Convert -- Live from SSR -- Review + Compare**Update Pg. 2

thank you for posting your review of SSR, and hope that you enjoy your vacation ! :goodvibes
BTW, I also thought the counter tops were "the real thing", too ! :earseek:

Very happy that you have posted your first report. Like posted earlier knew that the convert would be fair and balanced! Would like to hear more about the main pool and slide. Look forward to your next report! :)

Sunday June 26 Update

Replies to Questions

WebmasterDoc – Quiet Pool at Congress Park & Blender
I was not aware at the time of my OP that such a thing existed in CP, thank you for the info. I did in fact go to the quiet pool last night. I was quite favorably impressed with this pool. Aside from a nicely themed play area for the kids, the pool features a nice fountain as you walk in from the fireworks viewing area. You also have a wonderful view of the skyline of DTD, especially nice at night. The pool is larger than the quiet pools I have seen at OKW, and has a pleasant decking area for chairs. The pool is accented with statues pumping water into the pool. At present, there’s not a lot of shade near the pool during the mid day hours. Many trees have been planted around the pool, and my prediction is that after they’ve grown some, this may well be one of the most pleasant quiet pools on property. As to the blender, I re-checked the list of ‘what is supposed to be in the villa’ and a blender is an item (along with a mixer and other things) which is available upon request.

MdnMin
The Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) in the real Saratoga hosts the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Newport Jazz Festival (going on right now), NYC Ballet, and other performances.

Yes, this makes more sense to me now, thank you!

Cruelladeville
to see if you still think the exhaust fans in the bathroom are cool. By the end of my trip, they were driving me crazy!

LOL! I can see that could bother some, one think I find myself doing is to take a page from Mary Poppin’s playbook – We’ve turned this into a little game. So far, I’ve found that by taking an exact path from the bedroom (hugging the wall towards the laundry area) I can make it through the room with the wash basin, and the shower stall room before triggering the fan in the “bowl” room! In fact we’ve got a bet going on if it’s possible to get to your ‘final destination’ without triggering the fan!
(yes, we’re silly people) ;)

Becca (and others)
Hmmm....my guide told me the granite counter tops were real at SSR and BCV. Are they really faux?

I too am not an expert at such things, however, let me share with you in pictures what gave me this impression;

This view is from underneath the corner of the upper countertop. It appears to my eye that some of the granite was scrapped off, most likely during installation – it appears that under what looks like granite is white in color.
wear1.jpg

This view is taken along the side of the upper countertop looking towards the balcony doors. If you look carefully there is what appears to be a seam. I would think that since granite is inclined to fracture, that it could not be split ground and polished to such a degree of thinness without it breaking up. Also, I would think that the weight of ½” – ¾” x 3’ -6’ of granite would need a beefier bracing structure under it than what it appears to have. A quick googling, did return some hits on a non-natural building material that may match what this appears to be. Also, when you knock on this material there is a audio resonance that I would not expect to find with solid stone.
seam1.jpg

RayJay
how's the main pool been, crowded or not, plus how late is that Pool Bar open till?
I have only really seen it at the time of my check in (Friday 4:30 PM) the weather was dry but mostly overcast at that time, I would estimate that no more than 20 people (kids included) were in the pool at that time. If I can, I will try to find out about the pool bar hours for you.

Walkway from Congress Park to DTD Marketplace
Yesterday late afternoon I had the time to check this out. In comparison to distance, I would say it was approximately the same distance as it is from BWV to Epcot. Certainly I would say it is not as long of a walk as is OKW to even SSR. It is very pleasant as you’re hugging the side of the lagoon. A very nice extra is a little “nature path” that you can take. While extending the distance to DTD, it’s well worth it if you enjoy that quiet ‘away from it all’ feeling in a very pretty setting.
Frankly I was a bit surprised and favorably so with this transport option. When I’m on property for the F & W festival (and it’s not 95 degrees out) I’m going to walk the loop around the entire lagoon area with a pedometer. Disney did have the foresight (unlike the BW-MGM or OKW-DTD walkways) to install benches in shaded areas. To me, this is a huge improvement. Many owing to health or even simply unaccustomed heat find it unpleasant to walk longer distances without rest bits. I’m very happy that DVC increased the user friendliness by installing these benches.

I expect I will be able to properly review the food/store option here over the next day or two. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have and I will try to respond. Let me close out this update by leaving you with a photo taken off the balcony last night
night2.jpg

:)

Thanks for the photos and the update. Love the view from your room! WOW!! Now where are the pictures of the convert on the slide???!!! :teeth:

Keep this review coming!!!

I did the tour and was also told the counters are granite.

Just FYI, I was recently shown some faux granite that looks almost exactly the same as real granite. It would be hard to tell the difference.

I was excited because I need a kitchen counter and thought this would be a great option until I heard the price....... not much less than real granite!!
(I am sure Disney would get a bulk deal)

So if I ever upgrade the counter, real granite would be the one to go with.

DVCconvert said:
While the feature pool appears nice, I simply can’t imagine that DVC can get away without building a quiet pool or two before construction here is completed.

I saw in your update that you already found the Congress Park pool. Wanted to add that the current development plan calls for a total of FIVE pools--the main feature pool and four quiet pools including the one in Congress Park. A second Quiet Pool should be opening soon along with the first buildings in The Paddock, while the other two are part of the Phase 3 development scheduled to open in 2007.

Thanks for the information. We will be checking in this coming Wednesday for our first time at SSR and will be checking in again in July for stay # 2. I am reading any and all information I can on SSR so I will be well informed.

That's a gorgeous picture of the view!

I'd love to see any more pictures of the unit or the resort that you care to post.

Hope you're having a great time!

DVCconvert,

Thanks for the detailed reviews. That is an excellent photo of the view from your room. Did you use a long exposure to get that one?

This is an excellent detailed account, and I really enjoyed reading it. My only stay at SSR so far has been in a studio, so it's interesting hearing all about the 1BR and 2BR units.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences! :)

My understanding was that the counters were either Corian or Silestone or one of the other "manmade" granite looking counters. But whether they are real granite or not seems like a nitpick. They look enough like granite and a granite like enough that people who have been there can't tell that they are not.

DVCconvert said:
Sunday June 26 Update

Becca (and others)

I too am not an expert at such things, however, let me share with you in pictures what gave me this impression;

This view is from underneath the corner of the upper countertop. It appears to my eye that some of the granite was scrapped off, most likely during installation – it appears that under what looks like granite is white in color.
wear1.jpg

:)
Are you still checked in? If so, do you think you could break off a corner of the countertop and send it down to the boys at the lab? For some reason this talk about the countertop in the bathroom cracks me up. If someone had asked me to describe that countertop, I'd prob. describe it as some kinda gray. Does anyone base their resort decisions on this???

Funny Duckfan!! :rotfl2:

On another note, since the view at SSR towards DD is great, and I think most would agree that it is, it surprises me that Disney would plant so many trees between the buildings and the view. When they grow up, won't they be blocking alot of the great view!!! Just thinking ahead! Maybe I should plan on visiting here before the trees get too tall! :flower:

That is without a doubt one of the most beautiful pictures I've seen from the Disney property. You should be a photographer in your next profession!

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter