Current Cancellation Timing

MiddKid

Mouseketeer
Originally booked Norway for July 2020. Dealt with the "rolling the dice" situation at the time where we paid the full amount and just had to hope the trip was cancelled in order to get the refund. Obviously it was cancelled and we took the refund.

Re-booked for July 2021 when they had the refundable deposit policy. We cancelled last spring and got the deposit back.

When 2022 opened we booked Norway July 2022. I've paid the deposit and gotten the email about the revised 65 day policy for final payment. Not just due to COVID, but for a number of other reasons we're thinking we don't do this trip. We've had other travel needs pop up for this summer and it's just not going to work. My question:

Two years ago people were forced into that decision of either cancelling on their own and getting a placeholder or paying the final amount and hoping it gets cancelled. With the payment deadline being pushed out to 65 days, are we finding that trips are getting cancelled before that? I'm prepared to put my deposit into a placeholder but would love a refund if they are going to cancel the trip anyway. Would stink to get a placeholder on day 66 only to find out the trip is cancelled on day 45!

I know nothing is "normal" nowadays but I'm just trying to feel out my options. Thanks all!

With the payment deadline being pushed out to 65 days, are we finding that trips are getting cancelled before that? I'm prepared to put my deposit into a placeholder but would love a refund if they are going to cancel the trip anyway. Would stink to get a placeholder on day 66 only to find out the trip is cancelled on day 45!
People have been posting that for the most part, recently AbD has been trying to cancel prior to the PIF date when possible. There are always extenuating circumstances possible, like a country being moved to Level 4 or the tour country setting some travel restrictions within that window between PIF and departure which might cause a late cancellation.

If you have Cancel for Any Reason insurance, that might also be an avenue for you to explore.

I’ve been wondering the same thing about our Japan trip. When PIF was 90 days, cancelling before that was sufficient notice. Cancelling a major international trip 65 days out is unacceptable, IMO. As much as I appreciate pushing the PIF date, I hope ABD doesn’t use it as an excuse to do last minute cancellations.

With that said, Japan has been closed for 2 years with no absolutely indication of when it might open. I think ABD will need more than 65 days to finalize the details and/or make changes to the itinerary if/when Japan ever does announce that it’s open for travel.

It’s really hard to predict. I think our Egypt trip (supposed to be Feb 15, with our flight leaving Feb 13) was canceled about 3 weeks ahead of time, about 4 days after the country was designated as having a Level 4 travel advisory. Pretty short notice, and done after we’d spent a fair amount of money on supplies we no longer need, but.. we at least got a full refund on the trip itself.

I’ve been wondering the same thing about our Japan trip. When PIF was 90 days, cancelling before that was sufficient notice. Cancelling a major international trip 65 days out is unacceptable, IMO. As much as I appreciate pushing the PIF date, I hope ABD doesn’t use it as an excuse to do last minute cancellations.

With that said, Japan has been closed for 2 years with no absolutely indication of when it might open. I think ABD will need more than 65 days to finalize the details and/or make changes to the itinerary if/when Japan ever does announce that it’s open for travel.

Japan also went to level 4 today so I think that’s the final nail in the coffin for the listed spring trips.

I'm curious about a place like China where we have a deposit on one of the June trips - aren't they technically level 1?? But their quarantine rules are outrageous. Wondering what ABD is thinking with those trips.

Japan also went to level 4 today so I think that’s the final nail in the coffin for the listed spring trips.

It's looking more and more like we will be going to the Azores this year. Can't complain about that, and I guess I'll move our Japan trip to a placeholder for 2023. I doubt the schedule will be out before our trip is cancelled.

I'm curious about a place like China where we have a deposit on one of the June trips - aren't they technically level 1?? But their quarantine rules are outrageous. Wondering what ABD is thinking with those trips.
It’s only a level 3, which I find interesting, however China is not issuing tourist visas and has not reopened. I don’t see any possibility of those trips moving forward.

Agree 100%. They made it sound like they are doing us a favor by not requiring full payment until 65 days out, when in fact it seems to allow them to wait even longer before finalizing any cancellations. It's much more convenient for ABD than for us. It'll make getting airfare and other arrangements (like an extended trip for Disney Tokyo) almost impossible without spending another small fortune - if they don't cancel for 2022.

Agree 100%. They made it sound like they are doing us a favor by not requiring full payment until 65 days out, when in fact it seems to allow them to wait even longer before finalizing any cancellations. It's much more convenient for ABD than for us. It'll make getting airfare and other arrangements (like an extended trip for Disney Tokyo) almost impossible without spending another small fortune - if they don't cancel for 2022.

We really want to do Tokyo Disney. It would be a dealbreaker on the trip if we couldn’t.

With that said, I can’t fault ABD for any issues with those reservations or the cost. You can’t even make reservations for the parks right now. ABD doesn’t control that.

The airline ticket is an issue, though. You can buy those right now, but I’m not sinking $5k into airline tickets for a trip that I doubt will go. And 65 days out is really too late to try to purchase tickets for a flight that long that coincides with very specific and inflexible travel dates.

I can't imagine Japan opening up before the end of summer. I've heard from some friends who live there that closing the border is a popular move.

Had an early April trip to Italy, was canceled end of January. Now it was seen it came off the website, so my TA called and ABD was very reluctant to tell us; even "how did you know" "stop listening to online rumors". When my TA spoke to a supervisor, it was confirmed canceled. That was pretty sour taste to my mouth, if it is canceled it is canceled. Call and email me, give me my options, and I decide. I was a little annoyed they kept saying "we are reaching out" taking days and weeks to do. Leaving the country is a big freaking deal from babysitters, dog sitters, work getting off, flights, covid testing, etc. It isn't going away for a couple of days. I feel they want to speak to each person to get them to rebook to hang onto the money for year three. Another person on my trip called a week after me and was told by ABD it was NOT canceled. :oops: even after we got our refund notice from ABD. I called ABD and again they were scared to tell me, put me on hold for 20 minutes, came back............oh yes it is canceled. OH Jeezzzzz

If anyone from ABD is reading this, please go down the hall and speak to the folks at DCL. They are dealing with things like they should, open and honest communication. Up front when they know. I was so excited to go on an ABD when we booked precovid, was told how amazing the service was and they take care of things. This made my husband and party group so concerned for the level of customer care from not answering some Italy Covid law questions to getting testy when we asked if it was canceled, we canceled our DCL, and WDW trip for 2022. We have tickets already for WDW for a day, but will be staying somewhere else (shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Universal) I want to see some serious leadership changes at Disney. Delta air lines took five minutes to fix my issues and gave me flexibility for two years. The fish rots from the head down, right? I hated canceling my DCL since they have been doing an amazing job this pandemic. The ABD refund/rebook offer is a joke! $500 off another trip if my trip got canceled, but the price went up $1K...................rightttttttttttttttttttttt

Last edited:
Another person on my trip called a week after me and was told by ABD it was NOT canceled. :oops: even after we got our refund notice from ABD. I called ABD and again they were scared to tell me, put me on hold for 20 minutes, came back............oh yes it is canceled.

I... wow. This is like a master class in how not to communicate change. Geez.

Just saw that the May China trip says "Not available for booking" - Is that ABD-speak for "we are about to cancel" ?

I'm eagerly awaiting to hear our June China trip cancelled so I can recoup the deposit.

Question since I haven’t dealt with an ABD cancellation before:

If our trip to Japan is cancelled before 2023 dates and prices are out and I book a “placeholder” for the same trip 1) will ABD honor our current price and 2) if the dates that are published don’t work for us, will I get the deposit back?

Question since I haven’t dealt with an ABD cancellation before:

If our trip to Japan is cancelled before 2023 dates and prices are out and I book a “placeholder” for the same trip 1) will ABD honor our current price and 2) if the dates that are published don’t work for us, will I get the deposit back?
I have seen many people reporting that even if they immediately rebooked at trip for the next year, they were paying the new pricing, and not having their current pricing honored. I don't know if that's an official policy, or what the specific circumstances were, but I've seen that mentioned multiple times. I do not believe you will get the deposit back if you don't like the prices. My understanding (which granted, is not super current) is that placeholders are just generic, and not a placeholder for a specific trip. (ie, you are placeholding "a trip", not a specific trip).

Sayhello

They also don't consider placeholders to be "new" bookings which is required for their early booking discounts and such when trips are released. Unless they offer you something significant to keep it, you're better off having them fully refund your money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter