Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of this morning, Canada has now passed The States in % of population with their first dose.

% of Canadians: 48.573%
% of Americans: 48.2%

Now, we are still lagging far behind on second doses, only 3.3% of our population is fully vaccinated compared to 38.1% of Americans.

But we're getting there finally!
My DH got a call yesterday offering to bump-up his 2nd dose appointment which was originally scheduled for June and will now take place next Tuesday. Here they have pushed all 2nd dose appointments to the far-edge of the 12 week maximum window due to the supply issues. Here's to hoping many, many more people will get their 2nd doses much quicker as well.

I'm very close to the US/Canada border. We miss our northern neighbors -- both coming here and us going up there. Hoping the border can open sooner rather than later. The numbers posted above sound promising!

Here in VT, 71% of the eligible population (age 12+) are vaccinated with at least 1 dose, which I believe translates to 66% of total population. 49% of total population are "fully vaccinated" with either 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna or 1 dose of J&J. The Governor just announced he will drop all restrictions/requirements if and when we reach 80% of eligible population with at least 1 dose. The target is July 4th but could potentially occur sooner.

My DH got a call yesterday offering to bump-up his 2nd dose appointment which was originally scheduled for June and will now take place next Tuesday. Here they have pushed all 2nd dose appointments to the far-edge of the 12 week maximum window due to the supply issues. Here's to hoping many, many more people will get their 2nd doses much quicker as well.
Is this the Astra Zeneca one? I saw a press thing this morning on this. People who got their shot March 10-19 can get their second shot of the same. We have some doses expiring here in Ontario on May 31st.

I am hoping to get a different shot when my turn comes up. Yesterday they said the second shot was 1/1,000,000 chance of a clot....today it is 1/600,000 . The numbers are changing like the first one. Yes it is low but can’t go though that worry again.

Is this the Astra Zeneca one? I saw a press thing this morning on this. People who got their shot March 10-19 can get their second shot of the same. We have some doses expiring here in Ontario on May 31st.

I am hoping to get a different shot when my turn comes up. Yesterday they said the second shot was 1/1,000,000 chance of a clot....today it is 1/600,000 . The numbers are changing like the first one. Yes it is low but can’t go though that worry again.
No, he got Pfizer based on his age and was in a group of much earlier elegibility. None of us who took AZ (which I did immediately when it opened up) have any idea when our 2nd doses will be available. Mine is due July 17 at the latest and I'm worried; there are currently only 7,800 doses in Alberta and no word on whether more will arrive. I want the AZ; not interested in the mix-and-match experiment. As far as the risk of serious side effects go, even at 1/250,000, which was the initial rate quoted, that number is so small as to be statistically insignificant and I couldn't worry about it if I tried.

No, he got Pfizer based on his age and was in a group of much earlier elegibility. None of us who took AZ (which I did immediately when it opened up) have any idea when our 2nd doses will be available. Mine is due July 17 at the latest and I'm worried; there are currently only 7,800 doses in Alberta and no word on whether more will arrive. I want the AZ; not interested in the mix-and-match experiment. As far as the risk of serious side effects go, even at 1/250,000, which was the initial rate quoted, that number is so small as to be statistically insignificant and I couldn't worry about it if I tried.

Ontario just started sending emails to those who got their AZ March 10 - 19 so they can book their second shot now. Hopefully Alberta will follow suit soon and we'll get through the rest.

I am frustrated for my son since Ontario is apparently going to make us wait until his 12th birthday (in December in his case) to get this, even though other provinces are doing it for any kid born in 2009. I'm writing, calling, etc. Hopefully they will smarten up. I want his done before school starts in September (as does he, he has high anxiety and is very worried).

Reactions: NAB
As our figures are doing so well we might open up indoor dining and museums earlier, 5 June instead of 9.
High schools are allowed to reopen in full as of 31 May and have to be reopened by 9 June.

I still think that I will believe it when I see it. Yesterday they closed down Oka beach for a few hours because hundreds were not socially distanced outside. The pictures were like people on top of each other, and then I thought to myself, they are outside 🤷‍♀️. I guess with this heat people are going in droves.

Are you watching the Hockey (off topic)? I was eating supper, and could not finish after watching Tavares getting hurt. Accidental, but still. ☹

Yes, I like I'm guessing many others, felt John's accidental hit. :(20210105_085513.jpg

Enjoy the playoffs..

Last edited:

Wonderful to hear!

I'm very close to the US/Canada border. We miss our northern neighbors -- both coming here and us going up there. Hoping the border can open sooner rather than later. The numbers posted above sound promising!

Here in VT, 71% of the eligible population (age 12+) are vaccinated with at least 1 dose, which I believe translates to 66% of total population. 49% of total population are "fully vaccinated" with either 2 doses of Pfizer or Moderna or 1 dose of J&J. The Governor just announced he will drop all restrictions/requirements if and when we reach 80% of eligible population with at least 1 dose. The target is July 4th but could potentially occur sooner.

Nosy here. Does that mean Rouses Point/Noyan? Derby Line/Stanstead? Or one of the smaller ones?

How I love your state! Wonderful on your numbers.

As our figures are doing so well we might open up indoor dining and museums earlier, 5 June instead of 9.
High schools are allowed to reopen in full as of 31 May and have to be reopened by 9 June.

How wonderful to hear.

Are they releasing stats on the clubs/concert experiments Karin?

---------------

I guess I have said wonderful too many times. Laughing. But such inspiring news all around.

@mommasita - I saw the hit but not a hockey girl, although I spent my childhood eating sponge toffee in hockey rinks. Love to see it live.

Knee deep in the NBA playoffs, which started today

Lisa - how could you!?! You must observe with me the appropriate national period of mourning. :sad: I’ll let you know when it’s over.
I love the first round. Just love it!!!!! No mourning here. I told you it was a rebuilding period! And we could get a high pick!

I got my first dose on Thursday and holy cow, it is kicking my butt. I expected it to, but it’s still really knocking me out.

Did everyone today see how our Premier blamed Biden for not sending us excess doses? Yeah, that’s the problem..not the fact that things aren’t locked down enough, and that it’s been left way too late. Our province is a disaster zone and it doesn’t help that a mega church has an in person grad ceremony yesterday, with no masking, no social distancing, breaking several mandates, and POSTING IT ONLINE!!!

Why the heck have I not seen my daughter since before Christmas if these *******s get to break mandates and do whatever the **** they want. Yes, I’m mad, I’m beyond mad.

Finally registered for the vaccine. The notification said to expect an appointment in the next 3 weeks, so now the wait begins. Interesting, all the media reports said my age group could choose a vaccine, but that wasn't one of the options during the registration process. I wonder have they changed things again or will I be offered a choice when I get the appointment. I had to put in my Irish Government ID number, my doctors name and surgery as well as my address , email and phone number. I first got an email verification link and then I got a code sent to my phone number.

I have seen some posts on social media of people not wanting to register due to the ransomware attack on the Irish health service, so it will be interesting to see if the uptake in my age group is lower than expected.

I got my first dose on Thursday and holy cow, it is kicking my butt. I expected it to, but it’s still really knocking me out.

Did everyone today see how our Premier blamed Biden for not sending us excess doses? Yeah, that’s the problem..not the fact that things aren’t locked down enough, and that it’s been left way too late. Our province is a disaster zone and it doesn’t help that a mega church has an in person grad ceremony yesterday, with no masking, no social distancing, breaking several mandates, and POSTING IT ONLINE!!!

Why the heck have I not seen my daughter since before Christmas if these *******s get to break mandates and do whatever the **** they want. Yes, I’m mad, I’m beyond mad.
Sorry it made you feel so lousy. Other than a sore arm for a day, I was ok. Rest up, and hydrate.

Which vaccine did you get? What are your authorities doing about the graduation? We’ve had several high profile incidents here where they have made a decisive show of shutting down events and arresting the organizers.

Which vaccine did you get? What are your authorities doing about the graduation? We’ve had several high profile incidents here where they have made a decisive show of shutting down events and arresting the organizers.

I got Pfizer. I would have taken az when I qualified about a month ago but my gp suggested I get one of the others, for health reasons.

What’s going to be done about the breaking of mandates? Same as always, absolutely nothing. Maybe a few fines, but that’s about it. He’s decided not to seek court orders for the bi weekly anti mask rally’s that are held in various locations. They’re even advertised before hand. I know it’s hard, because of free speech, but doesn’t that end when it starts to endanger other people.

I don’t know what the answer is, but someone needs to grow a set and get tough on rule breakers. My daughters work has a policy to let everyone in, even people breaking the mask mandate. We also have a one person per household allowed into a store at a time and she has to try and enforce it. She gets abused daily and the managers do nothing. I report them almost daily to our snitch line but so far nothing has been done. She doesn’t even get her first done for another two weeks.

sorry for the vent, but I’m so frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter