• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Converting Disneyland tickets to Disneyworld tickets

dsnydaddy

DIS Veteran
So we are all set to head out to Disneyland on the July 4th weekend. But it’s looking more and more like that trip may be cancelled due to the current difficulties. My thoughts are that if it is cancelled then I will probably go the WDW next year. Problem is... I’ve already bought my tickets.

Am I able to convert these DL tickets to WDW?

they are three day park hoppers.

Normally, not possible.
You can always "ask nicely" for what you'd like.

With all the problems of the "current situation" it might (MIGHT) be possible to get a refund on your DLR tickets. (Which would be a more likely scenario than being able to "convert" DLR to WDW tickets.)

Did you buy your Disneyland tickets direct from Disney or from a secondary seller? Seller policies may vary. If direct from Disney, maybe they would convert your refund to a Disney gift card (which could then be used to purchase Disney World tickets).

I agree with Robo it's probably unlikely they can do a "convert" directly.

DLR tickets are non-refundable (printed on the tickets), unless you bought the trip insurance for them through an authorized vendor. However, the good news is that DLR tickets do not lose their original monetary value (= what you paid for them, the amount in the bar code), even after they expire. So, do NOT throw those tickets away! Whenever you are able to visit DLR in the future (and it can be years from now), take those tickets to the booths to upgrade them to new tickets. You should only have to pay the difference. I have not experienced Disney exchanging DLR tickets for a gift card, but you could at least ask. DLR and WDW have totally different ticketing systems, so the tickets cannot be exchanged or applied/upgraded interchangeably.

Thanks guys, I bought them through Target. I can check with them about a refund. I don’t mind doing both DLR and WDW but we’ll see.

I went through this exact thing. I had a trip planned to DLR over Easter weekend. I called DLR initially, asked about refund options. Was told no option existed, but my tickets were good for use through early 2022 - and even afterwards I could exchange there for DLR tickets at the cash value. At that point, I didn't have a new plan hatched, and I didn't know whether I was going to try to get to DLR or WDW. So I got off the phone.

Then, about 2 weeks ago - we hatched a plan to go to WDW at the end of august (which is now looking WAY less likely after seeing the beerflu adjustments the US based Disney Parks will likely make). So I called up WDW and asked them about converting my DLR tickets to WDW. They said no way. The CM was actually quite nasty about it. Was a little weirded out by how short and curt she was with me. I'll chalk it up to Corona stress...but it was still weird.

Then I called back DLR about a week ago and plead my case. All I really wanted was a conversion to WDW tickets - since I'm on the east coast and getting to California is far less likely for me over the next 4-5 years (our easter trip was going to be our first to Cali in several years). The CM put my on hold and came back and said that they couldn't do the conversion because the DLR and WDW systems are simply not connected in any way...but after a little back and forth, a brief pause for the CM to speak with a supervisor and they offered tol refund my tickets back to the original credit card.

Basically, long story short...your only option is to make a plea for a refund on your original tickets. Their front line CMs dont seem equipped to do it without some variety of supervisor override, so you have to be prepared to make a case why you can't get out to Cali any time soon - plan on going to WDW instead and hope they're willing to work with you.

I called DL twice regarding this and both times they said DL tickets are strictly for DL and they have no way of converting them to WDW tickets or refunding us with a gift card since they’re non-refundable... oh well. But if for some reason, you manage to change their minds let me know! 😅

I tried to do this but in the opposite direction last year. I actually had been speaking to a higher up because I had some big trip issues with the initially booked WDW trip and they said as much as they would like to help me they are two completely separate booking systems and nothing can be transferred just refunded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter