Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the below - seems as if they won't be taking new reservations for quite some time. They are switching to an entirely new booking system. I wonder how many months ahead they plan to have everyone with existing tickets and rooms switch to new reservation system and book reservations for park entry in advance. That can go through December??? It could be a long while before people can book new trips...makes me happy I booked already for next May or scared I already booked and it will just disappear....

"Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited as we welcome guests back to the magic, we will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that will require all guests to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. At this time, we are temporarily pausing new ticket sales and Disney Resort hotel reservations so we can focus on guests with existing tickets and reservations (Disney Vacation Club members can still make new reservations). Existing ticket holders and Annual Passholders will be able to make reservation requests in phases before new tickets are sold; we’ll be reaching out to these guests soon to provide additional details. We will resume new ticket sales and hotel reservations after that period of time. Theme park reservations will be limited due to attendance limitations and will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon."

Email from DVC
Dear Disney Vacation Club Member,
A little more than two months ago, I shared with you the details of our company’s plans to temporarily close our parks and resorts, pause cruises and make other changes because of COVID-19. While this time apart has been challenging for all of us, physical-distancing efforts around the globe have helped slow the spread of the virus and have allowed Disney to plan for a gradual reopening.
We began earlier this month with the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland and Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort. Today, Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced additional plans including the expected reopening of Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort on June 15 and all Disney Vacation Club properties at the Walt Disney World Resort on June 22.
This is fantastic news and yet another positive step forward – for our Members, guests and our Disney teams.
As we prepare to welcome you home, we have assessed every aspect of the resort experience – from pre-arrival to housekeeping to recreation – with your safety and that of our Cast Members as our top priority. A summary of what you can expect during your next visit is posted on the Disney Parks Blog. Some of the operational adjustments include:

• Enhanced cleaning of all rooms prior to arrival, including additional measures for dishware and appliances for Disney Vacation Club units, along with the standard Disney Vacation Club housekeeping services during your stay

• Increased cleaning and sanitization in high-traffic areas

• New hand-sanitizing stations in key areas

• Physical distancing at restaurants, lobbies, pools, fitness centers and other public areas, including reducing capacity where appropriate

Our Members and guests will also play an important role in helping prevent the spread of illness. Like our Cast, all Members and guests will be asked to wear face coverings in public resort areas when not eating or drinking and to respect physical distancing. Members and guests are also strongly encouraged to check in remotely through the My Disney Experience app, frequently wash their hands and use cashless payment options. More details about these operational adjustments, including offerings that may remain temporarily suspended at individual resorts, are available online at disneyworld.com. While these adjustments may make the places you call “home” feel a little different for the time being, we will continue to make adjustments as the situation evolves.
As you may be aware, it was also announced today that Walt Disney World Resort submitted a proposal to government officials in Florida describing our approach for a phased reopening of Walt Disney World Resort theme parks planned to begin on July 11. Reopening dates for The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa as well as Aulani, Disney Vacation Club Villas, Ko Olina Hawai’i have not been determined, and we will share updates about those resorts just as soon as we’re able. Members wishing to alter their existing resort reservations may do so online at disneyvacationclub.com or contact Member Services for assistance.
Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com.
All of us at Disney Vacation Club thank you, not only for your patience and understanding but for the many well wishes we’ve received during our closure. The reopening of these resorts is an encouraging step forward, and our Cast couldn’t be happier to welcome you home. To borrow words from a familiar tune, there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow, and tomorrow is just a dream away!

See you real soon,
Signature
Terri A. Schultz
Senior Vice President
Disney Vacation Club, Guided Adventures & Expeditions and Golden Oak

“guests will be asked to wear facemasks in resort areas except for eating and drinking,” so I have to wear one in the pool? Ridiculous.

“guests will be asked to wear facemasks in resort areas except for eating and drinking,” so I have to wear one in the pool? Ridiculous.

While you may have to wear them in the pool areas if you can't social distance, they won't have you wear one actually in the pool. Masks are ineffective when wet and the virus supposedly isn't transmittable through chlorinated water. (I only say supposedly because I haven't personally looked into and don't have anything official to reference here, though someone else might.)

I know everyone is focused on the announcement of WDW for July, but I just came across this clip on Twitter.
The parade in Shanghai is back already, after 3 weeks. No social Distancing anymore...

Oh, and in Tokyo Ikspiari (their Downtown Disney) is reopening from June 1st.
Their numbers are a lot better than ours here in the states. Keeping fingers crossed ours keep declining so we get to the same place with relaxed social distancing, too😊

I just came to say that I got an email from DVC (it was just posted above) and the pools, fitness centers and recreation were named as being available albeit in a potentially limited capacity.

Specifically:

· Enhanced cleaning of all rooms prior to arrival, including additional measures for dishware and appliances for Disney Vacation Club units, along with the standard Disney Vacation Club housekeeping services during your stay
· Increased cleaning and sanitization in high-traffic areas
· New hand-sanitizing stations in key areas
· Physical distancing at restaurants, lobbies, pools, fitness centers and other public areas, including reducing capacity where appropriate

So: this addresses a few things I was worried about:
1. they arent taking out the coffee maker or other items from the DVC villas at least (pots pans etc) - just cleaning them or whatever "additional measures" mean
2. pools will be opening

I would imagine this will translate to other resorts - it doesnt make sense to have two sets of rules.

yes that is ridiculous which is why i don't think that it will be required.

I think the CDC guidelines ask that people just pop it back on if they need to run to the restroom or go to a food service area outside of their pool area. I haven't read one article, item, bulletin, or guideline that suggests you have to wear a mask inside a body of water.

Any trip in 2020 should be prepared to deal with the new policies and procedures (masks, 6ft distancing, limited capacities). Best case by the time you go restrictions will be decreased; worst case you've already prepared and expected to deal with.

Of course disney knows which hotels will be closed. They are not saying because they don't want to offer refunds yet. They easily could automatically submit refunds if they wanted. They are keeping your cash to save themselves money. Really getting uncool of them

I don't know how anyone could consider going in July , full price for a quarter of the experience (at most). You should really think about the logistical challenges on everything in Disney wearing a mask and public transportation in super hot summer and humidity , go when it's more normal and can actually enjoy it and have fun. It's not gonna be the same, or even close. If your a local then sure go have a blast but don't pull full price in hotels for this if you have to travel.

The stock is up only because chapeck keeps promising they will make money on day one of park operations. Huge gamble for him if that doesn't happen but the market wants to hear that. They are just kicking the ball down the road saying everything the investors want to hear, he has ALOT to deliver on. I don't think they can deliver and they are burning cash much faster then they will admit (to temporarily save stock price) Q2 earnings call is when the picture they have been painting could be exposed for not reality. Even Q3 chapeck has promised profits gonna be hard to deliver on that with more staff needed per guest and alot of extra expenses.

Won’t work with me anymore. I just cancelled around 7k in room reservations and a couple thousand in misc. since it was DVC, we could’ve gone but I am convinced they’ve known they wouldn’t be open in May or June for a very long time. They most likely didn’t plan on July, but Universal decided to not play the game and Disney was forced to technically open, although so limited it’s ridiculous. My money goes where my mouth is. I’m incredibly disappointed and sad that Disney proved me wrong. The August rumor was true. I know my choice won’t make a difference, but I didn’t do it thinking it would.

Last edited:
So sad I just cancelled my 6/21 at POP. I wonder if I didn't cancel it if i could have modified it to a room only reservation at one of the open resorts on 6/22. Oh well, hoping they open 2021 bookings next month.

Won’t work with me anymore. I just cancelled around 7k in room reservations and a couple thousand in misc. I am convinced they’ve known they wouldn’t be open in May or June for a very long time. They most likely didn’t plan on July, but Universal decided to not play the game and Disney was forced to technically open, although so limited it’s ridiculous. My money goes where my mouth is. I’m incredibly disappointed that Disney proved me wrong. The August rumor was true.
What exactly are you disappointed about? That they're not opening until July, or that there will be restrictions?

I also think people need to prepare themselves and realize that low capacity will not equal short wait times. I know I was thinking yay everyday is gonna be like after hours, but in reality, it’s going to be long waits to get on things because of distancing measures.

Normally, I'm in the loop, but I had to leave for a few hours today right before WDW presented, and I'm overwhelmed with trying to catch up. If someone would be kind enough to try and answer these questions, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1. I think I read that they're only dealing right now with people with current reservations. So, if I have a DVC check-in for June 27th (yes, I understand they'll open June 22nd), can my DVC owner call to try and change that to mid-July at this time?

2. If I have dated tickets (June 27th - July 7th), and my DVC owner can switch my dates, will I be able to switch those ticket dates?

3. Since they're moving to a new reservation system, does that mean only one park per day? I currently have 10-day park hoppers, so are they a waste of money if I use them on this trip?

4. Will Disney's Magical Express be operating?

5. Did they mention if the pools would be opened?

I'm sure we don't have answers to all of these, but any comments/feedback on any of the above would be really helpful. TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter