DAS is getting an Upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much. Basically just their version of Touring Plans. You'll input your interests and they'll give you an itinerary.

My question: 2 advance selections for the whole trip? Or per day? Will they have to be in the same park, or could I choose one from MK and one from HS on a different day?
The answer to your question is not clear from what is on the website.
My DH read it as 2 DAS Advance selections for each day. I read it that it might just be 2 for the first day (similar to how some CMs have been setting up the first DAS Return Time when setting up DAS.

Not much. Basically just their version of Touring Plans. You'll input your interests and they'll give you an itinerary.

Right. So, I don’t understand your comment (well, your agreement with the comment) that the two advance selections are just what everyone can get through Genie. There are no rides with just Genie.

Oh. Good question. I assumed two per day but you’re right in that it wasn’t specifically stated.

So I’m thinking DAS plus genie+ (15$/per day) might be most efficient with paid tier 1 rides sprinkled in. Bummer about having to do most of this at 7 am on vacation though.

It was specifically stated:

What is DAS Advance and how does it work?
DAS Advance is a new, enhanced feature coming to the popular DAS program this fall. During the DAS Advance video conference, Guests will be able to select and book up to 2 DAS Advance selections for each day of their visit (subject to availability).

My question: 2 advance selections for the whole trip? Or per day? Will they have to be in the same park, or could I choose one from MK and one from HS on a different day?
Advanced DAS is 2 per day (subject to availability) that must be scheduled in advance. I think I read no changes, but I need to dig back through the info. Genie+ can be scheduled in different parks, but I don't think that was clear about Advanced DAS.

I must have misread but I didn’t think you could get any rides for free on the Genie. There are the ones you can get for the $15/day flat rate and the ones where you have to pay by individual ride. What can you get with just the Genie (for no cost)?

Both of those options use the lightning lane.
I think I’m struggling with the terminology. Do I have this right?

free genie = kind of like touring plans with tips and hints. Access to standby lines or the VQ lottery

genie+ = 15$/ day. Book a lightning pass one by one (like legacy FP or max pass). This gives a return time and then get in lightning lane (old FP lane).

tier 1 ala carte = dynamic pricing for super headliners: some may also have standby and some are VQ only. 2 per day. Also enter into lightning lane.

so new DAS - pre book 2 rides (likely genie + and not tier 1?) AND use app to book return times throughout day based on standby times (not the lightning/genie+ time?)

DAS Advance is a new, enhanced feature coming to the popular DAS program this fall. During the DAS Advance video conference, Guests will be able to select and book up to 2 DAS Advance selections for each day of their visit (subject to availability).
My bad. I missed that.

I think Disney needs to proof read and make everything consistent.
It says that in one place, but in another, it says this, which doesn’t explicitly say it’s for more than one day.

During your chat with a Cast Member, you’ll also have the opportunity to select up to 2 experiences per day (subject to availability) using our new DAS Advance planning option.

I know there were people who were getting multiple Fastpasses along with DAS. Since Fastpass is going away, those will be going away.
Some of those people wrote about them on different social media and some who sued Disney because they wanted immediate access included talking about them in their deposition. They called them ‘accommodations”

I agree. It sounds like the DAS Advance Selections are a bonus for doing the video conference.
I would interpret this:
Please keep in mind that DAS Advance selections must be booked at least 2 days prior to the day you plan to redeem them, and you will not be able to make selections on the day of your visit.
as - these are advance selections, so you need to make these at least 2 days in advance. The information says these DAS Advance selections have a 1 HOUR RETURN WINDOW - so they sound most similar to the way Fastpasses were prearranged. You would pick a day and a time frame AND if you can’t make it to the attraction in that 1 hour window, it would expire.
SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY could mean as simple they are not guaranteeing that the ride will be open (like if you say you want Small World, but it’s being renovated at the time you are at MK). It’s also not clear if attractions that are now using Boarding Groups would still be using them in some way and if that would make them ‘not available’ for DAS Advance selection.
It also says the DAS Advance selection is available for select attractions, so there may be certain high demand attractions that are NOT part of the select attractions.
The Advance Selections are separate from DAS Return Times from what’s written, so it sounds like you could have the Advance Selections along with a DAS Return Time (the website says guests using DAS can only have one active a return Time).

Also, keep in mind that there WERE guests using DAS who had negotiated/demanded things like extra Fastpasses for their party. These were meant to be a temporary ‘tool’ as people got used to DAS and using Fastpasses. But, as far as I know, there were still people getting them before the parks closed. Since Fastpass is going away, they would not get those.

That's exactly how I read it. We get two in advance if we do the video conference (like how you used to be able to set up the first DAS return of the day at City Hall or wherever instead of going to the attraction first...or was that only a Disneyland thing?) and then you can get more return times throughout the day via the app once you've used the first two.

I think Disney needs to proof read and make everything consistent.
It says that in one place, but in another, it says this, which doesn’t explicitly say it’s for more than one day.

During your chat with a Cast Member, you’ll also have the opportunity to select up to 2 experiences per day (subject to availability) using our new DAS Advance planning option.

I know there were people who were getting multiple Fastpasses along with DAS. Since Fastpass is going away, those will be going away.
Some of those people wrote about them on different social media and some who sued Disney because they wanted immediate access included talking about them in their deposition. They called them ‘accommodations”

Even that says « per day ». I don’t know how you’d interpret other than getting two for each day. If it was just for the first day, it would just say « you get two ».

Right. So, I don’t understand your comment (well, your agreement with the comment) that the two advance selections are just what everyone can get through Genie. There are no rides with just Genie.

No clue what you're talking about, lol. I never said anything like this?

Advanced DAS is 2 per day (subject to availability) that must be scheduled in advance. I think I read no changes, but I need to dig back through the info. Genie+ can be scheduled in different parks, but I don't think that was clear about Advanced DAS.

Well this changes everything, and definitely will help at least. I do wonder if "Tier 1" rides will be available.

I think almost everyone used FP+ in combination with DAS?

My guess is that the advance DAS rides will be the same tier 2 rides that one can get on Genie, not Genie+ Lightning Lane
Yes, I'm pretty sure I saw "select rides" in there somewhere.

Here it is. Starry said that the advanced DAS rides would be the ones you can get with Genie.

Your reply started with « yes …», so I assumed that you were agreeing with Starry.

And I was confused as there are no rides that one can get on Genie.

No clue what you're talking about, lol. I never said anything like this?

I agree it's really confusing.

Why did they offer the two "pre-book" rides with the DAS? This seems like an extra perk vs. just the old DAS. I just don't quite get why they'd do this vs. just giving the DAS that would work like the genie+. Why not just be able to book your first ride in the morning on the app like everyone else who has genie+?

Also what about people who live in Orlando and go often - is the DAS pre-booking just for hotel guests or can they arrange for them in advance anytime they plan to go to the parks?

Will the DAS work for those top tier 1 rides as well? Or maybe the tier 1 rides are all virtual que maybe like RoTR so you have to compete with other park guests for that spot unless you pay the extra money for the tier 1 pass?

I know we don't have answers to these questions...just interesting. I have managed the parks pretty well the past few years by using a FP for some medical issues I've developed (non-mobility related) but I guess now I'd consider asking for a DAS? :scared:

I agree it's really confusing.

Why did they offer the two "pre-book" rides with the DAS? This seems like an extra perk vs. just the old DAS. I just don't quite get why they'd do this vs. just giving the DAS that would work like the genie+. Why not just be able to book your first ride in the morning on the app like everyone else who has genie+?

Also what about people who live in Orlando and go often - is the DAS pre-booking just for hotel guests or can they arrange for them in advance anytime they plan to go to the parks?

Will the DAS work for those top tier 1 rides as well? Or maybe the tier 1 rides are all virtual que maybe like RoTR so you have to compete with other park guests for that spot unless you pay the extra money for the tier 1 pass?

I know we don't have answers to these questions...just interesting. I have managed the parks pretty well the past few years by using a FP for some medical issues I've developed (non-mobility related) but I guess now I'd consider asking for a DAS? :scared:

Probably b/c standby waits will skyrocket on all rides (b/c everyone is in Genie+), so the way to make sure DAS riders get close to similar # of rides as before Genie was to give 2 in advance...and that also puts a lot less strain on CS college interns and CS lines in the park...and more incentive for DAS holders to definitely come to their chosen park (for staffing level purposes, since DAS can take more staff)...

Probably b/c standby waits will skyrocket on all rides (b/c everyone is in Genie+), so the way to make sure DAS riders get close to similar # of rides as before Genie was to give 2 in advance...and that also puts a lot less strain on CS college interns and CS lines in the park...and more incentive for DAS holders to definitely come to their chosen park (for staffing level purposes, since DAS can take more staff)...
OK, but the idea of the DAS isn't supposed to be that it gives anyone a certain number of rides, it's to DAS holders to wait approximately the same amount of time as if they were in standby.

I’m thinking the advance video registration is just another obstacle to obtaining the DAS for many

Have lost count of hours into days I’ve spent trying to get thru to WDW re getting AP issues settled. How many people have that amount of time to spend attempting to set up a video conference? WDW isn’t generally acknowledged as an IT powerhouse. Remains to be seen how this functions.

the 50th is fast approaching. Many of us are heading down in less than 30 days. Seriously hope they don’t attempt to set up the process mid September. Just too many people will be trying to set things up before the kinks are worked out.

I also think the CMs by virtue of video, vs being mindful of having a long line at GS, will have the opportunity to possibly delve a bit more into the guest’s reasons for requesting the pass. This vs the generally rubber stamping of renewals most report now experiencing.

Happy thots
They quite specifically stated that doing so I optional, you can still go in person like it has always been.

OK, but the idea of the DAS isn't supposed to be that it gives anyone a certain number of rides, it's to DAS holders to wait approximately the same amount of time as if they were in standby.

Disney can always provide more to any select guest, they just can't provide less than that to a DAS holder. DAS only holders are taking a hit to park experience with this Genie change - that's obvious.

By enabling the advance reg, Disney saves themselves day-of issues while saving you in park time (and getting you back to what you might normally experience, and thus making you more happy than you would be with the change) - win/win in their book.

Disney can always provide more to any select guest, they just can't provide less than that to a DAS holder. DAS only holders are taking a hit to park experience with this Genie change - that's obvious.

By enabling the advance reg, Disney saves themselves day-of issues while saving you in park time (and getting you back to what you might normally experience, and thus making you more happy than you would be with the change) - win/win in their book.

Sure they can provide more, but when they do so, it incentivizes abuse, which is bad for DAS holders and non-DAS holders.

And I don't see how DAS holders are taking a hit at all - they're getting for free what everyone else has to pay at least $15/person per day for.

Sure they can provide more, but when they do so, it incentivizes abuse, which is bad for DAS holders and non-DAS holders.

And I don't see how DAS holders are taking a hit at all - they're getting for free what everyone else has to pay at least $15/person per day for.

It's unclear if DAS holders will have Genie + access or just access to "next wait time based on standby lines" in Genie...standby waits will be very high, so if it's the latter, you might get a return time for Small World for 60 minutes, and then you'd ride and get your next wait time for Peter Pan for 90 minutes away...etc, etc...starting with 2 gets a day "off right" before those experiences might get bogged down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter