Counterfeit blue cards? Wow.

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
So I just heard from a cast member that the reason why dvc switched to the digital cards is because people were getting counterfeit blue cards from a third party vendor!! Now it all makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why they switched. The digital cards are a total PITA for me. People ruin everything. Reminds me of the 80s when people bought fake IDs.

Could have easily been prevented by using virtually ANY technology at all rather than simply "visual". KTTW cards work great for everything...why couldn't DVC have used that card technology? That way, a simple tap would give them everything they needed to know and instant verification.

Could have easily been prevented by using virtually ANY technology at all rather than simply "visual". KTTW cards work great for everything...why couldn't DVC have used that card technology? That way, a simple tap would give them everything they needed to know and instant verification.
I agree. I would have preferred that route. Now that I think about it, those blue cards were really basic and anyone could copy them. I am surprised I didn’t notice that before.

They have their own technology already strapped to your wrist.

They have their own technology already strapped to your wrist.
^^^This^^^

I have never understood why they need to see my AP card, for example, since they could just scan my MB and see that I have an active AP. And, sure, I guess I could give my MB to someone else, but I could give my card or my phone to someone else too.

Every once in a while someone also asks for my ID, which I understand, since if I gave my card/MB/whatever to someone else, they wouldn't be able to impersonate my ID photo.

DVC chose the route where they start with a 3 cent plastic blank, paid someone to custom imprint each one, paid someone to mail it, and ended up spending about $1, most of which is postage. Had they started with an NFC card and done the same thing, it would have cost 10 cents more. That 10 cents, multiplied by the number of DVC members, is literally almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. But, the extra 10 cents would have allowed them to scan the card just like a magic band or KTTW card, and verify that the card was valid.

We went through this at my home owner's association. The simple wrist bands, which cost us $0.50 each with the imprint were easily duplicated. Most of the fakes came from one company, whose shade of yellow was just a bit off, and who didn't offer exactly the right font. Virtually all of these were created by members' children who wanted to give bands to their friends. We confiscated a lot of fake bands and told people to leave. The next year, we bought NFC wrist bands, encoded them, put a very complex logo on the face, told our members how security can scan a band and tell whether it's real or not, and had no unwelcomed visitors. The NFC bands were $0.40 each, because we bought thousands of them.

DVC chose the route where they start with a 3 cent plastic blank, paid someone to custom imprint each one, paid someone to mail it, and ended up spending about $1, most of which is postage. Had they started with an NFC card and done the same thing, it would have cost 10 cents more. That 10 cents, multiplied by the number of DVC members, is literally almost nothing in the grand scheme of things. But, the extra 10 cents would have allowed them to scan the card just like a magic band or KTTW card, and verify that the card was valid.

We went through this at my home owner's association. The simple wrist bands, which cost us $0.50 each with the imprint were easily duplicated. Most of the fakes came from one company, whose shade of yellow was just a bit off, and who didn't offer exactly the right font. Virtually all of these were created by members' children who wanted to give bands to their friends. We confiscated a lot of fake bands and told people to leave. The next year, we bought NFC wrist bands, encoded them, put a very complex logo on the face, told our members how security can scan a band and tell whether it's real or not, and had no unwelcomed visitors. The NFC bands were $0.40 each, because we bought thousands of them.
Yep...and it's a one time cost. Once you're no longer a DVC member, DVC just electronically shuts it off.

They already use your Magicband to verify your hotel parking, your ticket status, your party status, your after hour status. I actually shows you are DVC also, but not white or blue card, because that's apparently too hard.

I get the ID thing for loaned out ones, but I don't understand why you MB doesn't already know all of this.

Cruise line does it. They're even more sophisticated because your tap also pulls up your photo on the computer screen so they can visually confirm your identity.

I get the ID thing for loaned out ones, but I don't understand why you MB doesn't already know all of this.
Your MB knows it, it's their register that isn't set up to read it. That's why tapping into the park gets you the "Welcome Home" message.

So I just heard from a cast member that the reason why dvc switched to the digital cards is because people were getting counterfeit blue cards from a third party vendor!! Now it all makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why they switched. The digital cards are a total PITA for me. People ruin everything. Reminds me of the 80s when people bought fake IDs.

Guess Disney’s never heard of screenshots.
Delete, I was wrong.

Last edited:
Sorry but this is all bullcrap. The cast member lied to you @we"reofftoneverland.

You were always always always supposed to present a photo ID when using any type of discount. DVC, AP, Cast Member, Cast Member Spouse, Tables in Wonderland, Disney VISA, it doesn't matter. EVERY discount is supposed to be verified by photo ID, including now using the digital ID. A screenshot or counterfeit blue card wouldn't achieve anything if the cast members were doing their jobs, because you'd also need a counterfeit driver's license. And at that point we're talking about a felony.
Huh? I’m having trouble following this? Why would they need a fake ID? It’s not like they were actually entering the member number and or other verification in the system??

Sorry but this is all bullcrap. The cast member lied to you @we"reofftoneverland.

You were always always always supposed to present a photo ID when using any type of discount. DVC, AP, Cast Member, Cast Member Spouse, Tables in Wonderland, Disney VISA, it doesn't matter. EVERY discount is supposed to be verified by photo ID, including now using the digital ID. A screenshot or counterfeit blue card wouldn't achieve anything if the cast members were doing their jobs, because you'd also need a counterfeit driver's license. And at that point we're talking about a felony.
These are actual fake card replicas. So a photo ID wouldn’t prove if the card was legit or not. It sounds like there was a specific third party vendor supplying fake cards. Now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense to me. I worked as a bartender in a much younger life and people I worked with were making counterfeit everything for sale. Many of them had never even filed tax returns (didn’t know that was possible) so I don’t think they were worried about the law. Lol

Huh? I’m having trouble following this? Why would they need a fake ID? It’s not like they were actually entering the member number and or other verification in the system??

These are actual fake card replicas. So a photo ID wouldn’t prove if the card was legit or not. It sounds like there was a specific third party vendor supplying fake cards. Now that I think of it, it makes perfect sense to me. I worked as a bartender in a much younger life and people I worked with were making counterfeit everything for sale.
Ah I guess I misunderstood the scam. You're saying the fakes were being manufactured from scratch rather than legitimate cards from real members being duplicated and distributed?

Not surprising that it may have happened. I love the digital card and being able to show my ID from my phone.

Its all in one place. I don’t wear my MB anymore because of my watch, and pay using one of those wrist gift cards or my phone.

I only keep it tucked in my bag for entry to the room in case my phone doesn’t work.

So, it’s really been a lot easier for me now. But, if what was required was pulling out my MB and my real ID, then that is what I’d do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter