• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Counterfeit blue cards? Wow.

As to why Disney may have considered not spending anything extra to assure fraudulent cards could not be used, one needs to consider the outcome for Disney. The result is simply that more people than otherwise permitted could purchase items at a discount, but would still be paying a price that provides a significant profit for Disney.. In other words, Disney gained income and suffered no real loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: cm8
I have the same feelings about this as I do when people steal the decorative pillows or coffee table books. If Disney figures out that you tried to cheat the system, you get charged a huge penalty. Call it a convenience fee, I don't care, but make it expensive. That book you just stole costs $35 in our gift shop but we're going to charge you $60 to make up for the hassle of putting another one in there. People using fraudulent cards get their accounts locked until you pay up. There are people out there who will always find a way to skirt the rules, making it extremely painful to get caught is about the only deterrent you have.

Four times a year, Disney spends orders of magnitude more printing and mailing out the Disney Files Magazine (that they go to the added and unnecessary cost of putting INSIDE an envelope to-boot), a publication that they could have very easily sunsetted or converted to digital, especially during the pandemic when there really wasn't much content to even put in it.

I'm doubting the expense of sending out one-time permanent chipped or striped memberships cards at literally pennies each was the deciding factor when it came to switching to the digital wallet cards. They had their reasons, and I'm not saying they're logical or practical, but I doubt it was a budgetary decision.

A cast member has showed me how a quick scan of the magic band can show your affiliations, she showed me the screen displaying AP and DVC

Make no mistake, the proof requirement is simply to make it harder for you to get a discount and causing you to miss out.

They could simply scan a magic band, nfc phone tap or verify through the app and leave it up to you.

Yeah , the magic band could meet this need - It no longer does the welcome home but a CM also showed me that it did see me as a DVC member. If they were smart they would also keep records of what we use the discount for and how much we spend.

I could have a fake DVC wallet card app built in a day and I am sure they already exist. - the current method is less secure than the ID card.

I'm guessing that's where the QR code will come in, eventually.
The thing is on our side they only need to know who we are ( identity) - that should on their end link to our Disney Account and do all of the rest.

I would make having an MB or card payment be required for the discount.
Then automatically add the larger of your discounts that apply DVC / AP / D Visa
Just like they do with self-checkout in the Disney stores.

Then the staff could stop asking - and stop having to re-run bills. Time and money would be saved.

Plus then Disney would know they should have sent me an email when they released the DVC magic band + Since I bought 6 in the parks. - Instead of sending me emails about loungflys that I would never own.

Yeah , the magic band could meet this need - It no longer does the welcome home but a CM also showed me that it did see me as a DVC member. If they were smart they would also keep records of what we use the discount for and how much we spend.

I could have a fake DVC wallet card app built in a day and I am sure they already exist. - the current method is less secure than the ID card.

I was still getting Welcome Home when I was there in July using my Apple Watch. Granted it can be inconsistent but it was still happening!

Would this just be for store and restaurant discounts only? I can’t see how this would work to activate tickets and access the lounge because they actually verify your eligibility before giving access to both. That would be a waste of time in my opinion. Would that not be considered theft by deception?

I hate the digital card. What if your phone dies at dinner and you want to use your discount.

They have updated the temporary card on the website so that it matches the digital card. It still has the one month expiration on it, but it does show the DVC Y which leads me to believe that they did it for people who don't have smartphones/watches, don't want to use one, or so people can have a back up if need be.

They have updated the temporary card on the website so that it matches the digital card. It still has the one month expiration on it, but it does show the DVC Y which leads me to believe that they did it for people who don't have smartphones/watches, don't want to use one, or so people can have a back up if need be.
yeah but it's the same as having to show the digital card. If your phone is dead you can't get access to that one either. I guess one could print it out and fold it up and put in in your wallet .... like the actually physical card lol

I’m far from a tech guy, basically tech illiterate. I also have not read all the posts.. (could be my downfall here).
That said, it seems to me that faking some sort of tech “y” on a internet card is easier than than creating an entire plastic card.

Am I wrong?

yeah but it's the same as having to show the digital card. If your phone is dead you can't get access to that one either. I guess one could print it out and fold it up and put in in your wallet .... like the actually physical card lol

I think for those worried that the phone would run out on them, printing is at least an option now.

So, owners do have a choice now to choose which option can be used

We like the digital.

I’m far from a tech guy, basically tech illiterate. I also have not read all the posts.. (could be my downfall here).
That said, it seems to me that faking some sort of tech “y” on a internet card is easier than than creating an entire plastic card.

Am I wrong?

They can easily create plastic cards..I do think eventually things will be automatic but for now, the digital version is it.

And, I bet the majority of DVC owners will be using the digital version anyway that it just won’t be the need to duplicate cards like in the past for those trying to make money on selling them.

We are low tech and have difficulty using our phones. I have vision issues which adds to my frustration. We carry our old DVC cards and current AP cards. We do have MB+ for our November trip but really don't know why we bought them LOL.

We had issues at Le Cellier including our son and DIL who have I Phones and watches and we are all DVC/AP. The waitstaff has acknowledged issues at their location. What to do? I do want my discount on that $400+ ticket! We had enough proof so it wasn't an issue but I can imagine there are times when a legitimate discount is not given.

I would gladly pay for an ID card with my photo like a drivers license.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter