DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Well, gents, the sh*** it the fan. My boss has come to see me two days in a row after 4pm and I wasn't there. He sends me a text and this is the exchange:

Boss: "Steve, sorry to bother you but I went out to speak to you at 4:50 and you had left. So I'm wondering when did 730 to 4pm become your hours and who okayed that please?"
Me: "I switched after you left and no one approved it. Since my work deals with cycle counting I need to work the same hours as everyone else, so I switched."
Boss: "Steve, you do not have the authority to change your time without someone's approval so please report at 830 am and see me. Thanks."
Me: "Who's authority, Jim? You quit last week, remember? And the only reason you had me working 830 to 5pm was to work in the warehouse, which I no longer do. I'm inventory control, specifically cycle counting. Cycle counting works best when I work with everyone else, which is 730 to 4pm. "
Boss: "Steve, you still report to me. So please come see me in the morning."

So yeah, it hit the fan. I told the wife that I'm not planning on losing my job, she's concerned about that, but I did tell her that I'm fighting this one. I'm not worried about getting a lecture, he may even choose to write me up (as a temp, can I be written up? I don't care). The only thing I'm worried about, and it's because I mentioned it, is I'm afraid he might try and move me to the warehouse. If he does threaten me, he might not, he may just give me a lecture, but if he does, I'm going to say, "Ok, move me and I will go to the Dir. of Operations and tell him that I haven't done any of the cycle counting he hired me for because I've been working on your projects." and this would be the truth. I don't like to do that, but I'll be da**ed if I'm going to roll over and take it. Yeah, I know I shouldn't have don't that, but it makes no sense for me to work the hours I do and I'm fighting him on it. Besides, I no longer have any respect for him. He doesn't care about his job, he made that clear in a meeting he had with the department regarding re-racking of the warehouse when he said he didn't care what happens with the warehouse, that this is going through and he has to head it up. So if he doesn't care, neither do I. I'll fight him on it.

I'll keep everyone up to date as to what happens.

I think it's the rain vs. a standing body of water. My lab was terrified of the rain (well mostly the thunder), but didn't have a problem swimming at the lake or baths.

It is. My dog prefers to get in rather than have it fall on him. And my dog hates thunder, too.

:rotfl2: I'd love to see that conversation play out.

Well, he never asked about the E&O project, but he did ask about me switching my hours, and the you-know-what hit the fan. See above for the text messages. He wants to see me tomorrow morning, and I will of course go see him, and I will be cordial, but I will defend myself.

Surely this will end well.

I don't think so, or it may, depending on what direction you are looking at it. All I know is, I'm not doing my job and it's annoying me, and I will let him know tomorrow...in a nice way.

Morning Guys.

Another mild day here today, lots of rain yesterday making the rivers and streams pretty high this morning. It would have been a great day to do some waterfall photography but too much to do in the office.

we don't have a dog anymore but we do have a cat that can be a weird eater.

Isn't that always the case? Darn that work.

Brrrrrrrrr...

Hay y'all.
Hope every one is well.
Been MIA again while we are going through the nightmare of closing the books at work. It keeps me employed for the time being but wears me out to the point where I don't want to do anything once I get home.
(that and the holiday blues, but I doing a mite better on that front this so far)

Now back to my first comment.
Our heater failed the night before the holidays started. Meaning it was a couple of days before I could get someone out to look at it. Once they finally got here, the problem was "relatively" minor, but the parts needed to correct it had to be approved by the insurance folks and then ordered, so another couple days wait. Once approved, the parts would then take a couple more days to ship. Net result, we're without any heat for a bit more then a week now.

Guess when exactly the local weather decides to take its' first nose-dive since March...

It ain't anything like what a lot of y'all see, but for us temps are down in the middle 30s F overnight and the house - while well insulated - is now down to the mid 50s F. Blankets, sweaters and the gas-fireplace help, but like being at work, it's just tiring.

Well enough of my griping.
What's up with all y'all?

Sorry to hear, man...praying.

Well that was anticlimactic. I wanted stuff thrown!

Oh stuff was thrown, just take a look at the top of this post. More will happen tomorrow when I have to go the principals office and get a lecture, which will be the minimum of what happens...all cordially, of course.

Wow. I wonder just how bad the company needs this guy.

This place is run by idiots. They keep people that they should get rid of, and get rid of, or run off, people that they should keep. There's no rhyme or reason to their logic.

I get that. My dogs go... but they blame me for the weather.

My dog gives me that look when it's raining and he really has to go. And I'm like, "I can't control the weather, Buddy. It's either now or never."

Again I say: Burrrrr...
(but it beats the heck out of being one of the folks living in a tent city)

Ugh. Well, that's no fun. Do you have any old encyclopedias lying around you could toss in a trash can and burn up for heat? I remember when this happened to us I asked my wife if she really needed all of those Nicholas Sparks novels.
Brave sole...

A little while back I tossed out the set of encyclopedias that I'd had since I's a young'en or that might'a been a workable possibility. But then again, setting a dumpster fire inside the house might get me tossed out about as quick as suggesting that my Missus ought to burn something she'd been collecting over time.

(We both lucky that we married up, ya' know; best not to be working against that)

Up here if the furnace breaks down, the gas company will come out and check it for free. I suspect they get reimbursed by the govt or something
Yeah...
We've got a somewhat different type of governance down this way.

Actually I'm well off in that a general repair policy came with the house when we closed on it earlier this year. It's come in handy twice now. Just bad mojo that this time the weather is choosing to demonstrate it's rank indifference toward human triffles.

Well, gents, the sh*** it the fan. My boss has come to see me two days in a row after 4pm and I wasn't there.
Drama abounds...
May that not head too far south on you.

Why is it that no work place can just be - I don't know - just a decent place to work?

Oh, wait...
people are involved...
You'd think I'd have learned that by now.

This place is run by idiots.
The unwritten motto of nearly every business under the sun.
(and likely those orbiting other stars as well)

Happy Wednesday. The rum is gone, because I don't know a good drinking rum. The bourbon is almost gone.

Still retired. Once COVID restrictions are lifted, I am driving to a beach, and drinking. Maybe I can live in my truck parked somewhere near the beach and drink all day. My retirement check covers that. It's good to have goals. :lmao:

Now back to my first comment.
Our heater failed the night before the holidays started. Meaning it was a couple of days before I could get someone out to look at it. Once they finally got here, the problem was "relatively" minor, but the parts needed to correct it had to be approved by the insurance folks and then ordered, so another couple days wait. Once approved, the parts would then take a couple more days to ship. Net result, we're without any heat for a bit more then a week now.

Many moons ago, a transformer exploded during an ice storm. We stayed at the MiL's. I will freeze before staying at MiL's again.

Sorry to hear you were without heat. Hope it gets fixed soon.

So yeah, it hit the fan. I told the wife that I'm not planning on losing my job, she's concerned about that, but I did tell her that I'm fighting this one. I'm not worried about getting a lecture, he may even choose to write me up (as a temp, can I be written up? I don't care). The only thing I'm worried about, and it's because I mentioned it, is I'm afraid he might try and move me to the warehouse. If he does threaten me, he might not, he may just give me a lecture, but if he does, I'm going to say, "Ok, move me and I will go to the Dir. of Operations and tell him that I haven't done any of the cycle counting he hired me for because I've been working on your projects." and this would be the truth. I don't like to do that, but I'll be da**ed if I'm going to roll over and take it. Yeah, I know I shouldn't have don't that, but it makes no sense for me to work the hours I do and I'm fighting him on it. Besides, I no longer have any respect for him. He doesn't care about his job, he made that clear in a meeting he had with the department regarding re-racking of the warehouse when he said he didn't care what happens with the warehouse, that this is going through and he has to head it up. So if he doesn't care, neither do I. I'll fight him on it.

Funny how some people are bulletproof? Perhaps it is sad. No words of wisdom from me other than good luck, and drink more bourbon.

Well, gents, the sh*** it the fan. My boss has come to see me two days in a row after 4pm and I wasn't there. He sends me a text and this is the exchange:

Boss: "Steve, sorry to bother you but I went out to speak to you at 4:50 and you had left. So I'm wondering when did 730 to 4pm become your hours and who okayed that please?"
Me: "I switched after you left and no one approved it. Since my work deals with cycle counting I need to work the same hours as everyone else, so I switched."
Boss: "Steve, you do not have the authority to change your time without someone's approval so please report at 830 am and see me. Thanks."
Me: "Who's authority, Jim? You quit last week, remember? And the only reason you had me working 830 to 5pm was to work in the warehouse, which I no longer do. I'm inventory control, specifically cycle counting. Cycle counting works best when I work with everyone else, which is 730 to 4pm. "
Boss: "Steve, you still report to me. So please come see me in the morning."

I'll keep everyone up to date as to what happens.
Well... that escalated.
Might I suggest that before meeting him, you go above his head and explain your position? Find out if the higher, higher ups want you working a certain set of hours and what they want you to be doing.
That way if your boss says "I want you back on 8:30-5" you can say "Sorry. _____ wants me on these hours."
You'll possibly get "Well I want you on 8:30-5". Tell him you need it in writing.

The only fly in your ointment that I see is that you self-changed your hours. But if you can get higher up authority, it'll help...

Wanna story?

A few years ago, our supervisor left for an extended management training experience. He was gone for about one year. In that time, I was asked to step in. No one else knew the job. I knew that too. I said "Yes", but on the condition that I set my own hours. If I wanted to come in early or late was up to me. It was agreed, as long as the work got done.
Fast forward 5-6 months. The manager that put me in that position had moved to a different department and a new manager moved in. This guy, unlike the last guy, was a domineering jerk. One day, he called me into his office and said "From now on, you're going to work from 6:45-2:45. That way you can be here at the end of the night shift and the beginning of the evening shift in case the staff has issues."
It was a pure power play. The staff get along fine without the supervisor. i.e. they can do their jobs.

I said. "No. I'm not going to do that."
Poor guy was so shocked he almost fell over.
"What do you mean?" He asked.
"When your predecessor asked me to do this job." I replied. "I took it on condition that I pick my own hours. That was what I agreed to, to take the job. If you want someone here those hours, you can get someone else to do it, because I won't."

Poor sot was flabbergasted. I walked away. Most fun I ever had at work.

This place is run by idiots. They keep people that they should get rid of, and get rid of, or run off, people that they should keep. There's no rhyme or reason to their logic.
I believe that is every business's core statement.
My dog gives me that look when it's raining and he really has to go. And I'm like, "I can't control the weather, Buddy. It's either now or never."
::yes::
We've got a somewhat different type of governance down this way.
Oh? Hadn't noticed...

:rolleyes1
Actually I'm well off in that a general repair policy came with the house when we closed on it earlier this year. It's come in handy twice now.
Nice! Good move if that was your doing.
Once COVID restrictions are lifted, I am driving to a beach, and drinking.
This sounds like a well thought out plan.

Morning, Gents! Well, you all can see what has transpired between me and my boss a couple of posts up. As a result of this exchange, I thought I was going to have a restless nights sleep. It was actually one of the best night sleep I had in a while. As for the meeting I'm going to have at 8:30 am? We'll see what happens. My DW kept telling me last night to not say anything that'll get me fired. I'm not stupid, I'll keep my cool. I've learned from too many attorneys how to deal with an opposing side, and losing your cool and yelling is not a good way to go. Speak softly and with facts, that's the way I'll take it. I'll admit my mistake of changing hours without approval, but everything else I stated were facts. Now, as for what might happen? I'm not worried, this is my first transgression with this guy, so he'll either lecture me at most and/or choose to write me up for changing hours without approval. As for my job, well...I'm not worried. December is a very busy time of the year at work, so he really needs me. On top of the usual year end push for numbers, this year its the highest ever, they are re-racking the warehouse so they need all the hands they can get to clean the warehouse out. Now, he may not fight to keep me at the end of the year, but that's when I skip him and go straight to the Dir. of Operations, who likes me. So we'll see. Either way I'm back to looking for work as a just-in-case measure.

Again I say: Burrrrr...
(but it beats the heck out of being one of the folks living in a tent city)

It's still a bit warm here, but I think we're due for the cold snap soon.

Drama abounds...
May that not head too far south on you.

Drama does abound...
I don't think it will. He'll lecture me, for sure, and may even choose to write me up, not sure he will because I've worked my tail off for him, and this is my first transgression with him, but heading too far south? Eh! (shrugs shoulders) And if he does choose to write me up, then I'll go full force in finding a new job...kind of already done that, but I'll put more effort into it.

Why is it that no work place can just be - I don't know - just a decent place to work?

Oh, wait...
people are involved...

You'd think I'd have learned that by now.

The unwritten motto of nearly every business under the sun.
(and likely those orbiting other stars as well)

:thumbsup2

Happy Wednesday. The rum is gone, because I don't know a good drinking rum. The bourbon is almost gone.

"Why is the rum always gone?" (in my best Jack Sparrow impersonation)

Still retired. Once COVID restrictions are lifted, I am driving to a beach, and drinking. Maybe I can live in my truck parked somewhere near the beach and drink all day. My retirement check covers that. It's good to have goals. :lmao:

And that's a good goal to have.

Funny how some people are bulletproof? Perhaps it is sad. No words of wisdom from me other than good luck, and drink more bourbon.

It is funny how some people are bulletproof. I'm hoping that because I've worked my tail off for him, and that this is my first transgression with him, he'll go easy on me. If he chooses to write me up, then I'll go full force into looking for new work.

Well... that escalated.
Might I suggest that before meeting him, you go above his head and explain your position? Find out if the higher, higher ups want you working a certain set of hours and what they want you to be doing.
That way if your boss says "I want you back on 8:30-5" you can say "Sorry. _____ wants me on these hours."
You'll possibly get "Well I want you on 8:30-5". Tell him you need it in writing.

Yes it did, and maybe I shouldn't have said, "Who's authority, Jim? You quit last week, remember?" or maybe I should have said it differently, but everything I said was fact. I like your idea of going over his head to his boss, but I'm going to have to think about that one., I don't want to upset the apple cart too much. And I will admit to your next point. ⬇

The only fly in your ointment that I see is that you self-changed your hours. But if you can get higher up authority, it'll help...

I will always admit my mistakes, and will admit this to him (I'm going into this meeting with the idea of defusing it rather than escalating it), but what I said was true, it is easier for me to do my job when everyone else is at work. I'll state that and see where it goes.

Wanna story?

A few years ago, our supervisor left for an extended management training experience. He was gone for about one year. In that time, I was asked to step in. No one else knew the job. I knew that too. I said "Yes", but on the condition that I set my own hours. If I wanted to come in early or late was up to me. It was agreed, as long as the work got done.
Fast forward 5-6 months. The manager that put me in that position had moved to a different department and a new manager moved in. This guy, unlike the last guy, was a domineering jerk. One day, he called me into his office and said "From now on, you're going to work from 6:45-2:45. That way you can be here at the end of the night shift and the beginning of the evening shift in case the staff has issues."
It was a pure power play. The staff get along fine without the supervisor. i.e. they can do their jobs.

I said. "No. I'm not going to do that."
Poor guy was so shocked he almost fell over.
"What do you mean?" He asked.
"When your predecessor asked me to do this job." I replied. "I took it on condition that I pick my own hours. That was what I agreed to, to take the job. If you want someone here those hours, you can get someone else to do it, because I won't."

Poor sot was flabbergasted. I walked away. Most fun I ever had at work.

That's such an awesome story. I'd love to be able to do that to someone one day.

I believe that is every business's core statement.

It's gotta be.

Last edited:
My DW and I were talking just now, and we both realized that I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have to answer to my immediate boss, but I was also hired to perform cycle counting for the director of operations...which I've not done. And while the Dir. of Operations didn't hire me directly, he did tell my boss, "Get Steve back!" so in a round about way, he did hire me. So, at some point I am going to have to go and talk with the Dir. of Operations and tell him what's been going on. I may not mention the shift in hours, but I am going to have to tell him that in the two months I've been back I've not come close to finishing his project. Even my DW agrees with me...and that doesn't happen very often.

Morning Guys.

Starting to cool off up here, around the freezing mark now, should get up to 40 or so later. Rain two days ago caused some bad flooding in parts of the province and some people have been forced out of their homes. That sucks anytime but even worse just a few weeks before Christmas.

Hosting our annual sport awards tonight, virtually. Hope this technology stuff works.

Hope your meetings go well and your furnaces get fixed soon. Have a good one all.

Morning, Gents! Well, the meeting got pushed to later this morning. This tells me either he's really busy or is preparing a formal write-up. If he that's fine, I won't be here long. I did take pkondz's advice and talked to his boss, but I suspect that was a mistake. He just told me that he can't say anything until we know what my boss is going to say. And now that I think about it, I don't the Dir. of Operations will do anything anyways, so I think I wasted that card. Oh well...I'll deal with it as it comes. Now off to work.

Morning Guys.

Starting to cool off up here, around the freezing mark now, should get up to 40 or so later. Rain two days ago caused some bad flooding in parts of the province and some people have been forced out of their homes. That sucks anytime but even worse just a few weeks before Christmas.

Sorry to hear about the flooding. Did you get any flooding at your house?

Hosting our annual sport awards tonight, virtually. Hope this technology stuff works.

May the technology stuff work for you.

Afternoon all.
So, @CapeCodTenor ... how did the meeting go?

I'm back on the market....which honestly surprised me. I seriously thought they would have kept me through the holidays. This is what happened: I was told that what I did was not the main reason I was being let go, but it was a small part, and that there were other transgressions that had been made by me that added up to me being let go. I thought to myself, "Really, because this is the first I've heard of this." but I let him continue. He then told me that what I did was wrong and that I had no authority to change my hours, which I admitted was a mistake. He also said that what happened last week which led him to quit was between him and the company and that I had no right to bring it up. I didn't mention it, but I thought to myself, "But you pitched a huge fit on the production floor, during a meeting, why can't I mention it? It's public at this point." But I let it pass. He then went on to say, "We also found problems with past E&O projects during the physical inventory where inventory was left that was supposed to have been thrown out." I then asked, "Why wasn't I told of this?" his response, "You weren't working here when we found the mistakes." I said, "I was here for inventory when you said you found the mistakes, so I ask again, why wasn't I told of this?" He couldn't answer my question and diverted his eyes. He also said, "People were mentioning how I wasn't getting my work done." I then said, "You mean like the cycle counting project I was supposed to have been working on but couldn't?" He didn't give an answer because he couldn't answer. So basically he was looking for an excuse to let me go, and my DW and DMiL both agree. Even a friend of mine, who's an HR type person, agreed that what I did, while wrong, didn't reach the level of letting someone go in any company she's ever worked for. She also said that it was a good thing you didn't argue with him because it would have been bad for me in the long run in looking for work. Unfortunately it's better to just keep your mouth shut sometimes. When I told my mom what happened she said, "People don't like having their mistakes thrown back in their faces." and it's true. He was mad and embarrassed of what he did and I reminded him of it. And while I'm a bit upset over this, I'm almost happy it happened. This opens me up to pursue other avenues, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's out there. I just wish it would have happened after the holidays. Oh well, onward and upward, right?

ETA:

My DMiL thinks that he's under pressure from work or an outside influence, or both, and that he may lose it at some point...and it could be. He has been looking dejected and beaten lately, and I'm not the only one to notice.

Last edited:
Evening All,

The first ever virtual Sport NB awards. We presented 10 of our awards and 3 aboriginal awards with only one glitch. The only downfall is we usually host a hospitality suite after and that isn't happening this year and that means I don't get the leftover liquor. :(

I'm back on the market....which honestly surprised me. I seriously thought they would have kept me through the holidays. This is what happened: I was told that what I did was not the main reason I was being let go, but it was a small part, and that there were other transgressions that had been made by me that added up to me being let go. I thought to myself, "Really, because this is the first I've heard of this." but I let him continue. He then told me that what I did was wrong and that I had no authority to change my hours, which I admitted was a mistake. He also said that what happened last week which led him to quit was between him and the company and that I had no right to bring it up. I didn't mention it, but I thought to myself, "But you pitched a huge fit on the production floor, during a meeting, why can't I mention it? It's public at this point." But I let it pass. He then went on to say, "We also found problems with past E&O projects during the physical inventory where inventory was left that was supposed to have been thrown out." I then asked, "Why wasn't I told of this?" his response, "You weren't working here when we found the mistakes." I said, "I was here for inventory when you said you found the mistakes, so I ask again, why wasn't I told of this?" He couldn't answer my question and diverted his eyes. He also said, "People were mentioning how I wasn't getting my work done." I then said, "You mean like the cycle counting project I was supposed to have been working on but couldn't?" He didn't give an answer because he couldn't answer. So basically he was looking for an excuse to let me go, and my DW and DMiL both agree. Even a friend of mine, who's an HR type person, agreed that what I did, while wrong, didn't reach the level of letting someone go in any company she's ever worked for. She also said that it was a good thing you didn't argue with him because it would have been bad for me in the long run in looking for work. Unfortunately it's better to just keep your mouth shut sometimes. When I told my mom what happened she said, "People don't like having their mistakes thrown back in their faces." and it's true. He was mad and embarrassed of what he did and I reminded him of it. And while I'm a bit upset over this, I'm almost happy it happened. This opens me up to pursue other avenues, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's out there. I just wish it would have happened after the holidays. Oh well, onward and upward, right?

That sucks Man, sorry to hear.

Last edited:
Evening All,

The first ever virtual Sport NB awards. We presented 10 7of our awards and 3 aboriginal awards with only one glitch. The only downfall is we usually host a hospitality suite after and that isn't happening this year and that means I don't get the leftover liquor. :(

Gives you something to look forward to next year.

Thanks, man. I've already contacted a recruiter, so I'm already on the prowl.

Evening All,

The first ever virtual Sport NB awards. We presented 10 7of our awards and 3 aboriginal awards with only one glitch. The only downfall is we usually host a hospitality suite after and that isn't happening this year and that means I don't get the leftover liquor. :(

I buy the liquor so I always err on the side of too much ;)
Hey I found this wheelbarrow, is it yours Darcy?

Darcy.jpg

ETA:

My DMiL thinks that he's under pressure from work or an outside influence, or both, and that he may lose it at some point...and it could be. He has been looking dejected and beaten lately, and I'm not the only one to notice.
Wow. Did not see that coming! Hope something better falls in your lap soon.

I buy the liquor so I always err on the side of too much ;)

Always err on the side of caution...good plan. :thumbsup2

Wow. Did not see that coming! Hope something better falls in your lap soon.

Neither did I, but I'm actually glad to be out of there, and I do mean that. I wish it would have happened differently, but I am glad to be out. This offers me an opportunity to pursue what I really want, and that's to get into the medical field. Now, I may wind up having to take a season job, which I will most likely do for the income, but I'm going all in on finding a job I really want. I will miss everyone I worked with, but I'm not sad to be gone from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter