DCL Onboard Restricted Items Policy Updates: Decorations, Ducks and Ashes and More

I hadn't cruised in a number of years and when I was getting ready for the cruise last year I saw all kinds of posts talking about fish extenders, ducks, door magnets, dressing up for Pirate night. I just thought that ducks were one of the extras that DCL cruisers did. I don't think it's fair to equate people who spend time, money and effort wanting to enhance the cruise for themselves or others to someone dumping garbage in a common area. There was no indication that it wasn't allowed or even encouraged. I understand being annoyed with someone who now knows the rules and blatantly ignores them but most folks are just trying to have innocent fun.

I just meant that for so many people it's just a part of cruising that they might not even think that it could be problematic
My first cruise was in 1984. No ducks were part of that.
My first DCL cruise was 2013. No ducks were a part of that. I've since been on HAL, Royal, fathom, Celebrity, and more Disney and only on the last Celebrity for this past summer did I ever see ducks discussed.

I guess if people have only cruised Carnival and NCL (the main 2 I've heard of the ducks on) since they started doing ducks it might be "a part of cruising" but I don't think it's that much a part as you might think.

While I understand folks wanting DCL to put out official notification -- this "prohibited ducks" thing really kind of falls into a category by itself. Other items on the Prohibited List are either illegal or dangerous/potentially dangerous. The problem with ducks is more behavioral rather than the ducks themselves. It gets to be a slippery slope when posting rules about actual behavior. Some level of behavior should be expected without stating it. DCL doesn't officially send out rules or post on their website rules that say don't climb on railings, don't climb on furniture, don't slide down the bannister, don't open doors marked "staff only" or "authorized personnel only", don't run in the halls, don't sing in the stateroom hallways at 2am, no fighting/hitting/etc., don't exit the ship without clothing, etc. Some of those things, particularly safety-related, may be posted once onboard. But not everything. I don't think any of us want to receive a laundry list of "don't do..."

I fully agree that DCL needs to take a strong stance and back up their own CMs enforcing any rules. That is a widespread "Disney" issue.
The difference is that the ducks (or other items) have to be brought purposely onboard where the other items you listed are behavioral. DCL can add a statement about not hiding items around the ship. What I and others have seen in our cruise groups is some people don't care and will bring them anyway because it's only "discouraged" (this is the word being used).

My first cruise was in 1984. No ducks were part of that.
My first DCL cruise was 2013. No ducks were a part of that. I've since been on HAL, Royal, fathom, Celebrity, and more Disney and only on the last Celebrity for this past summer did I ever see ducks discussed.

I guess if people have only cruised Carnival and NCL (the main 2 I've heard of the ducks on) since they started doing ducks it might be "a part of cruising" but I don't think it's that much a part as you might think.
Right; I had already clarified that maybe "ingrained" wasn't the right word. And no, I don't think it's a huge part of cruising overall, but from what I've observed for the subset of people that it is a part of cruising, it is (or can be) a big part.

My comments was mostly trying to point out that unless people are part of certain forums/social media groups/etc., they may not ever even think that there could be an issue with hiding ducks onboard. For them, it's such a normal part of cruising that it wouldn't occur to them that things might change. So they may bring ducks not knowing any better and then find out onboard (or, not find out, since right the policy seems subject to CM enforcement, which is inconsistent at the moment). So how would these people even find out? (Please note this is different from the people who have heard about this and are deciding to brink ducks anyway). That's the only point I was trying to make is that some people might unknowingly break the rule because they think it's normal and DCL as of yet hasn't publicly shared anything to the contrary.

The difference is that the ducks (or other items) have to be brought purposely onboard where the other items you listed are behavioral. DCL can add a statement about not hiding items around the ship. What I and others have seen in our cruise groups is some people don't care and will bring them anyway because it's only "discouraged" (this is the word being used).
Also they increased in popularity when some people realized you could monetize them and then they promote them in cruise meet up groups. And as these people then control the information in cruise groups, and joining a cruise group recommended by every single blogger and vlogger and every place new cruisers turn to for information, it makes it seem like cruise ducks are a big part of being on a cruise.

Just off the Disney Magic. Many folks mentioned on a cruise group for our sailing their plans to bring ducks but to be honest we didn't see many. I think each daughter found one while out and about. That was over 6 nights.

Also no hoards of folks tearing up the ship looking for them. Nor kids running up and down stairs looking for ducks. I'd say for the most part everyone was all smiles and polite, having a good time.

Agree with this completely. I hate buying a new bucket each cruise. It's a big plastic waste.
I wish they'd add an RFID chip to the popcorn buckets and you scan it, pay for its use, then get it refilled. Disney could charge a person for the bucket reuse then for refills, but it would help cut down on the plastic to be able to reuse the bucket. I feel the same about resort refillable mugs.

I wish they'd add an RFID chip to the popcorn buckets and you scan it, pay for its use, then get it refilled. Disney could charge a person for the bucket reuse then for refills, but it would help cut down on the plastic to be able to reuse the bucket. I feel the same about resort refillable mugs.
UGH. So many useless mugs in my basement.

This was recently updated onboard but not on the website yet, following shoreside visits to various ships so your mileage may vary depending on the crew members and their managers if they’ve been trained on the updates:

• Popcorn buckets and Beer Mugs purchased on previous cruises may be brought onboard. However, they may not be refilled.

• Guests are welcome to place magnetic signs on their stateroom doors with the exception of Concierge Guests on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.
    • Guests are prohibited from affixing any magnetic signs that carry any other company name than Disney

• A Guest may bring rubber ducks onboard. However, pool toys (e.g., rubber ducks) cannot be used in the pools.

Note: Guests cannot hide things, such as rubber ducks, in staterooms or public areas.

• A Piggyback Rider or similar child carrier may be brought onboard the ship; however, it cannot be used onboard.

In ports of call, it would be the Guests' discretion to use it.

• Gaming units such as Playstation®, Xbox and Nintendo that require TV connection cannot be brought onboard the ships. Virtual Reality (VR) headsets or similar video game consoles are also prohibited.

These devices are not compatible with, and cannot be connected to, stateroom televisions.
  • Guests may bring store bought collapsible lightsabers onboard.

Guests should refrain from bringing homemade lightsabers onboard, as they may experience disappointment and delay in boarding.

Any items allowed onboard are up to the discretion of the security team.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Lightsabers:
    • Lightsabers built at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge are not collapsible and, therefore, may not be brought onboard.
    • Guests should be encouraged to inquire about shipping services through Walt Disney World when purchasing the lightsaber, or make other arrangements.

• Disney Cruise Line regrets that the Crew Members onboard are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items. As Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.

• Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices may not brought onboard.

WHY no Samsung Galaxy Note7?

• Hair-dryers, curling irons and flat irons may be brought onboard as long as they support the ship's electrical system.

*The ship's electrical systems are not able to support Dyson or Shark products, therefore, Dyson and Shark products may not be brought onboard.

• Guests who request to bring an urn of their loved ones ashes on the ship may do so. Make sure the Guest is aware there are no provisions to accommodate burial or ash disposition at sea onboard the Disney Cruise Line vessels or at Disney Castaway Cay. Please advise the Guest that the ashes cannot be released at sea or at Disney Castaway Cay.

WHY no Samsung Galaxy Note7?

They have been recalled because they are can overheat and catch fire: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/Samsung-Recalls-Galaxy-Note7-Smartphones . They are also banned by the the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and the Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration from being taken aboard any aircraft, even if powered off (mid-October 2016). Canada, Europe, and many Asian governments also banned them from aircraft. Numerous cruise lines, including Disney, had banned their use on board by the beginning of October 2016.

Sorry but this is a relatively new behavior, it's not so deeply ingrained that it can't be unlearned. It's not decades old tradition. Today's adults didn't grow up hiding ducks.
The first time I ever heard about ducks being hidden on cruise ships was a cruise vlogger we watch. We saw a vlog that they posted about 1.5 ago where they found one on a Princess cruise and he explained about the whole thing being something that people did on cruises. My comment to DH at that time was, well, that's not a thing on Disney. Fast forward to January 2023 (our first cruise since Feb 2020), and we found three ducks on a four-day cruise. That's the first time I'd ever experienced that on DCL, and I would have been all at sea (pun sort of intended) if I hadn't seen that vlog and heard that this was apparently a common thing on other cruise lines.

On my cruise meet Facebook group an Admin deleted any and all comments I made that this is no longer allowed and has said she plans to continue to hide ducks until she's told in person by a crew member that she has to stop. When I asked why my comments were deleted she said it was because I was "repetitive." Make it make sense!

On my cruise meet Facebook group an Admin deleted any and all comments I made that this is no longer allowed and has said she plans to continue to hide ducks until she's told in person by a crew member that she has to stop. When I asked why my comments were deleted she said it was because I was "repetitive." Make it make sense!
Sadly, this is one reason that some people don't join groups on other sites. If one person is totally in charge of any group, they can make their own rules and delete what they don't agree with.

Please advise the Guest that the ashes cannot be released at sea or at Disney Castaway Cay.
And if you just happen to be standing next to the rail, holding the urn & deeply contemplating previous trips, when you are “startled” by a child running by— whoops! “Oh no! My loved ones ashes…<low-key wailing & gnashing of teeth ensues> 😉😉😉

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter