Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was just the US doing this I'd agree but this is happening all over the world. Some countries have gone to a lot stricter measures then we have.

The questiont then becomes is the whole world wrong?
Taking things too far and being careful are two different things. This has another 6-10 weeks to peak out in the us. So we are going to bring the country to a standstill, cost people jobs, cost people homes, cost people savings, and completely tank the economy globally. It will force a horrible recession and at the end of the day. We will be asking for what? Was it worth it? I have a feeling most people will say no when this is all said and done.

I was open to social distancing, cancelling large gatherings, etc. - to curb the spread. I get it. But now someone on another thread is saying that the governor of California is going to tell the people to get full tanks of gas and have cash on hand. People are going to panic, make a run on banks and make things worse. Why? Why would you even suggest that? No country has had computer systems breakdown....I don't understand.

What the heck is going on? Has everyone lost their mind? The reaction at this point is what is actually, really scaring me.

We are going out to dinner tonight. We are healthy, we will wash our hands and stay away from my elderly parents for a while. We will support our local economy as much as we can right now.

My take on it is they want you to be prepared in case so many people get sick that certain businesses can’t operate. For example, what if there isn’t anyone available to monitor power plants, or deliver gasoline to stations or fill ATM machines? Since the virus is very contagious it’s possible that a group of people who all work together could all get sick together. So they want you to be prepared in case the worst happens, even if that worst is a remote possibility. We go through that every year with hurricane season, and have dealt with the reality of no power or no gas or no food/water for weeks in some areas. Even though a lot of things seem to be automated, they still require people to monitor and maintain the systems.

My take on it is they want you to be prepared in case so many people get sick that certain businesses can’t operate. For example, what if there isn’t anyone available to monitor power plants, or deliver gasoline to stations or fill ATM machines? Since the virus is very contagious it’s possible that a group of people who all work together could all get sick together. So they want you to be prepared in case the worst happens, even if that worst is a remote possibility. We go through that every year with hurricane season, and have dealt with the reality of no power or no gas or no food/water for weeks in some areas. Even though a lot of things seem to be automated, they still require people to monitor and maintain the systems.

Where has this happened during this virus outbreak? What country lost electricity, water, ability to pay by credit, gas?

Telling people to basically get cash is going to make people PANIC worse than they already are. Borders on irresponsibility.

I was open to social distancing, cancelling large gatherings, etc. - to curb the spread. I get it. But now someone on another thread is saying that the governor of California is going to tell the people to get full tanks of gas and have cash on hand. People are going to panic, make a run on banks and make things worse. Why? Why would you even suggest that? No country has had computer systems breakdown....I don't understand.
What the heck is going on? Has everyone lost their mind? The reaction at this point is what is actually, really scaring me.

We are going out to dinner tonight. We are healthy, we will wash our hands and stay away from my elderly parents for a while. We will support our local economy as much as we can right now.
My friend in upstate NY (no confirmed cases in her area) said her grocery is out of basic food staples like pasta, soup, and other canned goods.

Taking things too far and being careful are two different things. This has another 6-10 weeks to peak out in the us. So we are going to bring the country to a standstill, cost people jobs, cost people homes, cost people savings, and completely tank the economy globally. It will force a horrible recession and at the end of the day. We will be asking for what? Was it worth it? I have a feeling most people will say no when this is all said and done.

If we can limit that peak so the peak isn't that bad then we may come out of this in good shape. The time to try to contain this is now not when the peak hits. We want to avoid or lessen that peak. Some countries like Italy waited too long to do anything and now are in bad shape. We don't want to be them.

You can’t tell me mass media hysteria isn’t a factor. The swine flu infected 60 million people in the US and killed over 12,000 and nothing shut down. No one cared. It was just another version of the flu that killed old people. Everyone dying is old or had health issues and compromised immune systems already and children are hardly affected at all by this virus. It’s 100% media based fear.

No, it's not. For many reasons, that have been covered time and again. Swine flu worked much like seasonal flu - the cases were spread out over a long period of time (those numbers were spread out over 2 years), that didn't overwhelm the health care systems. Covid is causing a huge spike in cases, which are swamping and overwhelming health care systems. It has already killed over 4,000 in 2.5 months. Give it 2 years like swine flu, and that works out to 38000+ deaths. Furthermore, it is more aggressive than swine flu. 15% need hospitalization, 5% of those need life support. Both of those require hospitalization measured in weeks. Swine flu, unlike Covid, DIDN'T target older people any more than others. Swine Flu responded to antivirals that were already available on the market, and the pneumonia that followed, responded to antibiotics - neither of which are the case for Covid. I could go on. But the level of ignorance surrounding Covid will only continue to add to the danger.

Where has this happened during this? What country lost electricity, water, ability to pay by credit, gas?

Telling people to basically get cash is going to make people PANIC worse than they already area. Borders on irresponsibility.
I guess I see it differently because of what we go through for hurricanes. To me, it’s just a practicality to have food, water, gas and cash on hand if there is a possibility of any disruptions. So I don’t see it as something to panic about. But people in other areas might, because it’s out of their norm.

To be honest, I don’t know whether areas hit hard by the virus have had those kind of disruptions because the focus has been on the health impact rather than the economic impact. But, for example, I get my power from an electric cooperative. I don’t know how many employees they have, but let’s say they have 100 since it’s not huge. If 25 of them get sick, even mild cases, that’s a quarter of the workforce out for approx two weeks. On top of that, now the coworkers have to be quarantined for two weeks because they were exposed. Who does that leave to provide power? Not saying that will happen, but it’s not impossible either. Unlike hurricane season, they may not be able to rely on the assistance of other power companies who will be dealing with their own virus issues. Other businesses could have the same problem. It is better to be prepared ahead of time, in a reasonable manner (not 12 years of TP worth) than to need something and no longer be able to get it.

Containment is not the goal, slowing the pace of the spread is.

If 100,000 people in Ohio already have the virus.....there is no slowing the spread. That means millions of Americans are already exposed. And within the next 2-4 weeks, the hospitals will blow up.

If that is a true number, then the spread has already happened.

I guess I see it differently because of what we go through for hurricanes. To me, it’s just a practicality to have food, water, gas and cash on hand if there is a possibility of any disruptions. So I don’t see it as something to panic about. But people in other areas might, because it’s out of their norm.

To be honest, I don’t know whether areas hit hard by the virus have had those kind of disruptions because the focus has been on the health impact rather than the economic impact. But, for example, I get my power from an electric cooperative. I don’t know how many employees they have, but let’s say they have 100 since it’s not huge. If 25 of them get sick, even mild cases, that’s a quarter of the workforce out for approx two weeks. On top of that, now the coworkers have to be quarantined for two weeks because they were exposed. Who does that leave to provide power? Not saying that will happen, but it’s not impossible either. Unlike hurricane season, they may not be able to rely on the assistance of other power companies who will be dealing with their own virus issues. Other businesses could have the same problem. It is better to be prepared ahead of time, in a reasonable manner (not 12 years of TP worth) than to need something and no longer be able to get it.

Your answer is reasonable and sane. :)

A governor telling everyone to fill up their tanks and have cash on hand is not reasonable and sane.

We are supposed to be able to look to our leaders - all of them - for rational, calm, thought out guidance. Instead everyone is saying anything with no forethought.

We are getting emails from our local restaurants telling us how they are preparing, cleaning, how safe it is to eat there. It's almost heartbreaking.

Last edited:
If 100,000 people in Ohio already have the virus.....there is no slowing the spread. That means millions of Americans are already exposed. And within the next 2-4 weeks, the hospitals will blow up.

If that is a true number, then the spread has already happened.

If 100,000 people already have the virus, I would expect your hospitals in Ohio have already exploded. Unless of course most of the cases did not require any kind of hospitalization.

If we can limit that peak so the peak isn't that bad then we may come out of this in good shape. The time to try to contain this is now not when the peak hits. We want to avoid or lessen that peak. Some countries like Italy waited too long to do anything and now are in bad shape. We don't want to be them.

They don't get it. I don't understand why, but they don't get it.

Agree, but it has to be done in a rational way. I hope there are plans in place for the long term. We just can't keep businesses closed indefinitely. People are already out jobs without any of the "promised assistance" even being voted on!

Your answer is reasonable and sane. :)

A governor telling everyone to fill up their tanks and have cash on hand is not reasonable and sane.

We are supposed to be able to look to our leaders - all of them - for rational, calm, thought out guidance. Instead everyone is saying anything with no forethought.

And if it's not true, that governor isn't going to say that, then that's symptomatic of another issue. People spreading rumors on social media feeding the frenzy.

We are getting emails from our local restaurants telling us how they are preparing, cleaning, how safe it is to eat there. It's almost heartbreaking.

I agree that I would like to hear more facts and less of whatever the media has been feeding us, particularly from those in local governments (since they are the ones we depend on most). There is a lot of conflicting information swirling around out there, and it needs to stop. Just the facts please!

I also agree with what you are saying about local restaurants. I actually have a vacation planned for the next two weeks to visit family and eating out is something we like to do. I hope we are able to, especially as one of my favorite restaurants in that area is closing on the 22nd due to the owner retiring and I will be crushed if I don’t get to dine there one last time. That is an experience I can’t reschedule . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter