Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m surprised the hotels and Disney springs aren’t closing. Just seems strange. I get they can’t kick everyone out overnight but figured they’d eventually close all the hotels
I think we could see this eventually but you can't just force everyone into travel plans. We could very well see them start to phase close them. Disney Springs gives people a place to get supplies/food outside their hotel.

You can’t tell me mass media hysteria isn’t a factor. The swine flu infected 60 million people in the US and killed over 12,000 and nothing shut down. No one cared. It was just another version of the flu that killed old people. Everyone dying is old or had health issues and compromised immune systems already and children are hardly affected at all by this virus. It’s 100% media based fear.
I’m sorry but it’s not and you’re wrong.

I meant as far as hotels, restaurants, stores, etc closing. But I guess they aren't shutting down the money makers. 🙄 Ridiculous. If the parks need to be closed, so do the hotels.
I think they will close but right now they can’t bc the rooms are occupied. Would guess that there will be an announcement about this but i have no clue how they’ll handle it.

(note: i know someone down there right now and boy it seemed eerie when photos started popping up on instagram a few days ago)

Taking things too far and being careful are two different things. This has another 6-10 weeks to peak out in the us. So we are going to bring the country to a standstill, cost people jobs, cost people homes, cost people savings, and completely tank the economy globally. It will force a horrible recession and at the end of the day. We will be asking for what? Was it worth it? I have a feeling most people will say no when this is all said and done.
If our measures work then many people might say that. But that’s only because our measures worked. Again what people do not realize is that, with no native immunity, if we just did business as usual EVERYONE would get this. And while it may only have a 2 percent mortality rate when our hospitals are working and the 20 percent who need hospitalization get what they need, if half of America gets this at the same time millions would die. It has to be slowed down, at nearly any cost. Yes we’re going into a recession. Yes a recession itself will be responsible for killing people because of network effects. But all of that is not as bad as this could be if we don’t slow it down.

We had to drop our reserve pallets of toilet paper today. The aisle was closed off while we did so and one person decided they were too good to wait for it to reopen- they started to crawl through from the next aisle to get to the pallets. People have gone nuts. Even in Italy the grocery stores remain open! No need to shop like all the stores all closing down.

People are worried about the supply chain of essential items.

I think they will close but right now they can’t bc the rooms are occupied. Would guess that there will be an announcement about this but i have no clue how they’ll handle it.

(note: i know someone down there right now and boy it seemed eerie when photos started popping up on instagram a few days ago)

I just came home yesterday and it was business as usual. Very sobering to return home and things escalate quickly.

I think we could see this eventually but you can't just force everyone into travel plans. We could very well see them start to phase close them. Disney Springs gives people a place to get supplies/food outside their hotel.
I agree. There’s a big difference between trying to empty 3 hotels at DL and trying to empty 20+ resorts at WDW. It’s going to take time. I expect them to announce resort closures over the next few days. And, a lot of current resort bookings will be canceled with the parks closed.

The day isn't over. I just got emails about a st. Patriick s event i was going to Saturday was cancelled along with the ECHL. I'm sill expecting a WDW announcement by EOD.
Okay, we were both right. You called the closing announcement by EOD. I predicted @wareagle57 would be able to go to WDW this weekend.

Hopefully the predictions of our own Italy-like health crisis won’t come to pass. Sometimes being right doesn’t feel very good.

Well, canceled Pop for 3/21-29 and rebooked for 5/16-24. We'll see how that goes. When I look at my plans, all of my ADRs say to call to cancel.

No, it's not. For many reasons, that have been covered time and again. Swine flu worked much like seasonal flu - the cases were spread out over a long period of time (those numbers were spread out over 2 years), that didn't overwhelm the health care systems. Covid is causing a huge spike in cases, which are swamping and overwhelming health care systems. It has already killed over 4,000 in 2.5 months. Give it 2 years like swine flu, and that works out to 38000+ deaths. Furthermore, it is more aggressive than swine flu. 15% need hospitalization, 5% of those need life support. Both of those require hospitalization measured in weeks. Swine flu, unlike Covid, DIDN'T target older people any more than others. Swine Flu responded to antivirals that were already available on the market, and the pneumonia that followed, responded to antibiotics - neither of which are the case for Covid. I could go on. But the level of ignorance surrounding Covid will only continue to add to the danger.

You realize in the US alone this flu season, roughly 3,000 deaths a month have occurred - with the CDC projection being approximately 30,000 this flu season alone. Just in the United States. The CDC estimates that annually, the flu kills between 290,000 - 650,000 globally. These figures are much more devastating than the panic driven numbers of COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter