DDP or TiW? Which is better option for DVC members?

Gisclair Disney

Earning My Ears
We are DVC members planning a trip to WDW in summer 2018. I'm trying to decide whether or not DDP is worth the money, and I just learned about the TiW Card. My husband and son insist on 3 meals a day, we enjoy character dining, as well as places like California Grille (higher end restaurants).
Any thoughts from anyone with experience using TiW card and/or DVC dining discounts v/s DDP?

The DVC discounts have been great this year and have been extended to almost the end of 2017. We can assume there will be more discounts announced for 2018, but the percentage and the participating restaurant list could change. These discounts generally cover a discount for up to 5 people, and do not cover alcohol.

We don’t usually get the DDP, because we order what we order, and sometimes we don’t want all three courses. For people that always order appetizer, entree and dessert, the DDP can be a good deal.

In the past, we have purchased the TIW, but did not this past year, because the DDP and AP discounts were so good. TIW covers 20% for parties up to 8, including alcohol. In the past, they have covered valet parking, but I have not checked recently. But to break even, you must first save enough to cover the $150 fee. It is hard to break even when you already get a good discount with the AP or DVC.

There is a good chart that explains the differences. You can then run the numbers for how you would use it. http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

The dining plan is not a discount. In fact, it’s often more expensive than just paying cash. Your decision should probably be between using the TiW or just using the DVC dining discount.

We are DVC members planning a trip to WDW in summer 2018. I'm trying to decide whether or not DDP is worth the money, and I just learned about the TiW Card. My husband and son insist on 3 meals a day, we enjoy character dining, as well as places like California Grille (higher end restaurants).
Any thoughts from anyone with experience using TiW card and/or DVC dining discounts v/s DDP?
Often neither is best but it depends. You should do the math but as you've described it and assuming most of those meals are table service, the Dlx plan may work for you. If you want a few counter service, just pay OOP and use those extra credits for the 2 credit options like Cali Grill.

The DVC discounts have been great this year and have been extended to almost the end of 2017. We can assume there will be more discounts announced for 2018, but the percentage and the participating restaurant list could change. These discounts generally cover a discount for up to 5 people, and do not cover alcohol.

We don’t usually get the DDP, because we order what we order, and sometimes we don’t want all three courses. For people that always order appetizer, entree and dessert, the DDP can be a good deal.

In the past, we have purchased the TIW, but did not this past year, because the DDP and AP discounts were so good. TIW covers 20% for parties up to 8, including alcohol. In the past, they have covered valet parking, but I have not checked recently. But to break even, you must first save enough to cover the $150 fee. It is hard to break even when you already get a good discount with the AP or DVC.

There is a good chart that explains the differences. You can then run the numbers for how you would use it. http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

Thanks for the chart!! What is "AP"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter