Cruising While Transgender

Serin76

Earning My Ears
So, you probably know where this question is going.

I've had many happy experiences at WDW in recent years as a transwoman. It's been great.

I know that cruising is a whole different animal, though. I know there are countries that would love to kill me just for daring to exist. I know how to do my research and figure out which ports of call are safe and which not so much.

My more specific question is, does anyone have any experience and advice of being transgender on Disney Cruise Ships and at Castaway Cay. Is the acceptance at all similar to Disney Parks or am I just better off staying at home? (Or going to WDW instead).

I already changed my name on everything last year. I think, occasionally about changing the gender on my passport too since they seem willing to let me choose my own.

Some might be tempted to say "Well as long as you pass..." I don't. I do my best, but I know I don't.

Any input is appreciated.

I’m not sure what sort of issues you might run into as far as name changes and things on the reservation needing to match up with your passport or your government ID… however, I imagine you would be incredibly safe on Castaway itself.

It is 100% an extension of the disney bubble. I would do a lot of research about other countries, though before I would consider any place beyond Castaway. And keep in mind there’s always plenty to do on the ships when the ships are in port.

And I can just speak for myself, but if you were on any cruise I was on, you’d be more than welcome to pull up a chair and join me for a Disney trivia team at any point 😊

ETA- Due to some increased risk (however, minimal) I would definitely make sure you’re bringing a loved one or friend with you and not cruising solo.

Last edited:
Looks like you’re planning a Caribbean cruise? I’m not transgender, but I’m a super type A, anxious person (and in therapy for it…I’m a constant work in progress) and I’ve never been on a cruise before. We have a 7 year old son and with this all being new to us, I’m a little nervous about getting off the boat in foreign ports. I found a few cruises next summer (2024) which stop at BOTH Castaway Cay and Disney’s new private area, Lighthouse Point. We decided to book one of those and stay on the boat in Nassau. My son will still get 2 days to get off the boat and go to a beach, which is really what he wants to do. It seems like a win/win for our family.

Just thought I’d mention this because it seems like a nice compromise for people who are concerned about foreign ports for whatever reason.

We've been on lots of DCL cruises and have observed apparent TG folks on a couple of them. The staff and other passengers all seem to have no problem with them. You should be very safe while on board or at CC. Of course Disney can't control what happens in foreign ports.

I suppose there could be some unruly passengers that may be offended but fortunately you'll have Disney on your side if there is an incident.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ship and Castaway. Please investigate the ports thoroughly. But I think if you go on a Disney organized excursion you can reduce some possible risks, versus going on your own, if one of the places you go to is less friendly to trans people.

Your reservation will have to match your name on your passport, but of course, when introducing yourself to your servers and stateroom host you can give them your chosen name and tell them to use it to address you.

One other thing to think about is swimwear, if you want to go for a swim or to the spa. Swimwear is tight and reveals every curve of your body. That is the only moment where I think people might look or even say something. I don't mean hide yourself or don't wear swimwear on a Caribbean cruise, but to be sure I would stick to the adult pool and Serenity Bay. Kids have no filter and some parents may unneccesarily be worried about their kids. If you are not transitioned, maybe look for swimming skirts with a busy print.

Other option, a different cruiseline. Virgin Voyages is known for having a LGBTQ+ friendly atmosphere (not the right word here, but can't think of the right one). And there are cruiselines who do specific LGBTQ+ cruises, mostly in Pride month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter