I stayed in, when it was an AKL, will be under this new "system". It was on the 5th floor, pool view, right around the corner from the elevators. And right outside my room was a nice bench overlooking the savanna ( no "H").

DSCF0316.jpg

Room view:
DSCF0315.jpg

I loved this room. It sounds like it would be a standard room, do I have that right?

Yes, I think it would be a standard view room in the DVC point system. Nice view of the pool! As long as I can see the savanna form the lodge, I really think the pool view rooms are almost as nice.

Dirk

It looks like there will not be very many value rooms with a parking view. Most of the parking view rooms on the 5th floor will remain part of the AKL. There may be only 12 standard parking view rooms on the 5th floor being converted into the AKV. If 3 rooms = a 2br lockoff, this gives you 4 value rooms with parking views.

I think most of the values may come from the fact that our equation of 3 rooms = a 2BR doesn't work cleanly where most of the hallways only have 7 or 8 rooms. The leftover space in each of those hallways may be allocated to value studios and 1 BRs, which would mean that these roooms will truly be distributed all over the 5th floor and that many of them will have a savanna view.

Using the 3 rooms = a 2BR may also be a problem on the 6th floor. 15 rooms works fine if there are 5 halls of 3 rooms each, but I am guesing that there are either 4 halls or 3 halls.

There look to be about 51 deluxe rooms that overlook the pool on the 5th floor of the AKL. These would convert to about 13 2 BR lockoffs (plus leftover space for values). I would suspect that most of the standard view rooms would have this view. Of course, this would be the first resort at WDW where you could see water and were not beign given a "preferred view."

So assuming there are 5 CL 2 BRs on the 6th floor, here's my guess for the 134 AKV units in the current building:

5 club 2 BR lockoff (or more if some 5th floor SV get the CL pixie dust)
71 2 BR lockoff savanna (or fewer if some of these get the CL pixie dust)
13 2 br lockoff standard (with pool views)
4 2br lockoff value (with parking views)
12 dedicated value studios with pool view
29 dedicated value studios with savanna view

Go ahead; my skin is thick. Feel free to take as many potshots as you want!

-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter