Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If 100,000 people already have the virus, I would expect your hospitals in Ohio have already exploded. Unless of course most of the cases did not require any kind of hospitalization.
The theory is that they have it but aren’t exhibiting symptoms yet. I don’t know if I buy the 100k figure. But it’s a major warning sign considering I think I saw that they only have five confirmed cases.

I guess I see it differently because of what we go through for hurricanes. To me, it’s just a practicality to have food, water, gas and cash on hand if there is a possibility of any disruptions. So I don’t see it as something to panic about. But people in other areas might, because it’s out of their norm.

To be honest, I don’t know whether areas hit hard by the virus have had those kind of disruptions because the focus has been on the health impact rather than the economic impact. But, for example, I get my power from an electric cooperative. I don’t know how many employees they have, but let’s say they have 100 since it’s not huge. If 25 of them get sick, even mild cases, that’s a quarter of the workforce out for approx two weeks. On top of that, now the coworkers have to be quarantined for two weeks because they were exposed. Who does that leave to provide power? Not saying that will happen, but it’s not impossible either. Unlike hurricane season, they may not be able to rely on the assistance of other power companies who will be dealing with their own virus issues. Other businesses could have the same problem. It is better to be prepared ahead of time, in a reasonable manner (not 12 years of TP worth) than to need something and no longer be able to get it.
People tend to have trouble coming to terms with the fact what they think is everyday life and convenience is actually pretty fragile. My best friend at work came here as a war refugee from Bosnia in mid 90’s. She just shakes her head when talking about what Americans take for granted and the fact they don’t realize how quickly things can change. She and her husband always make sure they have a supply of emergency essentials.

I remember when I was a kid and how I thought many of things my grandparents did were weird and just a little paranoid. It wasn’t until I was a little older that I realized it was because they lived through the Great Depression and knew how badly things could change quickly.

Last edited:
I think the failure is that the US just wasn’t prepared now everyone is playing catch-up. If there was the ability to do testing on the scale the South Korea has done I think things would go much better. They are able to test on a large scale that allows for those who have the virus to know and be quarantined those who don’t can continue to work.

If 100,000 people in Ohio already have the virus.....there is no slowing the spread. That means millions of Americans are already exposed. And within the next 2-4 weeks, the hospitals will blow up.

If that is a true number, then the spread has already happened.
100,000 exposed his not the same as a 100,000 people have contracted the virus.

No, it's not. For many reasons, that have been covered time and again. Swine flu worked much like seasonal flu - the cases were spread out over a long period of time (those numbers were spread out over 2 years), that didn't overwhelm the health care systems. Covid is causing a huge spike in cases, which are swamping and overwhelming health care systems. It has already killed over 4,000 in 2.5 months. Give it 2 years like swine flu, and that works out to 38000+ deaths. Furthermore, it is more aggressive than swine flu. 15% need hospitalization, 5% of those need life support. Both of those require hospitalization measured in weeks. Swine flu, unlike Covid, DIDN'T target older people any more than others. Swine Flu responded to antivirals that were already available on the market, and the pneumonia that followed, responded to antibiotics - neither of which are the case for Covid. I could go on. But the level of ignorance surrounding Covid will only continue to add to the danger.

swine flu had a larger death rate worldwide swine flu killed 12,000 just in the US and was WORSE because it didn’t solely target the elderly; meaning children were at a much larger risk. Yet, no school closures and no one cared. You can try and spin it how you want but stats do not lie. The Coronavirus is not anymore dangerous than the Swine flu was and has the SAME fatality rate for the first 6 months of the disease and we now know this started back in 2019. No one gave two craps about the Swine flu. But please continue to panic and cause hysteria that’s going to be great for our young working class, part-time employees, and low income. The FIRST to be impacted by the huge decline in our economy.

We are supposed to fly down for the weekend tomorrow. I’m seeing Parks closed at COB Sunday and I’ve also seen closed Saturday. Can someone please confirm?

We are supposed to fly down for the weekend tomorrow. I’m seeing Parks closed at COB Sunday and I’ve also seen closed Saturday. Can someone please confirm?

News released minutes ago. Parks last day open is Saturday at WDW. Resorts and Disney Springs remain open.

Every single Disney park across the globe closed as of Saturday.

Actually WDW will remains open through the weekend:

“the Walt Disney World Resort has announced it will temporarily close to guests on Sunday, March 15, effective immediately.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter