• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS - Getting return times

No, it's not discrimination. Rider Swap is not a right of access. It's a bonus WDW allows. They don't have to have it. They could make people wait in the standard queue twice if they wanted to.

Of course they could not have it at all. But, the fact that they do allow it, means they should allow it for every instance where there is an individual that requires supervision and can't ride. As I said, in my experience, the DO allow people to use it for reasons other than height. I have never personally experienced, or seen, them deny anyone.

It was just a thought that I threw out there, and certainly don't want to debate the legalities of it. Disney does an excellent job of accommodating everyone, and it certainly wasn't intended as a criticism in any way.

Of course they could not have it at all. But, the fact that they do allow it, means they should allow it for every instance where there is an individual that requires supervision and can't ride. As I said, in my experience, the DO allow people to use it for reasons other than height. I have never personally experienced, or seen, them deny anyone.

It was just a thought that I threw out there, and certainly don't want to debate the legalities of it. Disney does an excellent job of accommodating everyone, and it certainly wasn't intended as a criticism in any way.

It's not for people who require supervision, though, It's for people too short to ride, that's all.

Per Disney’s website, Rider Switch applies to any guest.
Rider Switch
This handy feature allows adult Guests to take turns waiting with youngsters or Guests unable to ride.
What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction.”

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

But, just because a guest can’t ride an attraction, does not mean Rider Switch is available for it, even with DAS.
Also, keep in mind that DAS can only be used for attractions the DAS user will be going on. You can’t use a DAS Return Time and ‘Rider Swap’ the DAS user.

The Disney website has a list of attractions that offer Rider Switch; those attractions have a mechanism for doing Rider Swap.
You can ASK at other attractions, but are likely to be told no. The easiest way around it (and the one we use) is to get Fastpasses for those attractions. The first group goes in while someone from group 2 waits. When group 1 is done, we switch. If we have more than 3 people in our group, we divide ourselves up so no one is riding alone.

This is the list of attractions with a Rider Swatch.
Magic Kingdom Park
The Barnstormer
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Stitch’s Great Escape
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

Epcot
Frozen Ever After
Mission: SPACE
Soarin'
Test Track

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Star Tours® - The Adventures Continue
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
DINOSAUR
Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®
Kali River Rapids
Primeval Whirl

What if the reason you need the DAS in the first place is that the standby line is inaccessible to you? (In my case, stairs or low light levels)
I had a problem with this on my last trip. My child has mental health issues and I generally want to use the fast pass line if I feel there are just fewer people in proximity to us, regardless of whether the stand by line is short. I would explain repeatedly and it made me really upset and I didn’t feel like I should have to keep saying that my child had real issues with people being close to her. For example, in its tough to be a bug, the cast member really tried to make me stand in the general area, stating I did not need to be behind the roped fast pass area, because I was going to get in regardless. However, I wanted her to be away from other people while we waited to go in. The cast member was really not nice about it.

I have a question RE DAS. Let's say we get a return time for a ride that has a 3 hour wait and then go to another ride that has only an hour wait, can we get a return time for that ride as well? Do we have to wait to ride the 1st ride before getting a second return time for a different ride? Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
I have a question RE DAS. Let's say we get a return time for a ride that has a 3 hour wait and then go to another ride that has only an hour wait, can we get a return ride for that ride as well? Do we have to wait to ride the 1st ride before getting a second return time for a different ride? Hope this makes sense.

You can only have one wait time at a time. So, you either have to ride the first one or cancel it before getting another one.

Think of it like being in a virtual line - you can only be in one line at a time.

Per Disney’s website, Rider Switch applies to any guest.
Rider Switch
This handy feature allows adult Guests to take turns waiting with youngsters or Guests unable to ride.
What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!

If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction.”

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

But, just because a guest can’t ride an attraction, does not mean Rider Switch is available for it, even with DAS.
Also, keep in mind that DAS can only be used for attractions the DAS user will be going on. You can’t use a DAS Return Time and ‘Rider Swap’ the DAS user.

The Disney website has a list of attractions that offer Rider Switch; those attractions have a mechanism for doing Rider Swap.
You can ASK at other attractions, but are likely to be told no. The easiest way around it (and the one we use) is to get Fastpasses for those attractions. The first group goes in while someone from group 2 waits. When group 1 is done, we switch. If we have more than 3 people in our group, we divide ourselves up so no one is riding alone.

This is the list of attractions with a Rider Swatch.
Magic Kingdom Park
The Barnstormer
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Stitch’s Great Escape
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

Epcot
Frozen Ever After
Mission: SPACE
Soarin'
Test Track

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Star Tours® - The Adventures Continue
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
DINOSAUR
Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®
Kali River Rapids
Primeval Whirl

But the website has been shown to have many errors.

I had a problem with this on my last trip. My child has mental health issues and I generally want to use the fast pass line if I feel there are just fewer people in proximity to us, regardless of whether the stand by line is short. I would explain repeatedly and it made me really upset and I didn’t feel like I should have to keep saying that my child had real issues with people being close to her. For example, in its tough to be a bug, the cast member really tried to make me stand in the general area, stating I did not need to be behind the roped fast pass area, because I was going to get in regardless. However, I wanted her to be away from other people while we waited to go in. The cast member was really not nice about it.

Jeepers, that really sucks.

I mean, I *guess* I understand the reasoning behind leaving so many decisions about accommodation up to the discretion of individual CM’s at the attractions, and maybe in a perfect world it would work out.

But CM’s are only human, and they're not always going to make good decisions.

Some may have biases (even unconscious ones!) about people with disabilities, especially hidden/invisible disabilities. Even those with the best intentions may just not understand the impact a disability can have, if they and their friends and family are all perfectly healthy. Some may have it in their head that they're protecting the park from “scammers” and need to be hyper-vigilant even if it means erring on the wrong side.

Still more of them are just plain overworked, because the parks are always crowded now and staffing levels are way too low to give good service to that many people. This is compounded by the number of young CM’s there on the College Program, who may be working with the public for the first time in their lives.*

I can't help but feel that some standard policies might be a great help to both Cast Members and guests with disabilities. Mind you, Disney does better than a lot of places, but there’s room for improvement.

*Like the nervous-looking, baby faced young man at the exit of Pirates of the Caribbean who, when the moving exit ramp wasn't working and I couldn't climb up it on crutches, at first insisted there was no other way out, and when I persisted said, “Well, I guess there *is* an elevator but we're not allowed to use it.” We had to stand there for what seemed like an eternity waiting for his supervisor to come (he was probably stretched just as thin as all the other CM’s). He sent us up in the elevator, but not a single word of apology.

I can't tell from your post if your daughter had a DAS. If you are trying to access the FP+ queue without a DAS or FP+ and simply explaining her needs at the attraction, I can probably understand why the CMs resisted allowing that as the system isn't set-up to work that way. With the DAS, you will return and use the FP+ queue; that will avoid explaining at each attraction. If she has a DAS but the waits were so short that you were directed to the standby queue, maybe you need to insist on receiving a DAS return-time for the next show (it sounds like your challenge was for shows). Or plan those attractions for your FP+ selections. Just be aware that even the FP+ holding areas for shows can get crowded on busy days.

Enjoy your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter