Crowd levels compared to WDW

SusanDK

DIS Veteran
We have gotten pretty fed up with the crowd levels at WDW and still have a set of Universal APs that we bought a while back during one of the offers (extra 3 months) that we've never activated. We are ready to drop Disney for a while and try Universal.

But just wondering, especially for those of you that do both, are the crowds at Universal equally insane? We aren't big thrill ride people and do have the premier passes with express lane after 4 pm, but we don't enjoy jam-packed walkways and the feeling of being ordered around like children everywhere (as has become common at WDW) in queues and at attractions / shows.

Any perspective you can share? It's been at least 10 years since we've been to Universal / IoA.

It really depends on the time of year and what is going on.
Christmas week is going to be busy for example - but probably not as busy as Disney.

I tend to go during HHN in September and October and during the week the parks are pretty quiet.
Sundays can be very busy as I think many locals go to Universal since its less expensive and needs less planning - you can just show up.

Three days weekends can also be very busy as well as holiday breaks.

All that said I don't feel it ever gets as crazy busy as Disney. You don't get that sea of people like you do in Fantasyland in MK. You don't get the crazy amounts of people and lines like you do at Epcot food and Wine other than maybe during HHN events.

This is part of why I think Universal has become so much more popular over the last few years.
Its not crazy busy like Disney can be, and the ticket prices are not as crazy when you go with an AP.
Single day park to park tickets are similar to Disney pricing.

One other thing that may or may not be of interest to you is the hotels are much better at Universal IMO - they are run as hotels by a hotel company. You also get some really good pricing with an AP.

I stopped doing Disney years ago for various reason and I went once after covid because I heard crowd levels were low - I cant say they were.
I.ve been hearing they are lower now as well, but then I see a stream and it looks just crazy.

If you are so inclined you can check out one of Rix Flix live streams from the parks on you tube - he does them a couple of times a week for about two hours - you can just find a previous one and FF through it and get a very good idea of what it is like on a Saturday night as well as middle of the week.

We just did a trip in October to both WDW and Universal. As with WDW, it's going to depend on when you're going. We were there during Columbus Day week, and it was VERY busy at Universal, all during the day. Bathrooms, lockers busy, long lines for butter beer and food, etc. Some areas didn't have waits, but the Wizarding World was quite busy. We've travelled at this time before, so it was expected. waited over 1 hour for Minions. Waited almost 2 hours for Velocicoaster, well, about 1 hour before they made announcements ride was down, and about 1 more hour until we got our Ruby pass for the trouble.....We also did have to hunt out lockers sometimes, like there were banks where none were available, but eventually we'd find one.

It wasn't crazy everywhere, or at all times of the day. Take your WDW strategies to Universal. Like lunch at off times. Rope Drop (we did NOT rope drop, or have express for the days we went, and sometimes standby was tedious. )We are usually big rope droppers, and can get a lot done first thing in the morning.

I think Universal/IoA, has lots more open areas, larger walkways, less chokepoints. etc. And it seems so much more laid back. Seussland, much more open.
If you have the after 4 express, even better! you'll be skipping lines then.

Hope you have a wonderful time, if you do decide to activate the APs. I'm looking at next year, trying to figure out when we can get one more trip in before our APs expire first of June.....might be spring break, mid March, another crazy busy time! but I was pleasantly surprised the dates weren't blocked out on the kids' passes.

Thank you both! Just to add a few extra clarifications ...

We are local and are a [fairly] young retired couple. No kids. So we can go weekdays and avoid holidays and weekends.

That's what we always have done with Disney, but for this past year, even that strategy doesn't avoid massive crowds. Not to go off topic, but all the nickel-and-diming by Disney is getting old so that we are made to feel like second class citizens for 'just' being AP holders and not buying the up-charge items (dining packages for concerts or Fantasmic, Genie+/LL).

One concern for us with Universal is that we aren't thrill riders and really miss some of the old attractions that they removed (e.g. Jaws, Terminator, Beetlejuice, Earthquake) so wonder if there will be enough for us.

I was considering not activating our APs until Epic Universe opens, thinking that our 2-park APs for Universal/IOA will give us lower crowds while everyone is checking out the new park. But we may not want to wait that long!

Thank you both! Just to add a few extra clarifications ...

We are local and are a [fairly] young retired couple. No kids. So we can go weekdays and avoid holidays and weekends.

That's what we always have done with Disney, but for this past year, even that strategy doesn't avoid massive crowds. Not to go off topic, but all the nickel-and-diming by Disney is getting old so that we are made to feel like second class citizens for 'just' being AP holders and not buying the up-charge items (dining packages for concerts or Fantasmic, Genie+/LL).

One concern for us with Universal is that we aren't thrill riders and really miss some of the old attractions that they removed (e.g. Jaws, Terminator, Beetlejuice, Earthquake) so wonder if there will be enough for us.

I was considering not activating our APs until Epic Universe opens, thinking that our 2-park APs for Universal/IOA will give us lower crowds while everyone is checking out the new park. But we may not want to wait that long!
So if you wait to activate you will most likely need to upgrade to a multi park ticket then - also when you upgrade you usually loose those 3 months. So not sure it will gain you much of anything. Also I think they will credit you what you paid towards a new ticket - not the current value at the time of the AP because the price most likely will go up before epic open.

IOA is a lot of thrill rides - but also has Spiderman and Dr Suess etc..
Studios still has a fair amount of screens and such - the Bourne show is very good.
I also just enjoy walking around the parks in a relatively safe environment and enjoy the weather;
I am not a fan of Harry Potter but I do appreciate all the detail and work they put into those areas - its very cool.

Yeah I feel like DisneyWorld does not really want locals - even back in the days of booking rides 60 days in advance - that really made it tough for locals to just go. Non-locals will spend more per person per day between food, hotels and souvenirs etc. and that is what Disney has said over and over again they want - more money per person.
Now between reservations, virtual que and G+ and all the related costs I think its ridiculous.
Maybe the upcoming changes will be good - but again probably not for locals.

I do worry that Universal will follow suite at some point - in the end its a business and for profit - but what has made them successful is not being Disney (and of course Harry Potter)

I was just at US Nov 4th to 8th. Flew in and stayed at Royal Pacific. Have been a seasonal passholder since 2017 and have gone approximately 2 to 3 times a year since then. Also have been on many Disney trips over the years from 2009 to 2021.

Universal is the now the busiest I've ever personally seen it. We waited in a really long line on the walking path from Royal just to get through security which I've never seen happen and Royal is where we've stayed on the majority of our trips. Then we got into Citywalk and were routed all the way back to the front of the Bob Marley place as the line to get into Islands. Overall, it wasn't as bad as when I was there last January during MLK weekend, but it was close. Even the week days were bad.

The South Americans are there year round now, there is no avoiding them. They are still pushy and cut lines and like to talk to each other during rides for some reason. I don't know if they don't understand English well enough to know what is going on for rides with story lines like Gringott's and the Hogwart's Express and Forbidden Journey but it is difficult to enjoy the rides with other people talking non-stop. Or maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine and I'm crazy, I don't know. I don't remember overhearing so many different languages at Disney as I do at Universal for some reason.

The majority of the time there are going to be crowded walkways in the wizarding areas. I can't remember the last time I saw them not wall to wall except super early morning and right before closing. There are going to be lines for food, mostly because Universal seems to be cutting staffing similar to disney. I waited in a long line for breakfast at Leaky Cauldron simply because there were only 3 cashiers to take orders. Tons of open tables but you couldn't sit until you ordered. Why they won't put breakfast on the mobile order in the app is a mystery to me, they only allow mobile orders of lunch and dinner for some reason. But 3 cashiers total who also have to make the beverages in addition to ringing up the orders just can't move people fast.

So I personally don't think Universal is any better than Disney anymore and have no plans to renew my current pass when it expires this coming January, just my opinion though. The only saving grace at Universal is their express pass. That is the one thing that is leaps and bounds better over Disney's ridiculous genie thing. That's the end of my rant lol.

Thank you, tony67. It never occurred to me that we may need to upgrade our tickets. Wouldn't they just honor the 2-park ticket, without Epic? Since they also have tickets with/without Volcano Bay, I assumed we would be able to retain tickets with only Universal/IoA. But it's good to keep in mind, and I'm guessing we will activate sometime within the next year, so prior to Epic opening.

I'm keen to see Bourne and I'm good with Spiderman (husband not so much). Agree about Harry Potter - not really fans but appreciate the details, and we haven't taken the train between the two parks which looks cool.

Just for reference this was line from royal to get to CityWalk. I apparently didn't take a pic of the islands entry line. The area circled in red is where security is.

20231105_081204.jpg

The South Americans are there year round now, there is no avoiding them. They are still pushy and cut lines and like to talk to each other during rides for some reason. I don't know if they don't understand English well enough to know what is going on for rides with story lines like Gringott's and the Hogwart's Express and Forbidden Journey but it is difficult to enjoy the rides with other people talking non-stop. Or maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine and I'm crazy, I don't know. I don't remember overhearing so many different languages at Disney as I do at Universal for some reason.
I did not really see this - there were a lot of Spanish speakers but I did not have any of the issues you mention - not like when yo have tour groups at Disney. I did 12 days at Universal and did not have any issues with cutting in lines or taking on rides etc...

What I did notice was a lot of German Speakers which I just found unusual - they were not an issue - there was just a lot of them and their level of English is usually very high

Just for reference this was line from royal to get to CityWalk. I apparently didn't take a pic of the islands entry line. The area circled in red is where security is.

View attachment 810148
Wow that is pretty crazy - never seen anything like that - this is walking from RP?

I usually took the boat or the bus to the hub - they hub was always very quick expect maybe on Sunday morning.
This was end of October when I was there

Universal is the now the busiest I've ever personally seen it.

... but it is difficult to enjoy the rides with other people talking non-stop. Or maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine and I'm crazy, I don't know.

The majority of the time there are going to be crowded walkways in the wizarding areas. I can't remember the last time I saw them not wall to wall except super early morning and right before closing.
Thank you - it's good to get this perspective. You are not crazy, lol. People talking non-stop when others are trying to enjoy a performance is a pet peeve of ours as well. Don't get me started about concerts / live music or going to the cinema.

We did actually go to CityWalk one evening last year to meet friends for dinner who were in town doing a Universal trip. It was wall-to-wall people everywhere. We arrived at 6 pm, so not yet super late in the evening when I imagine it gets even more crowded. We had a hard time finding any place to eat where we could actually find a table for our group (4 adults, 2 kids) and then the queue to get the food was crazy.

We used to enjoy CityWalk for the outdoor concerts (anyone remember Orange Avenue who played frequently?) and a place to stroll around after leaving one of the parks. But it was insane the last time we were there, nothing the least bit relaxing about it.

@tony67 that is interesting, I actually heard some German as well. I also wondered at it cause that is definitely the first time I've overheard German in the parks.

This last trip wasn't quite as bad as other times with the line cutting, but it definitely still happened to me several times. I'm glad to hear it wasn't happening to you. Last January was the worst for me, I had a guy physically push into my back with his chest so that I would turn and as I did he and his girl pushed past me and my kids to get in front of me in line in Forbidden Journey. It was insane. Had a group of teenage girls cut in front me of and another older lady in the bathroom line. When the other lady said something to them they laughed at her. Literally doubled over in laughter and found it funny that she was mad at them for cutting. I do not know the exact nationality of any of these people, only that they were speaking another language other than English. I speak German and French but never learned Spanish. These are just a few examples of what I've personally experienced, I could tell a lot more stories unfortunately.

Yes that was the que on the walkway from Royal. We got to where security is on the path from the hotel and they directed us up this other pathway that goes towards the street cause they were routing the line that way. So we had to walk up that path and then wait in line for security. I've never seen it like that before. After that day we took the boat each morning cause it had a very short security line. usually walking is faster than the boat but not in this case.

I agree that citywalk in the evenings is bad. I bought some things in the park and had them sent to the front. Well apparently they now use the Universal Store in Citywalk as the pickup point instead of the individual locations at the front of the two parks. The Universal store was so packed you couldn't hardly move. Took quite awhile to get my package picked up.

@tony67 that is interesting, I actually heard some German as well. I also wondered at it cause that is definitely the first time I've overheard German in the parks.

This last trip wasn't quite as bad as other times with the line cutting, but it definitely still happened to me several times. I'm glad to hear it wasn't happening to you. Last January was the worst for me, I had a guy physically push into my back with his chest so that I would turn and as I did he and his girl pushed past me and my kids to get in front of me in line in Forbidden Journey. It was insane. Had a group of teenage girls cut in front me of and another older lady in the bathroom line. When the other lady said something to them they laughed at her. Literally doubled over in laughter and found it funny that she was mad at them for cutting. I do not know the exact nationality of any of these people, only that they were speaking another language other than English. I speak German and French but never learned Spanish. These are just a few examples of what I've personally experienced, I could tell a lot more stories unfortunately.
Ahh - yeah I've not gone in January in a very long time - so that is their summer break so may be a factor.

Id be pretty annoyed if I had that experience no doubt.

I have an AP and I go often when I'm in Florida visiting family and I find that crowds are super dependent on when you go. I went on two weekend days in mid May (not Memorial day) and you 100% could've managed without Express. Nothing minus Hagrid's was over an hour wait. On weekdays it was even better. I saw Hagrid's go down to 50 minutes at one point in the day. I also went in June and July at various points and waits were slightly higher than May but it didn't seem unreasonable to me. I would say to avoid days when Orlando Informer meet ups are happening if you are not attending. I unknowingly went on a day when the June meet up was happening and the crowds were nuts in the evening hours before the parks closed.

I 100% agree with other posters about lines for food and line cutting. I find average waits for quick service are 30-35 minutes (even if you do a mobile order). I see people cut lines every time I go. I've accepted that it's going to happen no matter what. The team members don't stop it, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating.

Yeah I knew about their summer break in January but wanted to go with my kids while it was milder weather and they were on break for MLK weekend. Never again lol. I really thought beginning of November would be better crowd wise with the end of HHN but it wasn't and that was a very disappointing experience so my sister, who is the one I usually go with, and I have decided not to renew our passes. I am going one more time next month for the orlando informer meetup with my kids. Hopefully that will be enjoyable with no crowds. After that I think I'm done unfortunately which is a shame cause I do love roller coasters.

Next summer we're trying a cruise, if that goes badly I may be back lol

After that I think I'm done unfortunately which is a shame cause I do love roller coasters.
Go for a Busch Gardens / SeaWorld trip if you want roller coasters. If you hit "slow" Disney weeks they are actually legitimately slow weeks at SW / BG. And those roller coasters are top notch! Actually, I recommend getting a day at Discovery Cove with the 14 day package to SW / BG / Aquatica - it works out to quite cheap, nets you free parking, and you can come & go at the other 3 parks at your leisure.

All that said, I hit the last week of Oct (the week including Halloween) in 2021 & again this year, and I think it is the sweet spot. There are still crowds in Wizarding World during the day, but otherwise it was pretty reasonable. Although definitely busier this year than 2021.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter