Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any guesses if DLR and WDW will open at the same time? We're supposed to go to both this summer. DLR is the last week of July and can't really be moved. WDW was supposed to be May and I now have several backup ressies for WDW in June and July.

Nice optimism however misplaced. The company has contingencies and targets and sooner isnt one of them at this point. Itll be later. Windows on targets close off daily. We are in july at this point and quickly.moving towards august.
Well that’s a whole lot of IMHO speculation...

As far as Disney parks are concerned, they are accepting reservations starting June 1. That could change any day but as of today it has not.

Nice optimism however misplaced. The company has contingencies and targets and sooner isnt one of them at this point. Itll be later. Windows on targets close off daily. We are in july at this point and quickly.moving towards august.
Well if this is all so set in stone as you suggest and any trips scheduled prior to July are definitely not going to happen and we are quickly progressing into August, it would be nice if Disney would share this info with the consumers, stop allowing them to book trips during those time frames and stop holding the money hostage of those who have. I mean if it’s all so set in stone...

Any guesses if DLR and WDW will open at the same time? We're supposed to go to both this summer. DLR is the last week of July and can't really be moved. WDW was supposed to be May and I now have several backup ressies for WDW in June and July.
I think they will open together. They closed at the same time despite their states being at seemingly different stages of pandemic.

(You saw the news Disney changed Marvel Land from the July opening date to “coming soon” on the website?)

Well if this is all so set in stone as you suggest and any trips scheduled prior to July are definitely not going to happen and we are quickly progressing into August, it would be nice if Disney would share this info with the consumers, stop allowing them to book trips during those time frames and stop holding the money hostage of those who have. I mean if it’s all so set in stone...

That's just not how Disney works. They left people hanging until what 24 hours out for April 1st? Disney Land was accepting bookings and offering a sale on trips that weren't going to happen. Disney needs to hang onto every dollar for every day that they can right now. After all, as people love to say here, they are first and foremost a business with shareholders to answer to.

That's just not how Disney works. They left people hanging until what 24 hours out for April 1st? Disney Land was accepting bookings and offering a sale on trips that weren't going to happen. Disney needs to hang onto every dollar for every day that they can right now. After all, as people love to say here, they are first and foremost a business concerned with shareholders to answer to.
With all due respect, I understand how Disney works and I do know that they need money and will hold on to as much of it as they can, but I also really think they want to open as soon as it is safe and will be profitable to do so.

Edited to add:
I don’t have any insider connections etc. Just a guess like everyone else. I also don’t think Disney likes angering (and potentially alienating their customers) and refunding loads of money if they can help it.

What money are they keeping hostage? Anybody can have their full refund from Disney at any time right now. Just ask for it.

Now if your optimism is such that you believe a trip in May or June will happen, Disney isn't holding your money hostage... you are choosing to allow them to keep it.

I think they will open together. They closed at the same time despite their states being at seemingly different stages of pandemic.

(You saw the news Disney changed Marvel Land from the July opening date to “coming soon” on the website?)

Yeah, I saw that unfortunately :(

Your rationale does make sense to open at the same time. It's funny, I see the idea for WDW to only opening WDW to hotel guests and maybe AP holders, and I'm like yeah, good idea (because I'm both). But for DLR I'm really hoping they don't use the same approach because I'm neither!

What money are they keeping hostage? Anybody can have their full refund from Disney at any time right now. Just ask for it.

Now if your optimism is such that you believe a trip in May or June will happen, Disney isn't holding your money hostage... you are choosing to allow them to keep it.
IF they absolutely know without a shadow of a doubt that at this point they are not opening until July or August, then there is absolutely no reason for them to be keeping any bookings prior to that and doing so knowing that you will not deliver and, moreover, do not even intend to is disingenuous. And that I do have an issue with. Not that it matters, but I do not have a trip booked in May or June. I do have a trip booked in July. I don’t know if that trip will happen at all. I am in the same camp as everyone else and don’t know—no optimism here, but what I am saying is that if Disney knows it isn’t going to happen already without a shadow of a doubt then it’s wrong to keep stringing us along to keep our money. That is ALL I am saying. If you disagree with me then that’s fine.

Edited to add: I am NOT a Disney hater. I LOVE Disney. Which is why I am hopeful that they are “preparing” to be closed through August but don’t know they WILL be closed through through August as suggested.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that unfortunately :(

Your rationale does make sense to open at the same time. It's funny, I see the idea for WDW to only opening WDW to hotel guests and maybe AP holders, and I'm like yeah, good idea (because I'm both). But for DLR I'm really hoping they don't use the same approach because I'm neither!
Hahaha I totally get that limited/not limited feeling 😂

Praying my son gets to go on his trip June 28th. He was a senior in high school and has saved for years for this trip. He has already lost his basketball playoffs, banquet, prom, clap out, his graduation and all night grad party. Currently he is watching videos of WDW rides.

The economy is already destroyed. Layoffs. Business that will not reopen, etc etc. Damage is done already. Being closed another 2-3 months wont make it better or worse. But reopening too soon and causing closures to last 6 more months beyond the 2 or 3 would. DisCo realizes that.
I respectfully disagree. Without being political, the idea of the $2 trillion stimulus plan is that the government can afford to subsidize a good chunk of the population doing nothing because we NEED them to do nothing. While I'm not denying there is real damage (there definitely is), the hope is for it to be a "pause" button on the economy. The longer this goes, the less sustainable it is for the government to subsidize such a large portion of the population and the more businesses that will not be able to un-pause it.

I do agree that Disney being closed another 2-3 months probably won't be catastrophic, but it seems like a lot the proposed strategies for dealing with coronavirus don't allow for even that. There seems to be this general view that Disney will "need" to stay closed for much longer, which is where the risk that it does cause major damage comes in.

I have noticed that the posters who think things will open later present their opinions as facts. In truth I don't think anyone, even Disney, knows at this point when they're reopening. It's interesting to read everyone's opinions though!

Pessimism is more based in "realism" which makes it easier to mistake for objectivity and facts. It's also generally harder to "disprove". I'm generally fine with pessimism (I'm usually a pessimist), but being realistic does not make it any less an opinion. It's not just semantics to say there is a huge difference between "At the earliest Disney won't open until 2021" and "I just think the earliest Disney can open is 2021".

I respectfully disagree. Without being political, the idea of the $2 trillion stimulus plan is that the government can afford to subsidize a good chunk of the population doing nothing because we NEED them to do nothing. While I'm not denying there is real damage (there definitely is), the hope is for it to be a "pause" button on the economy. The longer this goes, the less sustainable it is for the government to subsidize such a large portion of the population and the more businesses that will not be able to un-pause it.

I do agree that Disney being closed another 2-3 months probably won't be catastrophic, but it seems like a lot the proposed strategies for dealing with coronavirus don't allow for even that. There seems to be this general view that Disney will "need" to stay closed for much longer, which is where the risk that it does cause major damage comes in.

Pessimism is more based in "realism" which makes it easier to mistake for objectivity and facts. It's also generally harder to "disprove". I'm generally fine with pessimism (I'm usually a pessimist), but being realistic does not make it any less an opinion. It's not just semantics to say there is a huge difference between "At the earliest Disney won't open until 2021" and "I just think the earliest Disney can open is 2021".

Totally agree to say the economy is already destroyed so Disney will take their time is a bit hyperbolic. If things don't open sooner the economy will get much much worse. Disney will survive but their customers won't.

Also if there was a magic wand and next week that everythig was totally safe and was no doubt the DIsney Parks could open in less than a month if not sooner, in some shape or form.

Disney promptly refunded my money for our April trip... and we rebooked for later this year, knowing that these are uncertain times and our future trip may not happen. Whether or not you want to book a trip is completely up to you.. no hostage taking necessary. But here's some pixie dust to cheer you up! :tink: ✨

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter