Debt Dumpers - 2017

I wish I could DH on board with Swagbucks! He won't do it :crazy2: He does do some side things like mystery shops and whatnot, but I use Swagbucks diligently to put money in our Disney fund. Really excited to see this Swagbucks announcement tomorrow since it looks like they're adding Disney gift cards...

DH won't do Swagbucks either. But at one point I tried to get him to do it, so I referred him with my account. After he stopped (within a few days), I decided to keep swagging from his account instead of mine. That way, all the activity I did would give a 10% bonus on my own account and earn more $ overall. Now I get to take surveys as a 28 year old male Asian computer programmer, which I think sometimes gets me qualified for more interesting surveys than what I would qualify for on my own. This weekend I got to take a survey about Telltale Game's upcoming Walking Dead: Season 3 game. It was actually pretty fun.

DH won't do Swagbucks either. But at one point I tried to get him to do it, so I referred him with my account. After he stopped (within a few days), I decided to keep swagging from his account instead of mine. That way, all the activity I did would give a 10% bonus on my own account and earn more $ overall. Now I get to take surveys as a 28 year old male Asian computer programmer, which I think sometimes gets me qualified for more interesting surveys than what I would qualify for on my own. This weekend I got to take a survey about Telltale Game's upcoming Walking Dead: Season 3 game. It was actually pretty fun.

Have you ever gotten in trouble for doing it off the same computer or IP address or anything? I'm thinking maybe I could do that since I mostly swag at work, and then I could go home and do a couple things on "his" account on my home computer.

Have you ever gotten in trouble for doing it off the same computer or IP address or anything? I'm thinking maybe I could do that since I mostly swag at work, and then I could go home and do a couple things on "his" account on my home computer.

I pretty much swag from his account almost exclusively. Sometimes I will do some of the big shop offers on both accounts, but it is pretty rare. I mostly just log into "my" account to cash out. I have never had any problems with it. But I guess there is always a risk, right? I always cash out every $25 just in case.

ETA: And you are allowed to have more than 1 account per household. It is per person, which if we ever needed to verify, we could.

DH just had his third paycheck of the month deposited into our checking account. I took the entire sum and paid it towards my auto loan. The car will now be paid in full by the beginning of December! Pretty excited to see that bill gone completely.

And since DH just had his 1 year work anniversary, this paycheck included a 10% retirement match from the university! This will make a big difference in our overall retirement savings going forward and we should start seeing some big increases in our retirement account balances over the next year.

This past month has been good for the most part. We finished getting everything we needed from our baby registries and should be in good shape there. We have decided to shift some of the baby fund savings for the next few months into an "immigration" fund to cover DH's conditional green card removal application that we will file the beginning of December. That will cost $680, so $340 out of the $500 will go towards that over the next two months. DH didn't want to shift all of the money over. He is worried about some unexpected baby expenses popping up over the next few months. We will need another $750 for his citizenship application, but after doing some research, it turns out that he won't be able to file for that until Feb. 2019. We have decided not to worry about that right now and will probably just allocate part of one of his extra paychecks next year towards that expense.

We did end up eating out a little more than planned this month, but I moved some money around to cover the expense. We also went a bit over on our grocery budget, mostly because we were running low on some more expensive items like chicken, fish and lamb. We just borrowed forward on our budget and since we buy those items in bulk, our budget for next month should hopefully be a bit lower to compensate.

It is now just 15 days until my due date. I still have 3 projects to wrap up at work, so hoping that baby will sit tight for another week at least! I will be working through the weekend for sure and throughout all of next week. If baby decides to arrive too early, then I might have to do some work over my first few weeks of maternity leave. So stay put baby!

It is now just 15 days until my due date. I still have 3 projects to wrap up at work, so hoping that baby will sit tight for another week at least! I will be working through the weekend for sure and throughout all of next week. If baby decides to arrive too early, then I might have to do some work over my first few weeks of maternity leave. So stay put baby!

So exciting! I will be thinking of yours and baby's health in the coming weeks :cutie:

DH just had his third paycheck of the month deposited into our checking account. I took the entire sum and paid it towards my auto loan. The car will now be paid in full by the beginning of December! Pretty excited to see that bill gone completely.

And since DH just had his 1 year work anniversary, this paycheck included a 10% retirement match from the university! This will make a big difference in our overall retirement savings going forward and we should start seeing some big increases in our retirement account balances over the next year.

This past month has been good for the most part. We finished getting everything we needed from our baby registries and should be in good shape there. We have decided to shift some of the baby fund savings for the next few months into an "immigration" fund to cover DH's conditional green card removal application that we will file the beginning of December. That will cost $680, so $340 out of the $500 will go towards that over the next two months. DH didn't want to shift all of the money over. He is worried about some unexpected baby expenses popping up over the next few months. We will need another $750 for his citizenship application, but after doing some research, it turns out that he won't be able to file for that until Feb. 2019. We have decided not to worry about that right now and will probably just allocate part of one of his extra paychecks next year towards that expense.

We did end up eating out a little more than planned this month, but I moved some money around to cover the expense. We also went a bit over on our grocery budget, mostly because we were running low on some more expensive items like chicken, fish and lamb. We just borrowed forward on our budget and since we buy those items in bulk, our budget for next month should hopefully be a bit lower to compensate.

Lots of yays there for sure! Sit tight LO!

Just wondering if anyone here has a rental property? I'm wondering if next year when our mortgage comes up, we should look at maybe buying an apartment and renting it out? Build extra equity with someone else covering the mortgage? I wouldn't want to use cash as the down payment as we want to finish our basement, but I'm wondering if we can use the equity in our house...or part cash if we can swing it...

The kids want to go to Disney next summer, but I'm challenging them to figure out how to go for close to free. We can stay on points at the Swan, the rest will be up to them in terms of helping me do shopkicks and swagbucks. We will see how that goes. If it's not close to free, we aren't going.

So this changed quickly, Tuesday DS16 was offered a spot on the Quebec trip through school in Feb, DS15 wants to do the Japan trip through school in the summer of 2019, and DS21 was offered an internship from his college for a 6 month slot at a restaurant in France (the real France, not the World showcase France) so now I need to switch gears and figure this out. I'd much rather figure out how to pay for these instead of Disney. I love Disney, but we've been a lot and these are once in a lifetime opportunities for the boys so I'm going to figure out how to cash flow all of these. Thankfully the Japan trip is far away, that's $5000 plus spending money.

Last edited:
So this changed quickly, Tuesday DS16 was offered a spot on the Quebec trip through school in Feb, DS15 wants to do the Japan trip through school in the summer of 2019, and DS21 was offered an internship from his college for a 6 month slot at a restaurant in France (the real France, not the World showcase France) so now I need to switch gears and figure this out. I'd much rather figure out how to pay for these instead of Disney. I love Disney, but we've been a lot and these are once in a lifetime opportunities for the boys so I'm going to figure out hoe to cash flow all of these. Thankfully the Japan trip is far away, that's $5000 plus spending money.
One thing you can ALWAYS count on with kids is that PLANS CHANGE!!these trips are wonderful opportunities. Will any of them have fundraisers to help with the cost?

One thing you can ALWAYS count on with kids is that PLANS CHANGE!!these trips are wonderful opportunities. Will any of them have fundraisers to help with the cost?

No fundraising through the school, they will only pay for kids with a financial hardship. Since the 2 HS trips are from the foreign language classes and not clubs there really isn’t an opportunity to fundraise as a group.
I’m sure some of my family will donate but the boys will be for the most part working to earn the money.

Thankfully DS21 has a really good job and next to zero living expenses so he will just have to bank as much as he can between now and next summer. With 6 weeks off at Christmas he can probably make quite a bit and we will either cancel his car insurance or talk to the insurance company about very basic coverage since he won’t have his car.
DS16 will probably use birthday money and Christmas money but I’ll have to front him since the $600 is due before Christmas break.
I told DS15 he’s going to have to get a job. $5000 plus spending money is a lot of cash but we have 2 years to save so I think we can make it work.

I also told them if this is what they want, then Christmas will be extra light and their big gift will be passport renewals.

Me too. 15 days means it could literally be anytime now! Ds16 was 6 days before due date and DS14 was 10 days early.

I would probably be alright with 6 days early. But I really need next week to finish up this work. I am legitimately starting to freak out now.

Me too. 15 days means it could literally be anytime now! Ds16 was 6 days before due date and DS14 was 10 days early.

Mine were 14 days early and 11 days early. With my first I was packing my hospital bag while in labor and installing the car seat in the hospital parking lot. Lol.

Mine were 14 days early and 11 days early. With my first I was packing my hospital bag while in labor and installing the car seat in the hospital parking lot. Lol.
My one and only was 2 weeks early and delivered in 8 minutes. DH had to go home and pack things since we had nothing together. My doctor told me if I was going to have anymore, I better move closer else I would never make it to the hospital :)

I would probably be alright with 6 days early. But I really need next week to finish up this work. I am legitimately starting to freak out now.

Will be thinking of you! Sending *stay in there baby* thoughts to you for a few more days :flower1: My first was 10 days late, they had to go in and get her. Since she ended up being a csection I opted in the end to have a repeat c so my second was technically 10 days before my due date but I have a feeling she would have been late had we left her alone, too!:rolleyes1

All 4 of mine were late and had to be evicted. Hopefully, yours will stay put for a bit so you can finish your work projects ;).
Mine too. My doctor would only allow 14 days late max so by the time I was 10 days overdue, we started making plans to induce. Even then he wouldn't budge. Even with a C-section, he was wedged in so tight they had to use vacuum to help him out. I'm only 5'2" and he was 8 lb 14 oz so you can imagine what a tight fit it was in there.
I thought I'd get lucky with #2 but it was the same thing all over again except he was only 8-8 and they didn't need any vacuum.
At 20 & 17, they are still stubborn boys and when they don't want to go somewhere, they get their point across if it takes having to dig their heels in.
So between the 2 kids, I spent an extra month pregnant, incredibly uncomfortable, and moved with #1. Sold old place and bought the home we're in now while overdue. #2 seemed so easy by comparison: prepare a room, go to the hospital, and bring him home. :love1::cloud9:

Decisions Decisions decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I have gotten an update on medical............I must say my mom and dad had bad genes.
Both knees and in all three sections show arthritis.We discussed treatments and a 10 lb weight loss by Christmas for this.
Popliteal cyst rupture --sac remains-current size 3 cm--have to watch for cyst refilling.
Lower Disc grabbing sciatic nerve and peroneal nerve, both docs say no surgery right now ,hopefully time will heal. I am currently working 1/2 days and will be assessed again after Christmas.
I am trying out Yoga-(Chair Yoga).My goal here is to keep myself as physically/mentally well as I can ,,so as to enjoy life and also continue to work 1/2 days for the next 3 years.

I have decided to declare myself 1/2 time from fulltime
next Spring for the 2018/ 2019 school year.
I have a ton of questions for my association/Union before I do this.
I am mostly concerned about medical/dental coverage as I know that even 1/2 time employees can have it but it can be quite expensive,,currently I do not pay for it.

If anyone with back/Knee/leg issues have any physical activities that help them would you please share?
Is there any questions that come to your mind that I should be asking before giving up
my fulltime job and going to 1/2 time.?

Thanks for listening
Hugs Mel

Did you try physical therapy for your sciatic pain?
I have a herniated disc and back in 2012, I was putting a sock on and just felt a jolt down my leg and excruciating pain. My calf was twitching like it was possessed. Really freaky! I could barely walk and the pain was insane. Like someone had jammed a butcher knife in my left upper outer thigh/lower buttock. Excruciating. At its worst, I only got 3 hrs sleep one night and collapsed in bed at 6 pm delirious but still in too much pain to sleep. By 2am I went to our local ER for pain meds before I'd go insane from lack of sleep.
I was out of work for a week and my dr gave me steroids to reduce inflammation and muscle relaxers. I started PT 2x/week and that was the best thing ever. I went for prob 8-10 weeks and they kept changing it up as I progressed. I applied for FMLA and luckily I work in a hospital so I could take their last appt of the day and just walk over after my shift.
I work in a busy xray dept with lots of leaning, bending, squatting sometimes & lifting. There is no "light duty".
I also had some OT where they had a simulated washer/dryer and had me move like I was doing laundry to see how I bend, pick things up off the floor such as a dropped pen. They gave me all kinds of tips such as lifting the further back foot up off the ground to pick things up, the way a golfer retrieves his ball from the hole.

I was happy to be done with the $30/week in copays but even more happy to be pain free and have my normal life back.

Anyway, 5 years later, the stripe of complete numbness is still there from my hip down to, and including, my little toe. It's a strange sensation when I'm shaving my leg and go across the numb area.
I still work FT and if it starts acting up again I will get right back into PT again. They were so phenomenal, I hated to leave them and brought them a big bag of candy on my last visit. This was our own hospital's PT dept. (we're a regional spinal-cord injury center) not one of those chain-type outpatient centers like NovaCare. I used one of those once for my back several years ago after I fell and they were so pathetic. Unprofessional & lazy is the most Dis-friendly terminology I can use here.

Best wishes to you and hope you feel better soon!!
I know that sciatic pain is excruciating and though I'd consider myself a mentally strong person, this constant pain is enough to make me want to jump off a bridge. Not kidding. I would have done ANYTHING to get some relief & solid sleep.

Speaking of sleep, do try keeping a pillow under your knees while on your back or between your knees when on your side. It really does help!

Last edited:
As for our debt dumping, I have completely derailed. :guilty: :sad2:
I haven't accumulated any more debt but I haven't been so diligent in following The Plan. If I stuck to my budget, we would have had $5k ready for Christmas. ($1700 of that is a bonus that dh used to get right before Christmas and he would give me that in cash as my gift to go book a trip. His employer has since changed from a lump sum bonus every Dec to a pay increase spread over the year but dh still likes to give me that for Christmas since I like trips better than any material thing.)

So anyhoo, our London/Paris trip was awesome!!! All the hotels, tours & transfers we booked turned out great. Thanks TripAdvisor!!:thumbsup2
The food there was waaaaaay more expensive than I anticipated. Whew!! For 4 of us to have burgers at a casual table service restaurant was easily 114 GBP. 139 at the Hard Rock Café. At today's exchange rate that's $186+
Yikes! :faint: Why did I look that up? I was happier thinking it's like $$.

Anyway so we went over budget by a few hundred $$ for food. We didn't buy a ton of souvenirs so that was good.

Disneyland Paris was surprisingly a lot like our Disney World except smaller and service was not so magical. Some of their rides were way better than ours such as Small World has a globe shaped fountain with lovely gardens outside and a huge clock tower animated display. Every 15 mins it does this little thing where doors open up and little people from all over the world come out while the song plays. It's cute.
Also their Space Mtn is called Hyperspace Mtn and it shoots you out fast and goes upside down like our Aerosmith.

They also have LOTS of smokers, everywhere. No matter where you stand, someone's smoke is in your face. Ugh!
It's like going back to the 70's here. Also lots of line cutters due to very little supervision of FP lines. On Big Thunder Mtn people would hop the railing and get into the FP line and no one else checks for actual FPs except at the initial FP entrance. Another UGH moment.

The park itself is beautiful and loved our hotel, Newport Bay Club Resort. It was just remodeled and felt like our Yacht Club. Their club level lounge was awesome at breakfast, a massive buffet compared to WDW, with bacon, eggs, sausage, waffles, smoothies and all our usual offerings.

We saw lots of police presence in London but that paled compared to Paris which had HUGE military police with machine guns all over the city, and heavy presence at very touristy spots like Eiffel tower and Notre Dame. I never felt unsafe but really if we went 20 mins without seeing one, that was a long stretch.

At DLP, of course security was super tight also but no guns. The gate guard questioned our driver "who is in the vehicle", searched the trunk, not looking inside our bags. After being dropped off outside the lobby, security is set up to have all bags xrayed and we go through metal detectors before even entering the front doors. Once inside we all spread em' and get wanded down again. Wow.
The parks are about 15 min walk and all must pass through a mini version of DTD to reach the gates but first must go through another round of xraying bags and go through metal detectors. After a few times this became very routine. One could debate privacy vs security all day but I was truly glad they were doing all they could short of a cavity search so we could feel relaxed inside the parks. Without, DLP would be an easy target.

To further break my budget plans, right before leaving for our big trip, I stumbled onto flights from PHL to MCO for just $29 each way incl tax that coincided perfectly with some days off work. I think I'm pretty strong but you know that is my kryptonite! So we spent 3 nts at Yacht Club last week. We had a crazy late arrival, (flew after work) and stopped at the desk since they never texted our room assignment. Well what a shock, they upgraded us to a 2BR/3BA suite! omg, it starts off looking like a king room with a big screen tv, balcony, and the usual fridge/coffeemaker but it kept going on and on, such incredible space. A connecting door led to a full living room with another huge tv, prob 60" and double doors leading out to the hall way. Then another full bath, then a wet bar with another fridge & coffeemaker then a dining area for 4, then a huge master BR & bath! Yowza!! Then another balcony that overlooked Stormalong Bay, which I FINALLY got to swim in after every other visit being too cold to swim!

Too bad it was only 2.5 day vacation but it was really special and I teased dh that I will never be able to go back to slumming in a standard room after being so spoiled. lol.

So now we're back to hunkering down and I'll have all the Christmas $ saved by early November.

I was hoping to squeeze in one more visit before the Cirque show ends Dec 31. I have a Companion Pass with SWA thanks to their cc bonuses but I feel like I really need get a grip and stop splurging!
Like in Monsters Inc.: SMACK! - Keep it together Man!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter