COVID super spreading family we know **Our friend has passed away**

It's not really superspreader per se. That term is typically used when it's one event (be it a day or over a specified time period like that 12 year old girl with her family at a house for a few weeks IIRC) that led to a large, especially in proportion to the people there, amount of cases and may include secondary cases.

What the OP is talking about is just exposure over time. I think we need to be careful what and how we describe things.

It's not clear the timeline but saying "the latest batch" I would assume that some of those people were positive at a different point in time at a different get together some other time during the pandemic.
Well, the OP has no idea who else the family members transmitted the virus to; he only talked about the family themselves. With an R-value of greater than 1 (which is practically everywhere right now) it is extremely likely they spawned cases in the community which then spawned other cases.

The bolded is what I'm speaking to. Psychologically it becomes a fallacy. Especially when you compare it to other people and say "well they got it because they weren't as cautious as us we haven't gotten it yet because we're more cautious than them". You see others get it and assume it's because they engaged in riskier behavior than you and you see your circle not get it and assume it's because you've engaged in less riskier behavior but these are not absolutes merely repeated observations where you expect the same continued response.

My experience is that of the opposite. I've known some very cautious people get it (more cautious than you describe) and very non-cautious (is that the way you'd say that IDK lol) people not get it. I could say then that the very non-cautious people are less likely to get it given their behavior (they haven't yet to their knowledge) and the non-cautious people are more likely to get it given their behavior but that's not how I view it.

Keep doing what you're doing for sure :)

I see your point. And while I do think behavior matters, and that masks/hand-washing are helpful....I know it's not even close to 100%. I saw a video on the Washington Post website that had high-grade military video (or however you say that).....showing the aerosol coming out of two people as they spoke to one another. It was chilling quite honestly. And I've thought about this a million times...while masks prevent the aerosol droplets from propelling forward...you can see that they still get out around those masks when they have the people in the video put them on. Especially surgical masks that have gaps. The video mentions that the worst place to stand in a "masked" environment is right behind someone with a loose fitted mask (which is to say....almost everyone).....because the aerosol comes out the sides of the mask and backwards.

So..yeah, I suppose some of not getting this does come down to luck. Still, I'll keep doing what I'm doing...and hope my luck holds out.

Well, the OP has no idea who else the family members transmitted the virus to; he only talked about the family themselves. With an R-value of greater than 1 (which is practically everywhere right now) it is extremely likely they spawned cases in the community which then spawned other cases.
Possible of course :) but that's not considered a super spreader (such that has been used throughout this pandemic) as an individual unless they are contact traced to this particular family from a point in time. From what is usually described as a super spreader event would have been Thanksgiving had 1 person who infected the whole family at that event. Or a super spreader (as a person) infected a large number of people like that lawyer (I think that's what he was) really early on in the northeast. Any one of us can be considered potential super spreaders but we are generally not considered one unless we've been traced to infect a large or disproportionate amount of people and this is considering the infectious time period of a positive patient.

Remember what I posted a while ago in the 'Covid and Us'-thread? The viral post of a NL mother whose 18-year old son thought there was no harm in having a small party with 7 other friends. 7 out of 8 boys got infected, influencing the lives of 400 people (rough estimate). Every person in this story influenced about 50 people who had to be tested and quarantined.

I see your point. And while I do think behavior matters, and that masks/hand-washing are helpful....I know it's not even close to 100%. I saw a video on the Washington Post website that had high-grade military video (or however you say that).....showing the aerosol coming out of two people as they spoke to one another. It was chilling quite honestly. And I've thought about this a million times...while masks prevent the aerosol droplets from propelling forward...you can see that they still get out around those masks when they have the people in the video put them on. Especially surgical masks that have gaps. The video mentions that the worst place to stand in a "masked" environment is right behind someone with a loose fitted mask (which is to say....almost everyone).....because the aerosol comes out the sides of the mask and backwards.

So..yeah, I suppose some of not getting this does come down to luck. Still, I'll keep doing what I'm doing...and hope my luck holds out.
For sure! I don't wish anyone to get positive :flower3: :flower3:

If anyone were actually serious about maintaining bubbles then you would stop ordering takeout, ordering 98% of what you order online, and learn how to fix things on your own.
Ordering takeout, and having packages delivered, is not proven to transmit covid (and I was one who wiped down everything we had delivered). We have had strangers in our home (washing machine, refrigerator and boiler broke, definitely things we couldn’t fix ourselves, washing machine and refrigerator needed to be replaced, the boiler took 2 plumbers 8 hours to fix). I haven’t been in a store since March.

Ordering takeout, and having packages delivered, is not proven to transmit covid (and I was one who wiped down everything we had delivered). We have had strangers in our home (washing machine, refrigerator and boiler broke, definitely things we couldn’t fix ourselves, washing machine and refrigerator needed to be replaced, the boiler took 2 plumbers 8 hours to fix). I haven’t been in a store since March.

Ordering takeout and having packages delivered requires people to break their own bubbles.

I’m not going to sit at my home, acting self-righteous like some on here and tell everyone to maintain a bubble when I realize the only way to maintain true bubbles is by having others break their own.

We aren’t having a birthday party for my kid. But we rented a bounce house in the backyard. Safe? Yeah, for us. For the two guys that clearly weren’t related who came and set it up...bubble broken.

Last edited:
Ordering takeout and having packages delivered requires people to break their own bubbles.
This is true... the point being very few of us are in actual bubbles.... since almost all of us interact with others in this way....(some more or less than others) I thought about this.... our local Starbucks which always has a LONG line at the drive thru (not me thanks) was just closed for a quarantine and clean bc of covid. Now I know they're not keeping track of all the hundreds of customers daily- so no mention seems to be made of all those peop for the two weeks previous to the closing.... I know (we all know) there's a BIG venn diagram happening here,and that's just one example.

This is true... the point being very few of us are in actual bubbles.... since almost all of us interact with others in this way....(some more or less than others) I thought about this.... our local Starbucks which always has a LONG line at the drive thru (not me thanks) was just closed for a quarantine and clean bc of covid. Now I know they're not keeping track of all the hundreds of customers daily- so no mention seems to be made of all those peop for the two weeks previous to the closing.... I know (we all know) there's a BIG venn diagram happening here,and that's just one example.

I don’t really think any customers need to worry about it and I really don’t think there is any reason to alarm them. Close contact is generally considered 15 minutes. I can guarantee each and every one of us has been around someone with COVID by now.

With a death rate of less than 1% I’m living my life, I’m getting together with friends, I’m having family celebrations.
I understand you're not worried about the <1% death rate, but aren't you concerned about needlessly exposing the younger generation of your family to this virus? This C19 is characterized as SARS-CoV-2, meaning it may follow the pattern of its famous predecessor SARS-CoV-1. Have you, or any family members and friends, bothered to read about the long term problems that SARS-Cov-1 had caused on its afflicted population?

Last edited:

Kudos! Just wanted to make sure (because you said I 'was' one..) you're still washing down items coming into your home.

We have very good, lifelong friends. In turn, all of their large extended family are friends. We are like family to and with them all. The older adults, like us in our 70's, and then the downstream kids and grandkids. They have continued to do family gatherings for birthdays and holidays during the pandemic.

So far, the COVID count in the family is......

Husband and wife (our friends, in their 70's)
His sister (80'ish)
Sister's 2 adult daughters (50's-60's)
Husband and wife's 2 daughter's (40-50) and 1 son (45)
The 2 daughters' kids and husbands (husbands-40-50 and then their 6 kids and 1 boyfriend)

I think that is 17 people in one extended family. Apparently, all have been cautious, following the rules, other than the family get togethers.

Be safe, stay within your own 'bubbles'.

All have done relatively well. The boyfriend (late 20's) was hospitalized, on oxygen, cardiac ward. He is home now, recuperating.

The latest batch probably came from Thanksgiving and recent birthday.

Entirely possible that one person got it from a masked visit to the supermarket or something (or ummm... that someone in that bubble has been fibbing about the extent of their social circle). Masks work but they're not a guarantee and I speak as someone who recently passed by a woman in my local supermarket who was using hers as a chin strap.

Face coverings and masks are not failsafe. Masks offer some protection to others from you, but only 'may' offer protection to you from others, so each time you're around people without masks or with face visors on instead (totally ineffective in protecting others), you have an increased risk of catching the virus.

I'm a community nurse and our Trust states (when in our base with just colleagues, not patients) we have to wear NHS-approved surgical masks, and not just face coverings, at all times, AND still maintain the 2 metre rule as much as possible. We're not allowed to eat/drink in the same room, and must go outside or in a room on our own. Their research found the most common transmission was staff to staff, and not patient to staff or staff to patient as during patient contact full PPE precautions were taken.

Last edited:
I understand you're not worried about the <1% death rate, but aren't you concerned about needlessly exposing the younger generation of your family to this virus? This C19 is characterized as SARS-CoV-2, meaning it may follow the pattern of its famous predecessor SARS-CoV-1. Have you, or any family members and friends, bothered to read about the long term problems that SARS-Cov-1 had caused on its afflicted population?
Has anyone here ever thought that if one is scared, one can go hide rather than make the other person go hide?

If one is hiding from the virus, then what's the worry? Why is one around people who may not be masked? Why is it always the other person's responsibility for one's safety?

You can't catch Covid from someone who isn't around you. The way to keep people from being around you is for you to hide, not force all those others to hide from you.

I think of superspreader as when a single person or single event directly infects many people. Superspreaders go off the chart infecting a disproportionately high amount of people than the average.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971211000245
AKA the 80/20 rule, from wiki: The Pareto principle states that for many outcomes roughly 80% of consequences come from 20% of the causes (the “vital few”).

This is a simplification and it's hard to pin an exact ratio on C19, but this imbalance is common in infectious disease and in many unrelated applications like sports and distribution of GDP.

Has anyone here ever thought that if one is scared, one can go hide rather than make the other person go hide?

If one is hiding from the virus, then what's the worry? Why is one around people who may not be masked? Why is it always the other person's responsibility for one's safety?

You can't catch Covid from someone who isn't around you. The way to keep people from being around you is for you to hide, not force all those others to hide from you.
Why are you quoting my post? I know well enough to stay far away from anti-maskers and covid gatherers. My post is about whether or not the adults in the family fully understand the effects of SARS-CoV-2 before needlessly exposing their children to it.
😷

If anyone were actually serious about maintaining bubbles then you would stop ordering takeout, ordering 98% of what you order online, and learn how to fix things on your own.

I'm with you on this one; unless we are going into Bubble Boy's bubble for months...........we all have a chance. Even me when I first didn't do ANYthing except go to my infusions on a weekly basis at our hospital.....bingo! Bubble broken!

I just feel bad how much this Virus has become such a finger pointing situation or how great I am because I do this or don't do that! (and Dan I don't mean you :goodvibes )

Why are you quoting my post? I know well enough to stay far away from anti-maskers and covid gatherers. My post is about whether or not the adults in the family fully understand the effects of SARS-CoV-2 before needlessly exposing their children to it.
😷
Because you were responding to someone who basically said they aren't scared and you replied basically trying to scare them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter