Covid travel UK-US ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably agree with you on that point, but this is about mandatory wearing of face coverings, not voluntary. He is not trying to ban masks completely.

Cutting funding to schools who go with medical advice with regard to face coverings is a very low thing to do. He is against all mandates/restrictions. He said they himself in the piece quoted above.

Sorry just because you say one thing does not mean what i say is false information. I disagree with you 100% but i won't say what you are saying is false information. Instead i'll post an actual quote from the man himself. Even the Florida State Board of Education has come out against him. He's playing up to his supporters to get ready for a White House bid.

If he cared about lives he would follow the informed advise of the medical experts. He cares about votes, not lives and that's one of the main reasons the numbers are so high in Florida compared to other areas.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/20/politics/ron-desantis-masks-florida-schools-covid-19/index.html
Quote from above

That logic appears to be influencing DeSantis as he spreads his message across the country, whether on cable or at events like one in Utah in late July, where he ridiculed the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention over their new mask guidance -- "Did you not get the CDC's memo?," he asked the mostly unmasked crowd to laughter. "I don't see you complying" -- and pledged to take a hardline against other measures.
"It is very important that we say, unequivocally, no to lockdowns, no to school closures, no to restrictions and no to mandates," DeSantis told the conservative gathering.
maybe you should read the article that you posted, becasue it says exactly what I just said. The Florida State Board of Education is not against him at all, and according to your article, started an investigation into MiamiDade and Hillsborough County School Districts for the mandates they made. Same with his rebuttal speech to the pres - that it is a parent's choice. I don't know if things are being lost in translation or something, but the point you originally made was that because you can't wear masks in schools, that it will make things worse, and I am just letting you know that you can wear them, and a number of school districts have broken this executive order and are mandating masks. Further, many / most kids were already wearing them in the larger Districts, like Orange, Seminole, Palm Beach, etc. And funding is not being cut, rather the salaries of the board members and/or the school board heads because they are state funded positions. I don't know where you are located, but here in Orlando, I can bring you the actual information that is happening, because it effects my life, my kids lives, and my wife who is a teacher.

My husband and I both had Pfizer, but will likely be entitled to have the booster jab in the next few months. No idea what flavour that will be - if its not Pfizer, but is AZ does that leave us not being able to enter the US?
As much as I want the borders to open there is so much red tape and cross country agreement that needs to be in place first. With the Afghanistan issues and rising cases both sides of the pond, I can't help but think that Boris and Joe have much much more to think about at the moment.

We are also booked to go on an Alaska cruise next summer. We have a teenage daughter who is currently unvaccinated as the UK is not routinely offering vaccines to over 12's at the moment.

Its all just a bit rubbish really.

Cutting funding to schools who go with medical advice with regard to face coverings is a very low thing to do. He is against all mandates/restrictions. He said they himself in the piece quoted above.

It may be a low thing to do (I think discussion of that is against the rules, so will not do so), but it is still very different from your claim that he is banning masks. He is not. He is banning mandates that force people to wear masks.

You/I/other posters, may think that banning mandates is a bad idea, but it is false to say that he is banning the wearing of masks.

Disney Cruise Line will accept AZ jabs as valid vaccination. I wonder how that will work.

I think the Telegraph are just scaremongering actually. The AZ jab hasn't been approved for use in the USA, probably because they haven't needed it, but I'm not aware they have any concerns about its effectiveness.

Disney Cruise Line will accept AZ jabs as valid vaccination. I wonder how that will work.

I think the Telegraph are just scaremongering actually. The AZ jab hasn't been approved for use in the USA, probably because they haven't needed it, but I'm not aware they have any concerns about its effectiveness.

Not really coming from the Tele though, it's coming from World Trade & Tourism Council (WTTC) - who admittedly have a dog in this hunt, but it's not really about whether it's effective, it's about whether it's recognised for entry into the country. Canada has used AZ though I believe so you'd think they'd work something out.

Here's the original source - https://wttc.org/News-Article/US-mu...accine-to-rescue-transatlantic-travel-with-UK

it's coming from World Trade & Tourism Council
Yes, they seem to be conflating (full) approval for administration into humans with approval for travel - which is basically effectiveness.
It's possible the US will use the former for the latter, but that would be so stupendously bonkers it would surprise even me :crazy2:

With the Afghanistan issues and rising cases both sides of the pond, I can't help but think that Boris and Joe have much much more to think about at the moment.
Yup. I think the only travel they will be discussing in the next week or so is from Afghanistan. Meh.
I guess I'll be paying my Disney balance next week and waiting a bit longer for an update.

I was thinking about taking a fortnight in the Bahamas as a stepping stone to WDW but it looks like things aren't that great there now, so probably not worth the risk. :worried:

Yup. I think the only travel they will be discussing in the next week or so is from Afghanistan. Meh.
I guess I'll be paying my Disney balance next week and waiting a bit longer for an update.

I was thinking about taking a fortnight in the Bahamas as a stepping stone to WDW but it looks like things aren't that great there now, so probably not worth the risk. :worried:

You never know @Plague we may see you there lol

It really comes down to risk tolerance.
Currently most governments and many people are scared s***less of the possibility of death from Covid and until that resolves to a lower value travel will be difficult.
Further to this there is a BBC News article today that is relevant, and also a bit worrying for opening up in the next few months.
Ignore the title - only a small bit at the top (down to the bar chart) is about washing immunity. Most of the rest is about current and future rates and 'living with it'.
It's nothing new really but does give quite a good summary and highlights that September is going to be interesting.
A few minutes read.
Coronavirus: Waning immunity and rising cases - time to worry?

maybe you should read the article that you posted, becasue it says exactly what I just said. The Florida State Board of Education is not against him at all, and according to your article, started an investigation into MiamiDade and Hillsborough County School Districts for the mandates they made. Same with his rebuttal speech to the pres - that it is a parent's choice. I don't know if things are being lost in translation or something, but the point you originally made was that because you can't wear masks in schools, that it will make things worse, and I am just letting you know that you can wear them, and a number of school districts have broken this executive order and are mandating masks. Further, many / most kids were already wearing them in the larger Districts, like Orange, Seminole, Palm Beach, etc. And funding is not being cut, rather the salaries of the board members and/or the school board heads because they are state funded positions. I don't know where you are located, but here in Orlando, I can bring you the actual information that is happening, because it effects my life, my kids lives, and my wife who is a teacher.

I think you're missing what i'm saying. I'm saying that the agenda by the Governor is not helping the case numbers at all and i actually commend those who are going up against him and this madness.

I do hope all there are well including your family !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter