Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems like a more official/polite way of saying, “We don’t really know what your wait is going to be” lol

Wait times for most rides always varied by group sizes, but I imagine even more so now with social distancing. I don't remember reading reports of folks that waited that much longer than the posted wait times. It's usually been less than or equal to the posted time. But that was back when the parks were at 25%, so I have a feeling WDW may be struggling with wait times since they increased to 35% capacity.

If you asked me, it seems like Disney IT is working on implementing the types of code changes I would classify as "low hanging fruit" rather than work on the much harder "virtual queue" issues.

Seems like a more official/polite way of saying, “We don’t really know what your wait is going to be” lol

Seems like there have been pretty consistent reports of displayed times being longer than actual waits - wonder if this change will let them put up times that are more accurate or typical but then thi slanguage sort of protects them if the wait winds up beig longer

Just realize your mileage may vary when requesting space. We had a terrible experience on the safari and felt very unsafe last week. Despite being a walk-on they were seating every row, so I asked for space and the CM kept saying "but there's dividers for safety", and i kept saying "but we would like a row between us and others because we don't feel safe even with the dividers." After 3 requests she finally said ok and directed us to row 7, which we took because there was no one in 6 or 8. As soon as we sat and got settled, she loaded people in those 2 rows (it was definitely the same CM) and as i was saying to DH we should get off, away the vehicle went and we were stuck for 20 minutes (or maybe more - we had a rhino traffic jam!).

To add insult to injury, row 9 was left empty; they could have put us there, and the row 8 family in row 7, and had the same number of people in the vehicle but complied with our request.

The row 8 family had an unmasked child right behind me who kept leaning out of the vehicle and forward so she was almost even with us (I'm shocked the driver didn't say anything - that kid was out of the vehicle from her knees up, only being held by one adult arm), and another adult in their party took her mask off and the driver said nothing so finally i had to ask her to put her mask on. I am not confrontational and this was way outside my comfort zone. The kid looked under 2 so not breaking rules there, but seating an unmasked person behind someone who's asked for space seemed pretty uncool on the CM's part, and then between the kid leaning around the divider and the adult unmasking, it was very uncomfortable.

I know many people on here have reported having luck asking for extra spacing, but it clearly doesn't always happen. Just be prepared to stand up for yourself. We had similar issues at FoP that day (unmasked guy behind us for 30 min in line and no one said a word) and the next day at epcot (placed every row on LwtL and guy in front of me took off his mask, and again i had to ask him to put it on). We actually skipped our next park day after that because we felt so stressed about the lack of safety, though we went to MK a couple days later right before we left and it was much better.

I'm sad, because we were going to come back in feb or march, but after those AK and EP days, there's just no way I'm setting foot in the parks again anytime soon. We may do a resort stay at the FW cabins, but that's about it. I think disney is really dropping the ball on safety; in addition to the incidents above, there were just scads of unmasked people and not enough CMs to monitor. They need to hire back CMs and put them on enforcement and monitoring. I loved how every DVC sales booth had at least 2 CMs shooting the breeze, but there weren't sufficient CMs to monitor the crowds or rides. You can tell what's important to the company, and it's not safety.

Sorry for the novel. We were just really disappointed and surprised at how many unmasked people there were, and especially with the CM's attitude at KS.
Did you go complain afterwards?! That’s shocking and a complaint definitely should have been made about the CM.

Did you go complain afterwards?! That’s shocking and a complaint definitely should have been made about the CM.

I didn't at the time, but there were many suggestions here to send an email to wdw about it, and i think i will. At the time, DH and I were both pretty shellshocked, i think. DH kept saying "she just didn't care. She lied right to us and didn't care" like he couldn't believe it. then afterwards i kind of convinced myself maybe i was overreacting. Looking back on it, though, it was pretty bad - if the CM had just said no, we would have done something else and tried again later.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since KS and 13 days since LwtL and no covid symptoms so far, so hopefully we are out of the woods, but the whole experience definitely made the remainder of our trip way more stressful.

I didn't at the time, but there were many suggestions here to send an email to wdw about it, and i think i will. At the time, DH and I were both pretty shellshocked, i think. DH kept saying "she just didn't care. She lied right to us and didn't care" like he couldn't believe it. then afterwards i kind of convinced myself maybe i was overreacting. Looking back on it, though, it was pretty bad - if the CM had just said no, we would have done something else and tried again later.

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since KS and 13 days since LwtL and no covid symptoms so far, so hopefully we are out of the woods, but the whole experience definitely made the remainder of our trip way more stressful.

Theres no such thing as overreacting right now. There are many people that would not be OK with what you and your family went through. I wouldn’t have, and while I’m cautious, I’m not overly obsessive with every little thing going on around me. If you’re not comfortable with a situation during a pandemic, you’re absolutely in the right to let it be known that you have an issue. Don’t not write an email because you didn’t get sick, that’s Disney getting lucky, not you.

Last edited:
Does someone have a link to the info around the planned implementation for the 2PM park hopping?

My current thinking is that one will be able to park hop to any park at 2PM as long as you have a park reservation for any one park for that day. At one point I was thinking that they wouldn't allow hopping to a park already at capacity, but I foresee a some unhappy folks if they did that. There's a piece of me that thinks WDW will be looking closely at the actual capacity numbers that each park achieves after 2PM until the end of the day but won't restrict them to 35% each. This could be roundabout way for them to forge ahead with increasing capacity at the parks overall come March.

For those really late risers or folks arriving at WDW after 2PM, I'm not sure if you have to actually go to your reserved park first before hopping to another park - which was why I wanted a link to see the details if there are any details (other than the starting at 2PM).

Does someone have a link to the info around the planned implementation for the 2PM park hopping?

My current thinking is that one will be able to park hop to any park at 2PM as long as you have a park reservation for any one park for that day. At one point I was thinking that they wouldn't allow hopping to a park already at capacity, but I foresee a some unhappy folks if they did that. There's a piece of me that thinks WDW will be looking closely at the actual capacity numbers that each park achieves after 2PM until the end of the day but won't restrict them to 35% each. This could be roundabout way for them to forge ahead with increasing capacity at the parks overall come March.

For those really late risers or folks arriving at WDW after 2PM, I'm not sure if you have to actually go to your reserved park first before hopping to another park - which was why I wanted a link to see the details if there are any details (other than the starting at 2PM).

below is the story from wdwinfo.

to some of the points you raise, it specifically says you have to physically go to the park that you make you reservation for and it also says that hoping to a park is subject to that parks capacity limitations

https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/modified-park-hopping-returns-to-disney-world-in-january/

The new option will require guests to make a Park Pass Reservations for their first park of the day then physically go to that park.
At 2 p.m. they can head to any other Disney theme park for the rest of the day until that park closes without needing a second reservation.
It's important to note that capacity limits are still in place and could change at any time.

Nnooo. The Ahsoka her universe pins are back in stock at Epcot. I don't get back to Orlando til Saturday 😭
I am here now - we are in Epcot tomorrow. Would it be something I can grab and mail to you? I know nothing about these pins, so you would need to let me know where they are and what they look like. Then obviously, if you are comfortable DM’ing me your address. I live in Ohio, so wouldn’t be able to send until I get home next weekend. Happy to help if possible!

to some of the points you raise, it specifically says you have to physically go to the park that you make you reservation for and it also says that hoping to a park is subject to that parks capacity limitations

Thanks - that was what I was looking for. Sounds like if a park has no availability in all buckets it can't be hopped to. But also the "It's important to note that capacity limits are still in place and could change at any time. " could mean that if enough folks hop to a second park they can shut down access there too. I'd hate to travel all the way to park #2 and find out when I get there I can't get in. Or if traveling with a large group, only some can get in and the rest are out of luck. Probably can just wait to see if folks are leaving. Still confusing if the post-hop capacity is reached and someone wants to get back into their original park.

I doubt we see issues in January or February, unless the locals and APs are back in force on the weekends again.

Last edited:
Thanks - that was what I was looking for. Sounds like if a park has no availability in all buckets it can't be hopped to. But also the "It's important to note that capacity limits are still in place and could change at any time. " could mean that if enough folks hop to a second park they can shut down access there too. I'd hate to travel all the way to park #2 and find out when I get there I can't get in. Or if traveling with a large group, only some can get in and the rest are out of luck. Probably can just wait to see if folks are leaving. Still confusing if the post-hop capacity is reached and someone wants to get back into their original park.

I doubt we see issues in January or February, unless the locals and APs are back in force on the weekends again.

Yeah, I am sure like the first few days there will be a lot of people trying to Hop just because they can but then it should slow down - especially with shorter park hours just don't see tons of demand (other than maybe over to Epcot for food) - though I know at least some will

I do hope they have a way to notify people about capacity levels at the other parks before they try to hop there. And not just "park is at capacity" but like how much is left? I would hate to leave one park and then the one I am going to fills up while I am en route there. Maybe have like a Red Yell Green system for how much capacity is left?

I've seen a bunch of typos calling it "Park Hoping". That may be more accurate than we "hop" for. We're heading down on January 9th for a week. I cancelled all of my resort dining dinners and booked Epcot dinners. I'm going to be in a pickle if they reach capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter