Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEWS:

Universal just tweeted that Parks/Hotels/Citywalk will be closed until at least May 31.
That’s big news. I did suggest earlier on this thread that the Orlando theme parks might try to coordinate their opening dates. Just wonder if Universal is therefore also aiming for a 1st June opening. I still think that is too early though.

Bottom line....we need more testing. The fact that we STILL don’t have enough testing in this country is absurd. No one can know real numbers without prolific testing. There are places still rationing testing due to lack of tests

I live outside Buffalo NY. Our western NY area is doing hardly any testing at all. Pretty much only testing hospitalized patients & health care workers with symptoms. The lack of available testing is criminal. Downstate N.Y. has lots of testing. Athletes & celebrities in other states are getting tested with little to no symptoms. And sick people in western N.Y. can’t get a test no matter who they are. Family members of + people are just told they should just assume they are + too. Our county executive & dept of health director just keep blowing off questions about it. Disgusting.

Last edited:
If your Prime Minister doesn’t allow places like theme parks to reopen, it will be interesting to see if Canadians heed these warnings by not visiting WDW should they reopen first.

This Canadian will not be visiting WDW anytime soon. I work with a vulnerable segment of the population and would not risk being a carrier and infecting any of them. I can wait, it’s not like I’ve missed any opportunity to go over the past few decades.
I can wait until the first wave is safely past and the second expected wave in the fall as well, if that should become an issue of public health. I’m sure there will be those who will go, there will be those who assess the risk and act accordingly for them. No different then those from the States, Uk, South America...

Universal : we will be closed through April 19.

Disney : hold my beer. We’re closed indefinitely.

I wonder how Disney will respond to this. If they do at all.
Disney hasn't been accepting any new or rescheduled reservations until 6/1 anyway. That's why talk of them opening before 6/1 was... hopeful... if not delusional. I expect Disney will keep doing what they are doing. Planning for a way to open as soon as it is safe and monitoring when it will be safe with the rolling cancellations continuing. The "indefinitely" already covers 6/1 and the CP cancellations and union and non-union furloughs indicate at least a few months, which is 6/1 anyway.
Personally I'm sticking with what I've said several times... July 4th is the best case date. Labor Day is the cautious date, Fall is the catastrophe plan, and 2021 is the worst case.

Disney hasn't been accepting any new or rescheduled reservations until 6/1 anyway. That's why talk of them opening before 6/1 was... hopeful... if not delusional. I expect Disney will keep doing what they are doing. Planning for a way to open as soon as it is safe and monitoring when it will be safe with the rolling cancellations continuing. The "indefinitely" already covers 6/1 and the CP cancellations and union and non-union furloughs indicate at least a few months, which is 6/1 anyway.
Personally I'm sticking with what I've said several times... July 4th is the best case date. Labor Day is the cautious date, Fall is the catastrophe plan, and 2021 is the worst case.
This date structure is very similar to what some cultural institutions in my area (New England) are looking at. July 1 would be best case, Sept 1 next best and Jan 1 is (hopefully) worst case.

So do you think that Canadians will not visit WDW if they’re open, but Canadian parks are still closed? I’m just curious.
Selfish and selfless people are everywhere. Most would not. Some would. But I highly doubt the situation where our parks are closed and non-essential travel restrictions between Canada/US are lifted would occur.

As for reopening - I would predict mid to late June :)

Last edited:
I've heard it said my several experts that social distancing will need to be in place for many months - perhaps until a vaccine is fully available.

Its also been said often in the UK a quote from one of our health experts of something like if your life is unaffected then you are not reacting as you should - nothing should be normal.

On top of this, retail stores and work places open currently have to demonstrably show they have implemented social distancing processes/polices.

That said, I wonder if it will be impossible for disney to open in any kind of normal state this year. When they do open it may only be when they can demonstrate that social distancing is in place. So that may be no shows, no pools (in Florida ouch!), some kind of capacity controls on all shops and food outlets, space markers on floor for all queues.

From the Disney Careers Web page..
If you scroll down you will see All the World Showcase Countries are listed.
The jobs are to start August - November 2020

I've been wondering if maybe we reopen with only 2-3 parks. EPCOT is long on construction and short on international folks for World Showcase.

I could see them keeping it closed until a grand reopening for Food and Wine. Maybe unveil the entrance plaza / fountain or something small like that, too.

I live outside Buffalo NY. Our western NY area is doing hardly any testing at all. Pretty much only testing hospitalized patients & health care workers with symptoms. The lack of available testing is criminal. Downstate N.Y. has lots of testing. Athletes & celebrities in other states are getting tested with little to no symptoms. And sick people in western N.Y. can’t get a test ok matter who they are. Family members of + people are just told they should just assume they are + too. Our county executive & dept of health director just keep blowing off questions about it. Disgusting.

Similar situation in the Chicago metro area. Disgusting is an accurate discription here as well.

I've been wondering if maybe we reopen with only 2-3 parks. EPCOT is long on construction and short on international folks for World Showcase.

I could see them keeping it closed until a grand reopening for Food and Wine. Maybe unveil the entrance plaza / fountain or something small like that, too.

I think there a very real possibility EPCOT maty remain closed for a while after other paks open. I think It's going to be some time before internationaI travel is allowed into the U.S. plus, they could make huge progress on the (revised?) park entrance construction in a very short time...

Last edited:
Recently released data indicates that the virus is more contagious than previously thought. It was thought the reproductive number (R0) was 2.2 - 2.7 but new research indicates it's actually 5.7. That number is pretty close to the contagiousness level of smallpox, which is between 5 and 7.

Here's a link to the CDC report, which indicates that due to these new numbers, a population would have to have 82% immunity through vaccination or previous infection to achieve herd immunity, which I think unfortunately means it's going to be a while until Disney can open again:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

Economy is going to be the deciding factor for a time frame......not the virus.

I should hope not.

ETA: It has to be both. You cannot have a working economy with a bunch of dead and sick people. Just like you cannot have everyone stay home forever and have a working economy. Hence why TESTING is so important. Get more tests, figure out where you have a problem, and open the areas you do not have a problem. It is short sighted to open everything and hope for the best. You will end up back where you started.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter