Considering purchasing

Thank you for this perspective. Knowing Disney will just take it back easily is a relief. Given that info, and your point about Copper Creek selling higher later (if we or our kids choose), makes me lean towards CCV.

In continuing your due diligence, consider what times of year you plan to travel and whether you will be primarily booking studios, which can be challenging to book at times at CCV:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/no-availability-in-a-copper-creek-studio-at-11-months.3813006/

Do you need 150 points direct buy to receive the “full member” benefits?
Just to clarify... You need 150 points direct for Membership Extra benefits, this includes Moonlight Magic, discounts, exchanges within the Disney Collection, etc.. If you buy less than 150 points, you wont have access to the Membership Extras but you can still use them in all current and future DVC resorts. Apologies if you meant this initially, but Disney likes to make things confusing...

This is exactly right. Once you pass away, your kids have no legal obligation to take over the contract.
The reality is that the statement is true but it doesn't really answer the question. Yes, the kids don't have to assume the contracts but the estate may. This is one of the reasons why I have said before in threads where estate planning comes up that you should make sure that your attorney goes over the options for timeshares. You don't want default trust language where there is a blanket assumption. I've run into this numerous times in administrations where the old trust documents provide for the assumption and the trust is now saddled with a worthless timeshare liability that costs real money to get rid of.

However, I don't believe this will really be an issue for DVC. DVC is the unicorn of the timeshare world in that it holds and a lot of time accumulates value. Obviously if you purchase a resort with a 2042 expiration and it's 2040 when you are trying to sell, it's not going to have much value.

Yes, that would certainly be a concern. I think we may travel there just the two of us maybe 50% or more trips, so we wouldn’t need more than a studio.
When do you most frequently go and when do you prefer to stay at Copper Creek?

Obviously if you purchase a resort with a 2042 expiration and it's 2040 when you are trying to sell, it's not going to have much value.
But on the positive side, you're only "stuck" with two years of dues! And if there is no desire to use it can rent the points out through a broker easily enough probably too.

Or just let Disney take it by not paying the dues.

Will need to look real hard at price delta for direct and resale. Its currently a $450 discount basically since otherwise you have to buy the top tier pass (which also doesnt have any blackout dates, unlike the dvc tier which does, and that might be an issue for you too)

Lets round it off, say its a $1,000 per year discount, if there is a huge delta between direct and resale it'll take a decade plus of you getting an AP every single year before that becomes a saving.

Ive no clue what the current delta is for CCV between direct and resale, but since its a sold out resort you will pay through the nose to get direct points there so wouldnt be shocked if it was like a 20k difference so you're talking 20 years before that AP discount "pays for itself"

ETA: And also even being able to buy an AP is not a guarantee either, so what if they stop selling them for whatever reason like they have before?
The price difference is pretty significant. I was seeing 150s in the resale market and last I knew it was 250 a point direct. 😳

Will need to look real hard at price delta for direct and resale. Its currently a $450 discount basically since otherwise you have to buy the top tier pass (which also doesnt have any blackout dates, unlike the dvc tier which does, and that might be an issue for you too)

Lets round it off, say its a $1,000 per year discount, if there is a huge delta between direct and resale it'll take a decade plus of you getting an AP every single year before that becomes a saving.

Ive no clue what the current delta is for CCV between direct and resale, but since its a sold out resort you will pay through the nose to get direct points there so wouldnt be shocked if it was like a 20k difference so you're talking 20 years before that AP discount "pays for itself"

ETA: And also even being able to buy an AP is not a guarantee either, so what if they stop selling them for whatever reason like they have before?
The purchase price difference isn’t all just cut and dry … we are taking 5 people to Moonlight magic at least twice this year so there is another $1000+ benefit of direct purchase … not guaranteed I know but direct members at least have a chance at attending those which is a nice benefit

When do you most frequently go and when do you prefer to stay at Copper Creek?
We have been just after Thanksgiving (which we loved), and late January/February. I’d also like to go for Halloween season at least once. We try to go when it’s not super busy. We haven’t stayed at Copper Creek, we’ve always stayed at Wilderness Lodge.

This helps, thank you all for your thoughts. I think I’ll start looking into resale and also see what the terms are for the Cabins.

One more question, do I remember correctly that if you don’t buy direct you miss out on using your points elsewhere, like Europe for example?
If you buy resale you cannot exchange your points for Disney offerings, like cruises on DCL, other non DVC Disney resort rooms, or Disney European travel offerings. However, none of these are good value for point use.
You can exchange your resale points via the outside exchange company DVC contracts w/, which is currently Interval (IL) & used to be RCI. Interval has exchange properties worldwide, including Europe, how easy these are to trade into or whether it’s a good use of points I don’t know - but you could deposit your DVC points into IL & then book a place via IL in Europe.
We have been just after Thanksgiving (which we loved), and late January/February. I’d also like to go for Halloween season at least once. We try to go when it’s not super busy. We haven’t stayed at Copper Creek, we’ve always stayed at Wilderness Lodge.
Copper Creek (CCV) is converted Wilderness Lodge Hotel rooms in the main building + several lovely but very point costly cabins along the lake. Boulder Ridge (BRV) is the original DVC at Wilderness Lodge & those villas are located in a separate smaller building. If you buy CCV you’ll be staying in Wilderness Lodge, your room, however, will be a studio, 1 br., etc. rather than a hotel room.`

Copper Creek is the main building, Boulder Ridge is the building that is adjacent to the main building. At one point Boulder Ridge was called the Villas at Wilderness Lodge but has since been renamed. Anyways if you want any chance of being able to go during that first week of December you need to own at Copper Creek. It's tough to book even at 11 months so keep that in mind.

My main concern with buying either direct or resale is the future prospect of resale. I don’t want to buy in and then leave the responsibility for yearly payments to my kids with no escape plan. If they won’t be able to resell, I don’t want to burden them with the membership if they don’t want to keep it. I’m concerned that Disney will squash resale and my kids will be stuck with the yearly dues.

We own multiple deeded weeks with Marriott Vacation Club, and also with Westin (now all part of Marriott) and more recently became DVC owners. While it's very important imo to be concerned with the "liquidity" of a timeshare asset, I can say pretty confidently that DVC timeshares are probably the most "liquid" out there. If priced "correctly" a listing doesn't last long on the market. And while some resorts may be more desirable than others, WDW resorts will probably always be desirable either as home resorts or SAP+ points. The 2042 resorts will inevitably depreciate faster in the next 15 years, but that can also be an "exit strategy" for an owner.

The purchase price difference isn’t all just cut and dry … we are taking 5 people to Moonlight magic at least twice this year so there is another $1000+ benefit of direct purchase … not guaranteed I know but direct members at least have a chance at attending those which is a nice benefit
Ok sure, but those are a complete crap shoot as to when they are and if they line up with when you plan or want to go as well.

It's not a bad perk by any means but its not exactly amazing either really imho, and definitely not worth paying an extra 20k in buy in

Ok sure, but those are a complete crap shoot as to when they are and if they line up with when you plan or want to go as well.

It's not a bad perk by any means but its not exactly amazing either really imho, and definitely not worth paying an extra 20k in buy in
Are there recommended sites for resale? Or any to steer clear of?

Are there recommended sites for resale? Or any to steer clear of?
Board sponsor is the biggest one out there. It's who we bought through and they were fine.

Really a broker is a broker for the most part, what you wanna make sure is good is the title company. You can pick your title company, and https://www.dvcclosings.com/ aka Cammy Smith is always raved about. We had her for ours actually when she was with a different outfit. She has her own company now.

You are doing the right thing by asking questions and doing your research up front. I'm a fan of buying resale first. If you buy resale, and you decide you don't like DVC, you can sell it without much loss. You can always add direct later. We love Wilderness Lodge and end up staying there a lot, even though we don't own there. I've had my eye on some of those $95/point BRV contracts that are listed on the resale sites now.

Thank you for this perspective. Knowing Disney will just take it back easily is a relief. Given that info, and your point about Copper Creek selling higher later (if we or our kids choose), makes me lean towards CCV. I know that there are still direct buy points available (as of a couple months ago) so now we just need to decide if full membership means that much to us. The WDW ticket discount is a big perk for us though. . .
We did a mix of resale and direct for that reason. We wanted access to the AP discount (which is gone for now) and to the Gold / Sorcerers pass, which saves us a lot each year.

Also, having direct points allowed us to do members only events, Moonlight Magic, and in June, the special DVC charter for the Disney Magic to Lighthouse Point (we paid 1 person on points the other on cash).

True! We won’t be too far into retirement age at that point (unless we figure out a way to retire sooner) so we might be disappointed if the contract runs out.
We started with BRV partly for the sleeps-5 studios and the earlier expiration, for a lot of the reasons you said, and then added on CCV because the Lodge IS home and we’ll still be early in retirement in 2042.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter