Debt Dumpers - 2019

Once I pay off my car loan, I'll be paying back dh's slush fund for his half of the $8k we gave to ds18 for the car. That puts us around Feb/March next year. I know it sounds crazy but we gave ds22 $8k toward a car when he was a teen, so I feel it's only fair to do the same for both.

My parents bought each of us cars when we went off to college. My brother, the oldest, got a Toyota Corolla. I really, really wanted a VW Jetta but it cost more. So my parents told me that I could get it if I paid the difference in cost. I worked after school at Sylvan Learning Center my junior and senior year and saved up the extra $5k to get the Jetta. I loved that car so, so much and had it for just shy of 14 years. My brother didn't put any money into his car and actually totaled it a few years after he got it. When he graduated college he got a VW Jetta because he liked my car so much.

I'm coming totally clean here. Because I couldn't say it out loud to anyone yet.

I totally have an addictive personality when it comes to shopping. I'm still being really good. But today I forced myself to come face to face with some of my purchases. I have an office in my home that has basically been unusable for at least a year and a half. All because I started collecting Rae Dunn. Soon I had so much that I started piling it up there. Then I had so many bags from TJ and HG that you couldn't walk in the room. It was AWFUL. A few months ago, I started working on it. I returned what I could. I also sold a ton online. Today, my goal was to clean the rest of my office out.... and box up another "collection" Guatemalan bags. I cannot believe how many I have. Two large plastic tubs full plus another laundry bin. These are bags that I paid between 200-400 a piece for. I didn't count them. I may try to re-sell some of them, but honestly, it will be at a loss. I'm sick over how much money I have in bins. On the bright side though, my office is totally cleaned out and pristine. So, I accomplished that goal.

But, back to the Rae Dunn and bags. I seem to become obsessive when I find something I like. I probably have 15 pairs of Tieks. I haven't counted them, but I have a ton. Anything that I like, I want it all. This absolutely has to stop. If I added the thousands I have invested between Tieks and bags, I could probably fund an ABD.

So, the no buy was really a good thing for me. Being more aware every time I buy something is absolutely necessary in my case. I need to continue to not shop, and I need to figure out what I can resell and attempt to recoup some cash. I think if I start getting obsessed with anything material, I may post it here before allowing myself to buy more than one of anything. That way, I'm at least being accountable to myself. Thanks again to this group. I really am going in the right direction since joining.

They say the first step is recognizing it's a problem so it sounds like you are well on your way. I get the same way- all or nothing and can become oddly obsessive about the weirdest things. Once I became obsessed with the EOS chapsticks and had to buy every one of them....I don't even use chapstick except maybe once a year

They say the first step is recognizing it's a problem so it sounds like you are well on your way. I get the same way- all or nothing and can become oddly obsessive about the weirdest things. Once I became obsessed with the EOS chapsticks and had to buy every one of them....I don't even use chapstick except maybe once a year

As a quilter, I got really into new fabric releases and felt like if I didn't snap it up then I would be missing out. It wasn't as crazy as some other people that I know, but I definitely spent quite a bit of money on fabric. Once we converted my sewing room into DD's room, I haven't had access to my sewing machine and stopped buying any fabric at all. It has helped me to step back from it all and realize that a lot of my drive to buy certain things is related to hype and getting caught up in the feeling rather than genuinely loving it. Once the basement is finished and I have a sewing space again, I plan to be more selective and deliberate with my purchases.

As a quilter, I got really into new fabric releases and felt like if I didn't snap it up then I would be missing out. It wasn't as crazy as some other people that I know, but I definitely spent quite a bit of money on fabric. Once we converted my sewing room into DD's room, I haven't had access to my sewing machine and stopped buying any fabric at all. It has helped me to step back from it all and realize that a lot of my drive to buy certain things is related to hype and getting caught up in the feeling rather than genuinely loving it. Once the basement is finished and I have a sewing space again, I plan to be more selective and deliberate with my purchases.

My boss is a quilter and it's CRAZY how much fabric she buys. She found out the quilting shop near our work is going out of business and went over there at lunch yesterday. She came back afterwards and told me not to let her get any Starbucks for the rest of the year since she just spent all her money on fabric lol.

I'm the opposite of whatever an impulse buyer is. I will spend years debating to buy an item. Been looking at WDW spirit jerseys since August 2017. Still haven't bought one lol.

I do buy a lot of books, but usually from Goodwill or 2nd and Charles where they're used and discounted.

Once the basement is finished and I have a sewing space again, I plan to be more selective and deliberate with my purchases.
I had to do this with craft supplies. I have trouble going into craft stores and finding little baubles or ribbon on clearance, or in the dollar bins. I am also really bad about keeping tons of little odds and ends ie ribbon off a little gift so a few months back I went though everything, pulled out all the random foam stickers and pipe cleaners and Popsicle sticks and ribbon, things that I'll never use again (bought for a specific purpose or back when I was babysitting a lot in high school/college, sometimes I'd do crafts with the kids) and also all the extra tissue and crepe paper and things from making my wedding bouquet and boxed it all up and mailed it to my friend to who is a pre school teacher. Those kids love random art supplies :thumbsup2 Right now I'm currently focused on catching up my scrapbooking. I'm behind plus want to finally do our wedding scrapbook, and DH built me an amazing craft desk for Christmas. Now I just need a new chair because it's taller than the plywood on two shelves I was using as a desk :rolleyes: and it's too tall for your typical office chair, so mine doesn't work anymore.

I also have some yarn I need to sit down and make things with. A lot of yarn... I had a couple projects going for some people for Christmas and then we had a falling out, so I just shoved the half done projects in with my yarn stash and have ignored it since. I need to get over that. Maybe just get rid of the yarn for those projects and keep the rest.

I had to do this with craft supplies. I have trouble going into craft stores and finding little baubles or ribbon on clearance, or in the dollar bins. I am also really bad about keeping tons of little odds and ends ie ribbon off a little gift so a few months back I went though everything, pulled out all the random foam stickers and pipe cleaners and Popsicle sticks and ribbon, things that I'll never use again (bought for a specific purpose or back when I was babysitting a lot in high school/college, sometimes I'd do crafts with the kids) and also all the extra tissue and crepe paper and things from making my wedding bouquet and boxed it all up and mailed it to my friend to who is a pre school teacher. Those kids love random art supplies :thumbsup2 Right now I'm currently focused on catching up my scrapbooking. I'm behind plus want to finally do our wedding scrapbook, and DH built me an amazing craft desk for Christmas. Now I just need a new chair because it's taller than the plywood on two shelves I was using as a desk :rolleyes: and it's too tall for your typical office chair, so mine doesn't work anymore.

I also have some yarn I need to sit down and make things with. A lot of yarn... I had a couple projects going for some people for Christmas and then we had a falling out, so I just shoved the half done projects in with my yarn stash and have ignored it since. I need to get over that. Maybe just get rid of the yarn for those projects and keep the rest.

I used to scrapbook in college. I actually worked at a scrapbook store on the weekends and pretty much my entire paycheck went to supplies. I did get a 40% discount so it was just money to fuel my hobby. I eventually got rid of all of the scrapbook stuff, mostly at garage sales, but eventually I gave away the last bit that was hanging around. I prefer quilting and sewing now. And I don't have much yarn because I don't knit or crochet. But my sister has an insane amount and she also used to dye and sell yarn, so she still have some undyed yarn inventory at my parents house. My dad once mentioned bringing it to me so that I could sell it off and keep the profit. I should ask him about that again. More money towards the trailer fund?

I'm the opposite of whatever an impulse buyer is. I will spend years debating to buy an item. Been looking at WDW spirit jerseys since August 2017. Still haven't bought one lol.

I do buy a lot of books, but usually from Goodwill or 2nd and Charles where they're used and discounted.
I'm a little like this. I debate even the stupidest purchases like household cleaners. However, doesn't mean I don't impulse buy, yes I do, when I think we "need" something. It's usually nothing outrageous though. But, usually that requires me to be in a store, and stores stress me out where I don't go often at all, so it's not too bad! I do a lot of wishful looking online through Amazon or other sites. I have a 2019 wish list on Amazon I haven't acted on yet. I also have wish lists not acted on from 2018, 2017, 2016, etc. Right now my Amazon list has bags in it I'm debating for Disney :rolleyes:

I used to scrapbook in college. I actually worked at a scrapbook store on the weekends and pretty much my entire paycheck went to supplies. I did get a 40% discount so it was just money to fuel my hobby. I eventually got rid of all of the scrapbook stuff, mostly at garage sales, but eventually I gave away the last bit that was hanging around. I prefer quilting and sewing now. And I don't have much yarn because I don't knit or crochet. But my sister has an insane amount and she also used to dye and sell yarn, so she still have some undyed yarn inventory at my parents house. My dad once mentioned bringing it to me so that I could sell it off and keep the profit. I should ask him about that again. More money towards the trailer fund?
I like it :) Maybe I should put up most of my yarn on FB marketplace and see... even just sell as a lot or two. I just do a tiny bit of knitting and crochet, self-taught. I'd like to get better. I've picked up a lot of scrapbook stuff at garage sales over the years :) Now I try to only shop with a purpose, like look for stickers that go with a current project. I rarely by the embellishments because I now have a whole collection. And since we all know everything is 50% off at Michaels and Hobby Lobby at least once a month, if it's not on sale when I go I make a note and then just wait for it. And actually Dollar Tree now has some nice stickers for scrapbooking. I don't shop for open stock paper anymore either. I just bought two big variety pads for cheap and called it a day haha. That stuff adds up wayyyy too quickly. I had a friend in high school who also scrapbooked (she actually got me into it and I lasted way longer than her) and her mom would take her to the specialty scrapbook stores at least once a month and buy whatever she wanted. I was super jealous because I only bought a handful of things from there ever and often they were from the sale corner. I couldn't afford a $3 sheet of paper when I only made $5.45 at my job! :laughing:

@pblack ShopDisney never sent my waffle maker or updated status. I waited 3.5 weeks (we were at WDW the past 10 days, so I was ok with waiting) and sent them an email last night. Today they responded that the waffle maker was cancelled due to it being OOS! Jeez, were they never going to mention that fact?! Under my order history it still shows as shipping in 2-3 weeks like it did before. Boo. I should have ate more Mickey waffles while at Disney!

Oh no!!! I had assumed you got it while on vacation. :( I'm so sorry that happened to you! I wonder why ShopDisney never let you know? I keep checking the website to see if the waffle maker pops back up since I know a few others are still wanting one (shughart and imbatman). I wonder if they will get them back in stock at all if they started cancelling orders.

I'm coming totally clean here. Because I couldn't say it out loud to anyone yet. (snipped)
You're amazing @Birdie dog! You can do this! And you can come here to come clean or vent or whatever. I have a less addictive need of the "what-if's." Like: What if I need to use this the next time the power goes out? What if this comes in handy with the garden? My inner pack rat is satisfied when I can pull out one of my what-if's. But, like you, I've been denying the purchases in favor of building up OUR FUND for the what-if's. I'm cheering for you!

@pblack ShopDisney never sent my waffle maker or updated status. I waited 3.5 weeks (we were at WDW the past 10 days, so I was ok with waiting) and sent them an email last night. Today they responded that the waffle maker was cancelled due to it being OOS! Jeez, were they never going to mention that fact?! Under my order history it still shows as shipping in 2-3 weeks like it did before. Boo. I should have ate more Mickey waffles while at Disney!
Wow, you are comitted to that waffle maker! :worship: Here's to hoping it comes back in stock for everyone that wants to make yummy Mickey waffles at home! ::MickeyMo
Um...I also checked and refreshed several times a day, as this was supposed to be my DD's graduation gift. I'm terribly sad that it is OOS. I've checked with Disney and they don't know if/when it'll be stocked again.

DH and I touched bases about the WDW trip and budget. We will be debt free (including the mortgage!), according to the snowball, in about 900 days. And we'll be in WDW in 988 days. This will help me to stay on target, as WDW and SWGE is the end game.

I just looked on ebay to see if anyone was re-selling the waffle maker for a relatively decent price and there's one that's going for $400 o_O:crazy2::eek: That's just bananas.

Well, gotta dig myself out of a $2000 hole and I have a month to do it. I'm trying to secure some overtime, but odds of that happening are pretty slim. A loan isn't an option and I don't have a credit card with enough of a limit to make that work either.

When it rains it pours.

I could never work in any type of retail because I know I would spend my entire check on stuff!

I get my Skechers at Ross usually. They almost always have my size since I wear a bigger size (10) then most women. I save a good amount that way and also my work gives us $150/year for shoes or pants.

Adding Ross to my list of errands this week!

Wow, you are comitted to that waffle maker! :worship: Here's to hoping it comes back in stock for everyone that wants to make yummy Mickey waffles at home! ::MickeyMo

Mickey Waffles are a pretty big obsession of mine. I eat them every Disney morning.

Right?!?! They must be some super dedicated people with a lot of extra discretionary money. I would never be able to justify spending that much on a waffle maker, mickey or not.
I mean. If i had that kind of money to spend....lol.

Well, gotta dig myself out of a $2000 hole and I have a month to do it. I'm trying to secure some overtime, but odds of that happening are pretty slim. A loan isn't an option and I don't have a credit card with enough of a limit to make that work either.

When it rains it pours.
Oh no! Whatever the issue is I hope you can find the $ you need somewhere and in time, or that the situation changes.

I got my raise information today, and it's a whole percent more than I expected! Which sounds a little silly, but I was worried that due to some nonsense at work that my management was going to act like they had moved heaven and earth to get me my raise amount, and it would be less than I've gotten previous years. So not only is it a percent more than I expected, it's also a percent higher than I've ever gotten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter