Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy Question: How do you know who your steward is? How would you contact him if you needed to?

My one and only cruise I never ever saw the person who cared for our room.

Crazy Question: How do you know who your steward is? How would you contact him if you needed to?

On every DCL we've done, the room steward introduced himself when we first entered the room. On the Dream, he showed us how the lights and such worked with the key card. I'll admit, we never saw him again until the last night, but if you need to find yours, you can ask any of the others who you may see in the hall if they can call the room attendent for cabin ####.

We saw our steward multiple times a day. By the end, I thought he was one of my kids. When I told him I really like the H2O products, he always left me extras.
I found out after we left the ship that the stewards are not paid a salary but rely ONLY on the tips they receive.:eek:

Rosie, if you use your wave phone, there is a direct line to housekeeping, and if I am correct, it will actually ring the steward, but call between 8 an 2 or after 6pnm. They usually have a break from 2 to 6. There is also a button on the regular phone next to the bed for housekeeping.

Some of them are pretty tricky and seem to appear and work only when you are gone! You will see the person eventually because you will have to sign for your Castaway Club gift, you know the one that is waiting for you when you get to your room.

About the Tea with Alice (or whoever is hosting) you should get the tickets first thing after embarkation, in the customer service counter. But, if you don't have them, you can go to the place where they are having the event and ask the CM if you can get in, I saw two families doing that when we were last year and they both were accepted. Just after everyone with tickets passed, they let them go.

This isn't a "secret", but a suggestion. When on a DCL excursion, put your character sticker on a backpack or underneath something. We came back from a great cruise in the Med, and all our photos had the stickers on them!

I wear my laynard and put the sticker inside it and don't even take off the back of the sticker. You won't loose it and you wont have a # or Character in your photo.

OK...so here's what I've got so far, thanks to all of you:goodvibes

1) Deck 7 - quiet little spot
2) Bubba kegs are ok - just fill with the cups by the Deck 9 station, not directly into the BK
3) Diversions is a lovely late afternoon, well, diversion;)
4) Photo mattes, can add a "Wonder" sticker, sticky note for photo orientation, ziplock bag with sharpies in all colours, or black, drop off first thing
5) Same with pillowcases - prewash, markers, labeled, drop off early
6) Lots of treats, yummies, phone cards, for our fabulous CMs and Youth Acitivities CMs:goodvibes:goodvibes
7) Fish extenders...too cute!!
8) Shower/shave for DH at the locker room - he will so appreciate that. He wasn't really thrilled about the cruise room size shower situation:goodvibes
9) MAgnets ONLY for the doors, no tape, poster stick, zip, nada
10)Clothespins!
11)Travel clock
12)TV on bridge view or basketball court at night, muted, sign comes up, inside cabin gets lighter:thumbsup2
13)Drink O' the day from the bar, not the waiter traveling around
14)Power bar
15)No need to bring books or magazines/can borrow from the Cove
16)Mickey Bars are room service available! Woohoo!
17)Bring on a Box of wine in our carryon
18)Bring day bag/carryon with swimsuits and FE, etc
19)Small USD bills
20)Flashlight
21)Grungy undies, and toss 'em!! LOL!

I know I missed some great tips, but will reread for more!!:surfweb::surfweb: Thanks everyone!!

:)

Do these tips apply to all the Disney Cruise Ships? For example when you say Deck 7 is a quite spot is that just for The Magic and Wonder or does that include the Dream as well? Same with Diversions and where ever it is you can find the shuffle boards??

I wear my laynard and put the sticker inside it and don't even take off the back of the sticker. You won't loose it and you wont have a # or Character in your photo.

There's an idea, but knowing me I would probably forget to take off the lanyard and end up with it on all my photos! :rotfl:

Do these tips apply to all the Disney Cruise Ships? For example when you say Deck 7 is a quite spot is that just for The Magic and Wonder or does that include the Dream as well? Same with Diversions and where ever it is you can find the shuffle boards??

The "secret" veranda on deck seven is only on the Magic and Wonder. Diversions is on the Wonder, it might have a different name on the MAgic. I assume there is some sort of the same type lounge on the Dream, but I won't know till November.

Regarding No. 13, get DOD from bar, not walking waiter, may I ask why?
I like to have a couple (OK, Few) drinks on vacaiton and cruise often but never knew I should go to bar instead.
Thanks so much!

I like to have a couple (OK, Few) drinks on vacaiton and cruise often but never knew I should go to bar instead.
Thanks so much!

I think the ones on the waiters tray may have been made a while ago, and ice is melted and they aren't as fresh/cold. Plus I think the bartenders like the interface with passengers, and might take more care making the individual drinks (it doesn't hurt that the bartender gets that tip vs the walking waiter).

My DS and DH would go to Diversions (on the Wonder) in the late afternoon and take a big plate full of those wings. When you get them from room service, you get about a half dozen.

Thanks so much!

When I read this tip before our first cruise, I thought maybe the drinks were stronger from the bar than the waiters (like when we get our mint juleps at the Derby), but they are poured from the same container of pre-mixed drinks. We found the reason to be as stated above - less watered down and colder, fresher drinks. If you watch the waiters they can be standing around for 30 minutes with the same drinks on their trays.

IPod alarm clocks are on the Wonder. You need a degree in mathematics or mechanical engineering to set the alarm on one, though.

I'm laughing here because our first night on the Dream I couldn't set that darm alarm for anything!!! :confused: Not sure if it is the same one as the Wonder. :confused3

My husband was making fun of me UNTIL he tried and failed. It never did get set.

I'm laughing here because our first night on the Dream I couldn't set that darm alarm for anything!!! :confused: Not sure if it is the same one as the Wonder. :confused3

My husband was making fun of me UNTIL he tried and failed. It never did get set.

I couldn't do it either. Finally gave up and used my wife's Iphone and used the clock and alarm on it.

I would probably still be there trying to figure it out. :confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter