Crocs RX Relief - anyone have them? (plantar fascilitis)

Dashzap

DIS Veteran
Crocs RX Relief - anyone have them?

I have heel pain (from plantar fascilitis and a heel spur). I have a pair of Crocs Scutes which are very comfortable (more comfortable than Ryka walking shoes with the orthopedists's heel cups!). Unfortunately the only other regular Crocs with the same cushioned heel as the Scutes is the flipflop (Athens, I think) which doesn't fit me correctly.

I discovered a link at crocs.com to crocsrx.com. I ordered a pair of the special crocs for people with plantar fascilitis called the Relief. http://www.crocsrx.com/patientLanding

I've read old posts here that say ordering from crocs.com is a nightmare. I hope that is no longer true!

I've also read complaints in older posts about the fit of Crocs and blisters. I notice that some Crocs models actually have one shoe to bridge two shoe sizes (the Beach for example). You may need to try different models on to find a proper fit.

Our local Sports Authority sells the Beach, the Athens, and the Scutes, even this time of year with snow on the ground. :goodvibes

I just returned from a 4 day trip to WDW and never took my sneakers out of the suitcase. I wore my Crocs relief shoes the entire time and was very comfortable. I haven't found socks that work well though. They keep twisting but I can manage. My size was out of stock at the Crocs site and I was getting a bit desperate since my trip was coming up. A customer service rep told me on the phone to click on the Crocs emblem in the upper left hand corner on the site and follow the links to find a podiatrist in my area who sold the relief version. How surprised was I to find one less than a mile from my home! There are two huge advantages to buying them this way. First, I was able to try them on and I found I had to get a bigger size than my beach ones and two....no shipping charges!!

I have the "professional" ones... I dont know if thats the same. They have a sturdier sole then the beach ones.

qsgrandy said:
I just returned from a 4 day trip to WDW and never took my sneakers out of the suitcase. I wore my Crocs relief shoes the entire time and was very comfortable. I haven't found socks that work well though. They keep twisting but I can manage. My size was out of stock at the Crocs site and I was getting a bit desperate since my trip was coming up. A customer service rep told me on the phone to click on the Crocs emblem in the upper left hand corner on the site and follow the links to find a podiatrist in my area who sold the relief version. How surprised was I to find one less than a mile from my home! There are two huge advantages to buying them this way. First, I was able to try them on and I found I had to get a bigger size than my beach ones and two....no shipping charges!!

The crocs customer service rep looked to see if there were any podiatrists in my area that sold them...but there were none within 20 miles.

I hope the ones I ordered fit! :confused3

Argghh! I called last week and the rep told me my shoes were in stock and would be shipped on Friday. Called to double check today (wanted them for Christmas) and was told my shoes were not shipped because they are out of stock and they have no idea when or if they will get more! Grrrrrr

Dashzap said:
Crocs RX Relief - anyone have them?

I have heel pain (from plantar fascilitis and a heel spur). I have a pair of Crocs Scutes which are very comfortable (more comfortable than Ryka walking shoes with the orthopedists's heel cups!). Unfortunately the only other regular Crocs with the same cushioned heel as the Scutes is the flipflop (Athens, I think) which doesn't fit me correctly.

I discovered a link at crocs.com to crocsrx.com. I ordered a pair of the special crocs for people with plantar fascilitis called the Relief. http://www.crocsrx.com/patientLanding

I've read old posts here that say ordering from crocs.com is a nightmare. I hope that is no longer true!

I've also read complaints in older posts about the fit of Crocs and blisters. I notice that some Crocs models actually have one shoe to bridge two shoe sizes (the Beach for example). You may need to try different models on to find a proper fit.

Our local Sports Authority sells the Beach, the Athens, and the Scutes, even this time of year with snow on the ground. :goodvibes

I have the same foot problem for the same reasons. I would like to know if the Relief works too.

Wow, I wish I would have found this post a couple of weeks sooner. I leave on Saturday and have had PF for over a year and a half. I have spent over $1,000 in medical bills and it won't go away. ( I even lost 48 lbs) Needless to say I have been worried about how I was going to be able to spend 12 hours a day at the theme parks. Contemplating a wheel chair, but feel almost guilty about that. I am going to see if a podiatrist in my area handles these.

debidoesdisney said:
Wow, I wish I would have found this post a couple of weeks sooner. I leave on Saturday and have had PF for over a year and a half. I have spent over $1,000 in medical bills and it won't go away. ( I even lost 48 lbs) Needless to say I have been worried about how I was going to be able to spend 12 hours a day at the theme parks. Contemplating a wheel chair, but feel almost guilty about that. I am going to see if a podiatrist in my area handles these.

I hope you have a good trip. Don't forget to stretch, ice, and wear your splint at night!

debidoesdisney said:

Has anything that was recommended helped you at all? I faithfully did all the exercises my therapists recommended, tried shoe inserts, ice, heat, then ice heat, ice heat rotating them. The only relief I got was from a massage therapist who was able to loosen up the arches for me. My heels still hurt constantly, but at least it is bearable and I can walk again. I lost 60 lbs and a year later then got PF....:confused3 go figure...... I would take a wheel chair over a ruined vacation, but I would feel guilty too. My kids beg me sometimes to do that at malls and stuff. My doctor told me to temporarily quit walking, but if I do I gain weight.

I love my Beaches and Caymans. I ordered Reliefs and I didn't like them. I got a size 7, the same size as my Caymans that fit well. The Reliefs did not fit. My toe hit the front of the shoe. I also didn't like the feel of the heavier heel. I returned them, though it irked me to pay shipping twice for those shoes. Crocs shipping was expensive.

I wore my Caymans for 7 days at WDW in Sept. and I didn't have a plantar fasciitis flare up during the whole trip. I'm going to stick with Caymans or Beaches.

I love my crocs!!!!! I have several pair including the disney crocs. My sister bought me a pair several years ago and I wouldn't wear them because they are so ugly. Well one day my feet hurt so bad I figured I would try them out. I fell in love with them. I do have horrible feet pain due to athritis in my ankles. YUCK! (It could be worse) Back to my story----I finally gave in and took them to WDW last year. The first day I wore tennis shoes and I was dying by the end of the day. I couldn't even walk to the pool with my husband. The next day I put on my crocs and didn't care what they looked like. I didn't have any problems. At the end of the trip I told my husband I had totally forgotten about feet pain. I do wear moleskins with what ever shoes I may be wearing but this year I am trying body glide to prevent blisters. Enjoy

Pixiedust34 said:
I love my Beaches and Caymans. I ordered Reliefs and I didn't like them. I got a size 7, the same size as my Caymans that fit well. The Reliefs did not fit. My toe hit the front of the shoe. I also didn't like the feel of the heavier heel. I returned them, though it irked me to pay shipping twice for those shoes. Crocs shipping was expensive.

I wore my Caymans for 7 days at WDW in Sept. and I didn't have a plantar fasciitis flare up during the whole trip. I'm going to stick with Caymans or Beaches.

I hope I like the Reliefs better than you did, if crocs ever ships them :rolleyes:

I tried my sons Beaches and they didn't have enough cushioning for me. My heel hurt. My crocs Scutes on the other hand, are super comfy. They would do for warmer climates but I was hoping the Reliefs would be good for cold weather...

I found this on a triathletes' forum. It is a post by a runner, not a doctor, but the advice matches what my orthopedist told me, with the exception of identifying which muscle is giving you problems. Anyway, I think it is good info and very interesting...

From a runners forum http://www.triathlete.com/msg.php?t=42616

"I've had plantar fasciitis since june 2005. Rule #1 - Treat it NOW before it gets worse. It is a slow-developing and a slow-healing problem. So do all you can to stop it before it gets outta control.

"I've gotten better orthotics with a higher arch that seemed to help. I NEVER walk barefoot, always supported, I even wear my orthotics in my Crocs.

"STRETCH! Not just holding it for 20 seconds, you need to LENGHTHEN your muscle... so I do 3xday of holding my calf for 2 minutes in a stretch with my knee straight. You need to figure out which muscle is too short - your soleus or your gastrocnemius. The soleus is stretched with your knee bent, and the gastroc with your knee straight. You can test it out by sitting with your legs straight out in front of you and having someone passively (you don't pull your toes back, they push) push your foot back first with your legs straight then knees bent. Whichever one where you have less range of motion (in your ankle) is the one you need to focus on stretching the most. My podiatrist told me that if all his patients were 100% compliant, then he never would see repeat patients for plantar fasciitis. Stretching IS KEY. Oh and I got a ProStretch calf stretching thing. It's got a round bottom and you can get more range of motion with it.

"ICE BUCKET! At least twice a day. Definitely after running. It really helped me manage my problem when I was doing a lot of volume. It kept it so I could keep training while managing the injury. Dump ice in a bucket, put your feet in for 20 minutes at a time. Yes, it hurts, suck it up.

"While running stay on grass/dirt.

"Wear a night splint. BY FAR this has been the best approach to relieving PF pain. I got one from my podiatrist that has velcro straps so I can increase or decrease the amount of flex. I wear it every night. Even if I don't wear it just one night, I wake up and have 15 minutes of heel pain in the AM.

"I haven't tried it but I've heard that the little massage foot rollers work wonders. You can get one from the Stick company. It's called a foot wheel. Let me know if it works.

"And I take Celebrex. Its an anti-inflammatory. Prescription but most doctors would help you out I'm sure."

bevtoy said:
Has anything that was recommended helped you at all? I faithfully did all the exercises my therapists recommended, tried shoe inserts, ice, heat, then ice heat, ice heat rotating them. The only relief I got was from a massage therapist who was able to loosen up the arches for me. My heels still hurt constantly, but at least it is bearable and I can walk again. I lost 60 lbs and a year later then got PF....:confused3 go figure...... I would take a wheel chair over a ruined vacation, but I would feel guilty too. My kids beg me sometimes to do that at malls and stuff. My doctor told me to temporarily quit walking, but if I do I gain weight.

I've never heard of using heat.

I've heard that wearing a night splint is very important to help plantar fascilitis heal. Do you use one? I have a lot less pain the next day when I use a night splint! (I think it is called a Dorsal splint)

I've read you have to treat it for a long time because it takes months and months for the tendons to heal.

Better the wheelchair than the ruined vacation.

debidoesdisney said:

I,too, felt guilty about getting a wheelchair,but I finally had to give in.

I tried walking for a couple of days. I was in so much pain. But then, my husband pushed me the rest of the time. :love2: It helped me enjoy it so much better. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather walk, but if it comes to enjoying being there or sitting more frequently because of pain, I'll take the chair. I still felt guilty, but that's just the way it works sometimes.

I never in a million years would have thought I could find out so much information (and empathy) about plantar faciitis on the DISNEY BOARDS!!! WOW. You guys are awesome. I have tried the ice, and along that roller line, I have frozen a water bottle and then rolled my foot on it. I have a generic orthotic from the podiatrist(the $267 one killed) and I bought a pair of p.w.minor shoes which have helped somewhat. I have just come off 3 weeks of "running" around at work on hard concrete floors. (I work in the catering business and of course this is the worst time of year to be on my feet.) I went through physical therapy all summer and that was basically a waste of time. They did some kind of electric current thingy. One podiatrist taped my foot for about 8 weeks and that helped a little. One podiatrist wrapped it. I am so glad to know that the night splint and that roller stretchy things work. I have been looking at them in a catalog and wondered about them. I do stretch every morning but will definately try it more often. THanks for the reassurance about the wheelchair. I have access to one and will definately take it along. I hope all of you find some relief soon.

Now about the crocs. I have a knock off kind and they actually flared my pf up? Is there a big difference between the "real" ones?

Dashzap - Thanks for all the info, but I couldn't get the link??? :confused3

debidoesdisney said:
I never in a million years would have thought I could find out so much information (and empathy) about plantar faciitis on the DISNEY BOARDS!!! WOW. You guys are awesome. I have tried the ice, and along that roller line, I have frozen a water bottle and then rolled my foot on it. I have a generic orthotic from the podiatrist(the $267 one killed) and I bought a pair of p.w.minor shoes which have helped somewhat. I have just come off 3 weeks of "running" around at work on hard concrete floors. (I work in the catering business and of course this is the worst time of year to be on my feet.) I went through physical therapy all summer and that was basically a waste of time. They did some kind of electric current thingy. One podiatrist taped my foot for about 8 weeks and that helped a little. One podiatrist wrapped it. I am so glad to know that the night splint and that roller stretchy things work. I have been looking at them in a catalog and wondered about them. I do stretch every morning but will definately try it more often. THanks for the reassurance about the wheelchair. I have access to one and will definately take it along. I hope all of you find some relief soon.

Now about the crocs. I have a knock off kind and they actually flared my pf up? Is there a big difference between the "real" ones?

Dashzap - Thanks for all the info, but I couldn't get the link??? :confused3

Woot for the DIS boards!

The splint my orthopedist is available on amazon.com. It's a dorsal splint. http://www.amazon.com/Dorsal-PF-Nig.../ref=sr_1_2/103-4773001-6937434?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

I think I fixed the link, but really I pasted all the information.

I think some of the regular crocs will make plantar fascilitis worse. I tried my son's Crocs Beaches and they are definitely not cushioned enough. I wear the Crocs Scutes which are much more cushioned.

When I finally get the Crocs Reliefs, I'll let you all know how they are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter