Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree at some point the in park things will be back. I could see them going to seasonal fireworks in the future like Universal does as a cost savings measure.

My dream is Epcot's World Showcase is actually finished with most of the original attractions planned
from the beginning. My one other thing is I look at Velocicoaster and can't stop thinking how better the Disney parks would be if they had their theming to go with that intensity.
Disney isn’t going to go to seasonal fireworks as a cost savings measure. WDW doesn’t have seasons at all. The parks are busy 7 days a week. Universal is dead during the week in the every season except summer. Its not a valid comparison.

You also say that Disney should add rides that don’t tie to IP and then you say that they should add a ride similar to an IP based coaster at Universal. That doesn’t add up.

This too shall pass.

I say that every morning before I start my day. 🙂
I hope so. I think the parks can be much better then they are. Its not just the cuts. Its been going on for years. I look at Epcot and what it could have been. Instead of investing in all the festivals, use that money and invest in new and IP free attractions for World Showcase to draw people there for a whole day instead of just the evening.

Disney isn’t going to go to seasonal fireworks as a cost savings measure. WDW doesn’t have seasons at all. The parks are busy 7 days a week. Universal is dead during the week in the every season except summer. Its not a valid comparison.

You also say that Disney should add rides that don’t tie to IP and then you say that they should add a ride similar to an IP based coaster at Universal. That doesn’t add up.

I was using as an example cause most people know of it. IP aside I was more talking about the coaster.

I hope so. I think the parks can be much better then they are. Its not just the cuts. Its been going on for years. I look at Epcot and what it could have been. Instead of investing in all the festivals, use that money and invest in new and IP free attractions for World Showcase to draw people there for a whole day instead of just the evening.

I was using as an example cause most people know of it. IP aside I was more talking about the coaster.
I don’t think you’re going to see many non-IP attractions in the future from Disney or for that matter from Universal. They just won’t draw people in to make a trip. Frozen is definitely a better draw than Maelstrom and I don’t think many people would schedule a Disney trip just to ride the Rhine River Cruise or Mt Fuji coaster. What was the last major non-IP ride built by either company? I think it was Expedition Everest in Animal Kingdom.

I don't mean to come across that way. I don't want Disney to fail, it just saddens me to see how much they have changed for the worse. I grew up going to the parks in the 80s and early 90s. I feel the parks were much better then they are now.
We just all see things differently. I grew up going to Disney in the 70’s/80’s and hated it.

I hated the ride lines. I hated the little attraction books. I wanted to ride Haunted Mansion/Space Mountain multiple times, but I couldn’t. I don’t even remember ever seeing any place to buy food. But my parents probably told me they didn’t sell food and that’s why they had to bring sandwiches. Lol.

I don't mean to come across that way. I don't want Disney to fail, it just saddens me to see how much they have changed for the worse. I grew up going to the parks in the 80s and early 90s. I feel the parks were much better then they are now.

I too grew up going to WDW in the 80s and 90s.

While things have changed, and there are some things I miss (a lot), there have been countless enhancements, ride additions, etc. that have changed WDW for the better (IMO.)

My kids look at WDW with the same wonder and awe as I did as a kid. Sure, they don’t have the colorful Imagination tunnel anymore from my childhood. But a CM at Epcot with an autograph book asked my daughter who dressed as Anna from Frozen for HER autograph. That was sure a memorable moment.

I loved Living Seas as a kid. I was obsessed with the hydrolators. My kids only know the Seas with Nemo & friends. They sing along to “Big Blue World“ at the end of the ride. Ride it multiple times a trip. And they’ll grow up, the ride will probably become something else and they will be yearning to ride the Seas with Nemo & friends one more time. That’s how childhood nostalgia works.

My dream is Epcot's World Showcase is actually finished with most of the original attractions planned
from the beginning. My one other thing is I look at Velocicoaster and can't stop thinking how better the Disney parks would be if they had their theming to go with that intensity.

Disney isn’t in the market of intense rides. They have the highest park attendance of any theme park industry in the world. I wouldn’t say no to more intense attractions, but if I need them, I can go to Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens or Six Flags Great America if I need those types of thrills. Not to mention, Disney doesn’t do coaster construction the way other parks do. Unless it’s an off the rack coaster like Goofys Skyschool, Barnstormer, Gadgets Go Coaster, Incredicoaster, most of their intense rides are hidden either beyond the guests view, or indoors completely. Disney would never build a full blown coaster with the entirety of the tracks and pylons exposed for bypassing guests to see.

Also, and Ive had this argument many times, but building non-IP rides isn’t as easy as it was back in the 50s-80s. That’s all you had. Even the IP based rides in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom were all Walt Disney IP (the films they were adapted from, at least). Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise etc wouldn’t have the same appeal if they were built in 2020. It’s like when people say they want more small budget films because reboots, sequels, etc arent good. But people still see the reboots and sequels and skip on the low budget Indy film. You build Horizons right next to Guardians and Horizons would get mostly the nostalgic guests and overflow from people that don’t want to wait 3 hours for Guardians.

I’m waiting on Oga’s & Topolino’s for my trip in a couple weeks. Never seen a spot for Oga’s, Topolino keeps opening when I’m asleep. But you were able to get stuff for freaking Xmas week so it gives me hope something will pop up!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Disney isn’t in the market of intense rides. They have the highest park attendance of any theme park industry in the world. I wouldn’t say no to more intense attractions, but if I need them, I can go to Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens or Six Flags Great America if I need those types of thrills. Not to mention, Disney doesn’t do coaster construction the way other parks do. Unless it’s an off the rack coaster like Goofys Skyschool, Barnstormer, Gadgets Go Coaster, Incredicoaster, most of their intense rides are hidden either beyond the guests view, or indoors completely. Disney would never build a full blown coaster with the entirety of the tracks and pylons exposed for bypassing guests to see.

Also, and Ive had this argument many times, but building non-IP rides isn’t as easy as it was back in the 50s-80s. That’s all you had. Even the IP based rides in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom were all Walt Disney IP (the films they were adapted from, at least). Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise etc wouldn’t have the same appeal if they were built in 2020. It’s like when people say they want more small budget films because reboots, sequels, etc arent good. But people still see the reboots and sequels and skip on the low budget Indy film. You build Horizons right next to Guardians and Horizons would get mostly the nostalgic guests and overflow from people that don’t want to wait 3 hours for Guardians.
I wish they did more attractions like Tower of Terror. That's intense enough for Disney fans.

To add on to your coaster thing, I will honestly say Disney doesn't do coasters well to begin with. I am intrigued with Tron and Guardians. Its too bad they may be delayed.

To bring this back on topic for Rteetz sake, IMO Disney should have used the money they are putting into Disney+ at this time and put it into finishing the attractions for the 50th. The Parks are where the money is. From what's been said Disney+, like Netflix was won't be profitable for a few years. Having Tron and Guardians open for the 50th makes much more sense then making low budget things for Disney+.

To bring this back on topic for Rteetz sake, IMO Disney should have used the money they are putting into Disney+ at this time and put it into finishing the attractions for the 50th. The Parks are where the money is. From what's been said Disney+, like Netflix was won't be profitable for a few years. Having Tron and Guardians open for the 50th makes much more sense then making low budget things for Disney+.
It’s not that simple. Disney+ is very important to the company especially given the current circumstance.

I believe it's a feature that Chapek wants on the Genie app which is coming "soon".

No way because then when the trend of people taking the over on construction timelines, he’d be forced to hire more labor to finish the projects quicker in order for money to keep flowing to the house. A parking garage built in less than 4 years? Could you imagine?

I wish they did more attractions like Tower of Terror. That's intense enough for Disney fans.

To add on to your coaster thing, I will honestly say Disney doesn't do coasters well to begin with. I am intrigued with Tron and Guardians. Its too bad they may be delayed.

To comment on your last bit, they're more likely to profit off of putting that $$ into Disney+ than pouring it into their parks. The parks for sure have the higher overall revenue but their income isn't nearly what their media entities bring to the table.

Direct to consumer has higher profit margin potential for them as a company vs increasing the thrill rides in their park.

I think they probably wish they invested more money into Disney+ sooner, if they had the foresight to see a pandemic and how people will glob onto anything (tiger king) when they’re advised to sit at home.

The major investment on Disney+ is somewhat temporary, 5-10 years I would guess.Once they start turning in a profit on their original investment on the service, them we’ll start seeing more money funneling in other directions throughout the company. It doesn’t mean other parts of the company, like the parks, will be neglected and see nothing new in that timeframe, but for the company to make the most money and be able to reinvest it back into other areas, again, like the parks, they need to make a full commitment to their streaming service for the time being.

As far as Tron and Guardians go, it’s we’ll see. Just because they’re currently rumored to not open in time for the 50th doesn’t mean they can’t hire the workers to plow through and make it happen. If they get a comfortable amount of cash flow in the next month or two, I’m sure those attractions opening by Oct. 1st will become a priority

That’s fine and many have the same opinion, but it’s 2020 and we are in a pandemic and we are praying to the theme park gods that Disney can come back from this.

I love the parks as they were in March of this year. I hope with all of my heart we can get back there. I see enough negativity on Facebook. I come here to get away from that.

It’s not really a question, it’s when.

There will be small casualties and forever tweaks (maybe Buffets will be different for instance), but the March 2020 Disney as we remember will return. With a vaccine, it will accelerate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter