Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see the source because there is nothing on their website that says this
Washington Post had an article a few days ago about when sports would restart. Consensus seemed to be who knows, but it might not be until 2021. I think everyone WANTS to restart now, but no idea when it will actually happen. We live in Virginia, and may hit the peak in a few weeks, but there will still be issues for a few months after that. And other states will have later peaks or more problems.

That article is over a week old. Since then, they had their meeting with Trump where officially nothing was said by NFL, med advisors refuse to say if it's possible, and again, the governor of CA outright said he does NOT feel it's possible at the very least in their state. And they still aren't officially projecting anything through NFL. So... I would take that with a grain of salt. Just because they hope it happens, doesn't mean it will.

Not to get to far into the weeds, but the models always from the beginning of the first publishing included the social distancing in place until the end of May. Even with 1.2 million deaths were projected. Not saying the stay at home was good and it had an effect.

You are confusing many different models that have been out there. Yes, with no social mitigation, you'd actually have a faster peak. You'd "get it over with."

With social distancing, you reduce the peak. But then if you don't keep social distancing in place, you start it all over.

Of the popular models you see out there, none of them reflect starting and then stopping social distancing. The models all either assume no mitigation, or mitigation. None of the big popular ones show the effect of stopping mitigation.

With no mitigation -- The numbers drop by May, because you have quickly built herd immunity. Of course, 1-2 million people are dead, but 200 million Americans have survived infection and are carrying around the antibodies.

With mitigation... far fewer death. But also far fewer people carrying around the antibodies. So say 50,000-100,000 deaths... 3-10 million people carrying around the antibodies. Still leaves 98% of Americans vulnerable to infection.... all ready to start the whole model all over again.

That article is over a week old. Since then, they had their meeting with Trump where officially nothing was said by NFL, med advisors refuse to say if it's possible, and again, the governor of CA outright said he does NOT feel it's possible at the very least in their state. And they still aren't officially projecting anything through NFL. So... I would take that with a grain of salt. And, just because they hope it happens, doesn't mean it will.

I never said it’ll happen but it’s what the NFL keeps stating. ESPN is on at my house all day long. I tell my son all the time to not get his hopes up.

its not going to look the same in every part of the country. Plus there is a big difference between something that attracts people from all over verses Mainly the local community. I was Referring to kids sports, local clubs, gyms, and such.

Correct. It won't be the same everywhere. But in a place with dense concentrations of people -- urban areas, THEME PARKS, we can expect the necessity of extensive mitigating measures.

So according to this article, https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...ct-major-us-sports-to-return-in-july-1998010/, the Vegas oddsmakers expect sports to start back up in July. I doubt they know anything more than anyone else, but this was interesting. As a baseball fan, I think a July 4 opening day for MLB would be all sorts of awesome.
The article discusses sports without fans from what I can tell. So I don’t see the similarity with Disney if fans aren’t going to be at the sporting events

This. Canada just said today that when Canada reopens, it will be in a very strategic, graduated way. And he said we are many more weeks away from that even remotely starting to happen.

It's not just going to be a "wave the magic wand" and poof, every thing is back to normal. It's going to take a long time to get everything opened up again. Yes, jobs will be lost. Many of them. I mean, when they say "global recession lasting years".... what do people think that means?!

As far as Disney etc... goes, I'm constantly amazed at the amount of people that don't understand that a) entertainment isn't an essential industry and b) as such, they (theme parks, concerts, sporting events etc...) will likely be the very last thing to reopen and c) it's going to take a long time to re-open them.

The viral experts would agree with you.. BUT...

Disney got Congress to re-write the whole copyright law just to protect their rights to Mickey Mouse.

Theme parks have an out-sized importance to the Florida economy... And Florida has an out-sized importance to the political landscape, as a must-win swing state for POTUS.

In other words, there will be IMMENSE political pressure to let them re-open, even if the experts aren't too keen on the idea.

So based on political pressures, I expect the theme parks to potentially open sooner than they really should. But if they are smart, there will at least be some rather tough mitigation measures in effect.

I feel like, despite what's going on, there is a lack of appreciation by some people as to just how bad this thing is. Especially if you're from an area that isn't getting hit hard, you might not fully appreciate just how bad it is.

I'm living at the epicenter of this thing. My county has a HIGHER concentration of cases than New York City. People I know have been hospitalized, have died. I've heard first hand stories from doctors... for example, letting a patient die with no effort to resuscitate because CPR increases the risk of the medical staff becoming infected.

New York was aggressive in shutting down.... but not aggressive enough. They didn't realize spread was happening until probably 2 weeks too late to prevent it from getting bad. So I have seen firsthand what would happen if a densely crowded place like Disney just went back to business as usual... By the time you realize the infection is spreading again, it's too late. You're back in pandemic mode.

NFL did not say that. The news article said that TRUMP said he hopes to have fans back in stand by then. Health officials refused to say if that was possible. And goveror of California outright said he highly doubts it. And NFL has said nothing.

Wrong. I dont think we can link it here. But the NFL as of right now is moving forward with the assumption they will be playing a full season.

The league mentioned they are getting advice from the chief medical officer and the chief medical officer of the players union. As of right now, they believe they will be able to play a full season as normal. Jeff Pash is an NFL Executive VP and he made the comments that the league is preparing to play a full season on time.

Of the popular models you see out there, none of them reflect starting and then stopping social distancing. The models all either assume no mitigation, or mitigation. None of the big popular ones show the effect of stopping mitigation.
Actually the University of Washington model assumes social distancing only through May. So they do project the effect of stopping mitigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter