Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is an interesting distinction. .. but I guess technically true as it seems like Disney .. by allowing guests into back entrances of DCA is just "extending" their downtown Disney District rather than "officially" letting people in their them park (via the front gate). Does DL have a a side entrance? I am guessing they could do the same for Main Street, USA.

I guess Knott's is "innovative" because they turned it into a paid "event" rather than just opening the gates of their theme park for open shopping/eating? *shrug* ..

I think the reason they’re doing the side entrance is to not give away the feeling of walking into a Disney theme park without actually going into the theme park to enjoy everything you’re used to being offered. Disneyland doesn’t have a side/back entrance that I know of, at least not for non-emergency reasons, so that will likely be an “issue” for when they eventually open Main St USA.

I think Knotts is only paid if you buy the food ticket, isn’t it? Thought it was free to walk around if you’re not eating.

My kids watch new stuff on Disney+ daily, it's the only "tv" they watch. Fridays right now have us watching the Animal Kingdom show, my youngest wants to be a vet and it's what she wants to do as soon as dinner is over. She also watches a show that I believe is called Strange but True, and many other shows on there about science and animals. My oldest loves watching all the movies and shorts, especially if it's Frozen/Olaf or Forky, and DH and I love watching all the old movies on a regular basis. I've watched a few mandelorian episodes but that's about it, so just because that's all you hear people talk about does not mean that's all people are watching, it's been a worthwhile investment in my house and for many people I know.
Same here. DS pretty much solely watches Disney plus. I don’t know anyone with kids or grandkids who doesn’t subscribe.

I did enjoy sticking my tongue out at them behind my mask.

For the record, I didn’t mean families with children or groups with any handicapped members, I’m not a monster lol. It’s those younger-middle aged groups that just dilly-dally their way through the parks. Which is fine, take in the experience of the parks, but just like try not to block walkways by creating a walking shoulder to shoulder barrier. That’s always been a huge pet peeve of mine, not just at theme parks

For the record, I didn’t mean families with children or groups with any handicapped members, I’m not a monster lol. It’s those younger-middle aged groups that just dilly-dally their way through the parks. Which is fine, take in the experience of the parks, but just like try not to block walkways by creating a walking shoulder to shoulder barrier. That’s always been a huge pet peeve of mine, not just at theme parks
got me thinking, I usually am oppo. I get these faster, runner types with children and their bumpered strollers that should get a 15 yard penalty for clipping as they take the first and second skin layers off the back of my ankle when they decide it is time to get me out of the way. pirate: Ref's never throw the flag though! It's clipping!

speaking for our family (and this may seem dramatic) - we are still going in a few weeks despite all the cuts.
We aren't stupid, we know that the experience is going to be watered down etc. but I fully don't care. We just don't care. We know there's a pandemic. We know there are dangers and issues etc. and we are prepared to be safe upon return, we'll be keeping our kid home for the recommended (not required) quarantine - even with all that - we don't care.

Without getting too detailed because it is still hard for me to talk about, two months ago my 5 year old son was the victim of a really bad dog bite/attack. We were EXTREMELY lucky, he is physically basically back to himself with some scarring but he is struggling emotionally.
We weren't really going to keep this trip, before the accident, we were talking about canceling and banking our DVC points to next year etc. for a big Vero Beach trip.
But in under 30 seconds I saw the most important person in our life, almost taken from us.

After he got to a physically healed place - we realized we need this trip. So I'm not here for the doom and gloom which is not to say I'm blind to the issues, to the cost cutting, to the experience cutting, to the price gauging.
From our perspective - if we can see him smile again, and go a day without asking us if he "looks like Frankenstein", I'll pay for that.

Also - I have him talking to a therapist, because it caused some anxiety issues that I want to get in front of and give him a way to handle things that seem out of his control - so I'm not looking at this trip as a band aid - but I know he has loved having something to look forward to and I believe it has helped him A LOT.

TL/DR - life is short and I am not putting something off if we can make it happen in the short term no matter what it looks like today at WDW.

I haven't watched The Mandalorian yet, but The Imagineering Story is pretty great. We're also looking forward to the (many) Marvel projects. They've apparently also announced a National Treasure series (I love "bad" adventure movies and NT is one of my favorites; also for the record, I don't think it's bad but I know a lot of ppl do). For being a young streaming service, they seem to have a decent amount of original content (lots in production or announced). They also obviously have a strong catalogue of "unoriginal" content (really it's almost all "original" though, they're the company that produced the shows in the first place).
Yep, we loved the Imagineering Story and watched it every week as a new episode aired, and I will watch it again probably in the next year. We still have a ton of stuff to watch with more being released regularly, I don't see us running out of stuff to watch.

speaking for our family (and this may seem dramatic) - we are still going in a few weeks despite all the cuts.
We aren't stupid, we know that the experience is going to be watered down etc. but I fully don't care. We just don't care. We know there's a pandemic. We know there are dangers and issues etc. and we are prepared to be safe upon return, we'll be keeping our kid home for the recommended (not required) quarantine - even with all that - we don't care.

Without getting too detailed because it is still hard for me to talk about, two months ago my 5 year old son was the victim of a really bad dog bite/attack. We were EXTREMELY lucky, he is physically basically back to himself with some scarring but he is struggling emotionally.
We weren't really going to keep this trip, before the accident, we were talking about canceling and banking our DVC points to next year etc. for a big Vero Beach trip.
But in under 30 seconds I saw the most important person in our life, almost taken from us.

After he got to a physically healed place - we realized we need this trip. So I'm not here for the doom and gloom which is not to say I'm blind to the issues, to the cost cutting, to the experience cutting, to the price gauging.
From our perspective - if we can see him smile again, and go a day without asking us if he "looks like Frankenstein", I'll pay for that.

Also - I have him talking to a therapist, because it caused some anxiety issues that I want to get in front of and give him a way to handle things that seem out of his control - so I'm not looking at this trip as a band aid - but I know he has loved having something to look forward to and I believe it has helped him A LOT.

TL/DR - life is short and I am not putting something off if we can make it happen in the short term no matter what it looks like today at WDW.

We are in a similar boat as you are. My 14 year old son has been through the ringer this year and our family NEEDS this trip. We all need something to look forward to and a change of scenery for a week. I know for sure that it is going to have a positive impact on him...on all of us. I'm a school principal, so taking off is tough for me. If we don't go Thanksgiving week as planned, it will be next summer. That's just too long right now.

I hope your son is doing better and that you all have an amazing trip!

And I for one can’t wait to once again be passive aggressively angry at the group of 5 people in front of me walking side by side up the main st sidewalk so slow I can physically feel time being wasted.
Or walking as a human wall towards me expecting me to pull to the side to let them by in an area where I can't pull to the decide, at which time we have to do the little "which way do I go" dance while one dude in the group exclaims that he can't believe the nerve of people not getting out of their way.

Hang in there, my oldest daughter had a dog attack when she was 4 yr, ripped her entire cheek. Great doctor, sewed her really good. Children are resilent. She is now over 40 and has 3 dogs or her own. The biggest hurdle was when she was a teenager and extremely conscience of the scar on her cheek. We were told we could of had a plastic surgeon fix, but that is elective surgery and we just did not have the $. I was talking with her husband a couple of years ago and he told me never noticed she had a scar, they have been married 16 years. So, just be there for him and he will be fine, heck as a boy he may think when he is older that the scars make him look tougher (LOL).

I get it's very important to the company. In the long run IMO the parks are where the money is. Disney+ is nice and all but with so many streaming services out there its really hard to stand out. Add in that many people will subscribe just to see what they want then cancel. People do it already with other streaming services.

Disney+ is targeted to reach annual revenue of $30B surpassing parks and ent. in 3 to 4 years.

Or walking as a human wall towards me expecting me to pull to the side to let them by in an area where I can't pull to the decide, at which time we have to do the little "which way do I go" dance while one dude in the group exclaims that he can't believe the nerve of people not getting out of their way.

Although I don't condone this behavior, I have the frame of a linebacker in skeletal only aspects now. So, I forge ahead and usually "the seas" part. In rare cases, there is a bump of which I apologize.

I'm am SO glad to hear your little one is doing better! That is terrifying. On a personal level, think about therapy for yourself, too. Seeing a child go through trauma is horribly damaging. I agree on going--you just don't know what life will hand you. Three years ago my husband (42 then) was diagnosed with cancer. He's doing well now. The three of us--him, me, our now-13-year-old--consider Disney to be our happy place and our safe place, no matter what. As long as FL doesn't end up on a quarantine list for Cook County, IL, we're going in 41 days.

Disney+ is targeted to reach annual revenue of $30B surpassing parks and ent. in 3 to 4 years.
I can believe that. Disney + appeals to some who may want to just see what it’s about. But their real target consumer are the people who are just plain Disney fans, like many on this board. You’ll never run out of things to watch. The older stuff is great but there’s new shows being made all the time. Disney has already surpassed their goal of new subscribers and it will continue to grow. It’s totally unlike other services. There’s not a Netflix theme park. Consumers can tie in their trips and love of Disney with Disney +.

My kids watch new stuff on Disney+ daily, it's the only "tv" they watch. Fridays right now have us watching the Animal Kingdom show, my youngest wants to be a vet and it's what she wants to do as soon as dinner is over. She also watches a show that I believe is called Strange but True, and many other shows on there about science and animals. My oldest loves watching all the movies and shorts, especially if it's Frozen/Olaf or Forky, and DH and I love watching all the old movies on a regular basis. I've watched a few mandelorian episodes but that's about it, so just because that's all you hear people talk about does not mean that's all people are watching, it's been a worthwhile investment in my house and for many people I know.

I suspect you have already watched them but just in case you haven't, I highly recommend the Secrets of the Zoo series that are also on Disney+

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter