• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS questions

AZMermaid

DIS Veteran
Hi! I will Be traveling with my family and my sister’s family in mid December right at the start of winter break. 9 people, 4 adults, 5 kids aged 7-12. Outside chance my mom and other sister may join us. My 8 year old nephew is a cancer survivor and also has Von Willenbrands syndrome which is similar to hemophilia. His iron levels are basically non-existent due to hours long nosebleeds most nights. He’s tiny. The size of a typical six year old. My 7 year old niece is also tiny but mighty- recently set the state record for a 6 year old 5k in just under 27 minutes. But she’s little. So. To my questions-

I think my nephew would qualify for a DAS because he tires very quickly. He’ll likely be in a stroller I believe there is a stroller as a wheelchair tag? But if the lines arent bad, he may be okay. But still, it will tire him out faster.

But- is there a 6 person limit to the DAS pass? We could send the kids alone at times right? But will they ask for proof of the little kids ages? They are legit 7 and 8, but again, small. Neither is even close to 48 inches, so those rides will be out anyway. My niece might not be 42. I guess we could send one adult with all the kids too…

Will we be better off getting genie for my family and letting my sister use DAS and trying to coordinate? Or is that a nightmare?

Does my sister need to call ahead of time? I think I read that somewhere. Fortunately I’ve never had to pay attention to DAS procedures before.

Any other tips for navigating DL with a DAS pass, especially with a large group? I suspect we will hang together till lunch and then he’ll hang in the room and rest and maybe go back out for a couple hours around dinner. We are staying in a 2 bedroom villa at Villas Grand Californian.

Thanks!

Generally speaking, DAS is not issued for stamina (tiredness) or mobility issues. It is issued for individuals who cannot wait in an attraction line.

DAS does not provide front-of-line access. It provides the ability to not wait in the attraction line for your turn.

There is a “ stroller as wheelchair” tag that is available at Guest Relations. The tag will permit the user to bring a stroller into attraction lines the same way a wheelchair can be. For some attractions, you may be directed to an alternative entrance.

Generally speaking, a DAS covers up to six individuals- the DAS holder and five others. A manager can override the limit.

Safe travels!

Thank you! Yes, I know it isn’t front of the line access nor am I hoping for that- just help making it a great trip for him- well and for all of us. I guess the stroller would work for that in most places? But how does that work on say Peter Pan? It doesn’t sound like all of us can ride together at the same time- since there’s no Genie to line up with the rest of the group? And the stroller wouldn’t fit I dont think? I’m really not trying to milk anything, just have a nice trip. My sister hasnt been to DL since before he got sick and they did got to WDW on his Wish trip, but that was 4 years ago now and totally different as a wish family, plus the little ones were 3 and 4, so totally stroller age.

My 7 yo was asked his age every time to ride alone (and often twice - at the entrance and before boarding) but never asked for proof. Granted he's average height, but the restriction for riding alone is about having the maturity to follow ride rules and to follow CM instructions in case of an emergency, not about being a certain size. CMs get pretty good at gauging age from behavior and how kids respond when asked their age.

Thank you! Yes, I know it isn’t front of the line access nor am I hoping for that- just help making it a great trip for him- well and for all of us. I guess the stroller would work for that in most places? But how does that work on say Peter Pan? It doesn’t sound like all of us can ride together at the same time- since there’s no Genie to line up with the rest of the group? And the stroller wouldn’t fit I dont think? I’m really not trying to milk anything, just have a nice trip. My sister hasnt been to DL since before he got sick and they did got to WDW on his Wish trip, but that was 4 years ago now and totally different as a wish family, plus the little ones were 3 and 4, so totally stroller age.
With a wheelchair/stroller used as a mobility device, you go to the exit of non-accessible rides and get a return time. When it’s time, you will return to the exit of the line and enter through the exit.

Your nephew may or may not be issued a DAS. They generally are not issued for mobility reasons, however, stamina is a different story. If waiting in the line itself is overstimulating and will cause your nephew to tire more quickly, they may issue a DAS for this reason.

Generally speaking, DAS is not issued for stamina (tiredness) or mobility issues. It is issued for individuals who cannot wait in an attraction line.

DAS does not provide front-of-line access. It provides the ability to not wait in the attraction line for your turn.

There is a “ stroller as wheelchair” tag that is available at Guest Relations. The tag will permit the user to bring a stroller into attraction lines the same way a wheelchair can be. For some attractions, you may be directed to an alternative entrance.

Generally speaking, a DAS covers up to six individuals- the DAS holder and five others. A manager can override the limit.

Safe travels!
My apologies for reviving this. I recently had to set up DAS. We have a party of 7. The original approving agent said it was a limit of six but the on site cast member could allow one more at. His or her discretion. Then when we went to make the preselection the agent said we had been authorized for 7. Any idea if that will translate into 7 for in park day of reservations or was that specifically just for preregistration?

FWIW we've never been held to the limit of 6. In the old days, CM acted like they were letting us slide by letting us all stay together. In the past few years, most CM act like they've never heard of a limit. (I've had up to 11)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter