DAS is getting an Upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unclear if DAS holders will have Genie + access or just access to "next wait time based on standby lines" in Genie...standby waits will be very high, so if it's the latter, you might get a return time for Small World for 60 minutes, and then you'd ride and get your next wait time for Peter Pan for 90 minutes away...etc, etc...starting with 2 gets a day "off right" before those experiences might get bogged down...

It doesn't really matter which method they use - it's still an advantage that non-DAS holders have to pay for.

So far in my opinion the only clear positive to all this is having the ability to do the return time in the app instead of having to trek to the line.

It doesn't really matter which method they use - it's still an advantage that non-DAS holders have to pay for.

No, Genie is free for everyone...there is a question if the system will be providing DAS holders simply real time standby updates for waits (and booking 1/time) or will give access to what I'll just call "fast pass" slots for rides that may be faster than the current standby wait, which will be what the Genie + folks are buying.

No, Genie is free for everyone...there is a question if the system will be providing DAS holders simply real time standby updates for waits (and booking 1/time) or will give access to what I'll just call "fast pass" slots for rides that may be faster than the current standby wait, which will be what the Genie + folks are buying.
Genie isn't free if you want to reserve a ride time, unless you're a DAS holder. And it really doesn't matter whether a DAS holder is waiting the standby time or "fast pass" time - you're still getting access to the Lightning Lane for free.

It seems to me that they will just be giving the real wait time. Under the questions they say:

What is Disability Access Service (DAS), and how does it work?
Disability Access Service (DAS) is designed to accommodate Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). The service allows Guests to schedule a return time that is comparable to the current queue wait for the given attraction. It does not provide immediate attraction access.

They also say:

To maximize the benefits of DAS, Guests should plan ahead using available information to develop a tentative plan for their visit. Starting this fall, current and forecasted future wait times can be found in the Disney Genie service app tool, in addition to ride locations and attraction access options. DAS can also be used in addition to Disney’s Genie+ service and individual paid attraction selections (coming this fall).

Sure they can provide more, but when they do so, it incentivizes abuse, which is bad for DAS holders and non-DAS holders.

And I don't see how DAS holders are taking a hit at all - they're getting for free what everyone else has to pay at least $15/person per day for.
Genie + says
Disney Genie+ service (available for purchase): For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day”
They don’t specify how the next available time will be determined, but will probably be based on the same/similar system to how Fastpasses were determined. The examples shown on the app screen in the videos showed times less than the standby wait.

The DAS information says
“The service allows Guests to schedule a return time that is comparable to the current queue wait for the given attraction.”

It's unclear if DAS holders will have Genie + access or just access to "next wait time based on standby lines" in Genie...standby waits will be very high, so if it's the latter, you might get a return time for Small World for 60 minutes, and then you'd ride and get your next wait time for Peter Pan for 90 minutes away...etc, etc...starting with 2 gets a day "off right" before those experiences might get bogged down...
DAS holders will have access to Genie+. It will be $15/day per guest.

For the two advance DAS per day will you get to pick the return time or will they pick for you? Bit confused on how that will work.

Sure they can provide more, but when they do so, it incentivizes abuse, which is bad for DAS holders and non-DAS holders.

And I don't see how DAS holders are taking a hit at all - they're getting for free what everyone else has to pay at least $15/person per day for.
Oddly, DH agrees with this point and he needs a DAS, but this does seem to be a recipe for disaster.

I have read all the info that Disney has put out thus far but they have not said anything about party size when you use a DAS. Does anyone know if they decreased the number of people you can take in your group?

Because before they could combine FP+ AND the DAS. Now they can't, unless they pay for it. Disney recognizes that and is comping some for it.

Genie isn't free if you want to reserve a ride time, unless you're a DAS holder. And it really doesn't matter whether a DAS holder is waiting the standby time or "fast pass" time - you're still getting access to the Lightning Lane for free.

You don't get Genie+ for free as a DAS holder. They said that DAS will be booked through MDE, not Genie +.

I'm going to guess you're not a DAS user - otherwise I cant imagine why the big fuss that you'll get 2 advance passes.

You don't get Genie+ for free as a DAS holder. They said that DAS will be booked through MDE, not Genie +.

I'm going to guess you're not a DAS user - otherwise I cant imagine why the big fuss that you'll get 2 advance passes.
I don’t use one, although my sister does.

and the “fuss” as you call it is just what I’ve said repeatedly - when abuse is incentivized, it makes the guest experience worse for everyone, DAS holders and non-DAS holders alike.

I am curious to see what the line of questioning will be to get a DAS pass? I have a feeling it will not be as easy to get DAS, as it has been in the past. Especially since, they are rolling out this dedicated pre approval team. I bet it is easier to tell someone no, when they are not standing in front of you at guest sevices.

Given that the two advanced bookings can be done two days in advance, DAS holders have to be getting access to Genie+ (whether it is done through that app or a different one, you are getting what Genie+ does - for two rides). There is no « next wait time » two days before. The « normal » return times are next wait time (as they are now), but DAS holders are clearly getting Genie+ bookings (if we do the video chat thing). And, don’t have to deal with booking them at 7am on the morning off (which is when non-DAS Genie+ bookings can be done).

I agree with OurBigTrip and Evita - this is a « bonus » for DAS holders (of which I’m one) and I worry that it will lead to abuse and/or may be unsustaunable (like the GAC).

Same for the non-DAS holder, I.e.. they all have to pay for something that used to be free.

Oh well. The new system puts guests with a disability at a disadvantage when compared to how it used to be. Not to mention that anyone with a disability is at an inherent disadvantage the moment they step through the gate, no matter what system they have. Disney is actually trying to do so something nice, to try and improve their experience. Give them a little extra magic. At this point you're just whining.

As far as being more prone to abuse, possibly so. However, I also suspect that the process for getting one (as in the information you have to provide) may be changing, given their new explicit warning:

If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded.

Given that the two advanced bookings can be done two days in advance, DAS holders have to be getting access to Genie+ (whether it is done through that app or a different one, you are getting what Genie+ does - for two rides). There is no « next wait time » two days before. The « normal » return times are next wait time (as they are now), but DAS holders are clearly getting Genie+ bookings (if we do the video chat thing). And, don’t have to deal with booking them at 7am on the morning off (which is when non-DAS Genie+ bookings can be done).

I agree with OurBigTrip and Evita - this is a « bonus » for DAS holders (of which I’m one) and I worry that it will lead to abuse and/or may be unsustaunable (like the GAC).

You can do your advance DAS bookings as early as 30 days and up until 2 days in advance, and the bookings are done through MDE, not Genie+, it says so right on the Disney website. We will still have to pay for Genie+.

As far as being more prone to abuse, possibly so. However, I also suspect that the process for getting one (as in the information you have to provide) may be changing, given their new explicit warning:

If Disney determines that any of the statements a Guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true, the Guest will be permanently barred from entering Walt Disney World Resort and the Disneyland Resort, and any previously purchased annual passes, Magic Key passes, tickets and other park products and services will be forfeited and not refunded.
Yes, I have a feeling that Disney is going to have some sort of verification process. You can't prove someone made something up, unless there is something Disney is verifying. Curious, to see what it will be.I have a feeling this prebooking is going to allow them to validate whatever information they may need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter