Debt Dumpers 2020

Tomorrow I am officially done paying off our cruise to Norway. :cool1:
Originally it was going to take until mid April but dh worked so much OT in Jan, that really pushed up the finish date. Since I still have 0% BT until July, I'm holding all the $ in an Ally savings account which I will pay in one lump sum at the end of June. Might as well earn a little something on it.
I did our fed taxes and we have to pay $372. Yeah, they can wait until April 15 for that. Still better than the thousands we had to pay last year. I haven't crunched the numbers for the state.

Sounds counter-productive but after all that OT, dh really wants a cruise. Just waiting to hear back that my time off is approved for late March. There's a 5-nt sailing from Miami that is a restricted fare: DCL's version of a last-minute sale in exchange for some atypical booking restrictions. We are ok with the terms; booked Norway that way too. It's great for a last minute escape. I book insurance just in case.

Next goals:
-Save up for 2021 Panama Canal cruise
-Pay back dh's slush fund $4k for $ we "borrowed" to help ds19 get a car
-Save $4k for Christmas 2020
-Save $5k for new bedroom furniture & mattress.
-Start saving for a truck for dh. This will prob take all of 2021.
-Attack our mortgage. If we were to skip the goals listed above, and put all our snowball on the mortgage, it would be gone in 2.5 yrs. No point in dreaming since I can't realistically skip all of that.
Having no mortgage would be a major source of savings. It will be so nice to pack that all into retirement funds and act like we are still paying it. :cloud9: Ah someday.... 8 yrs max but hopefully much sooner.

Wow, you have a very nice employer.

Yes, I do. But I realize I should have explained a bit more. My employer has over 5000 employees. 3 years ago my employer started a Catastrophic Leave Pool and I donated 2 days. I applied To the leave pool since this was my second major back surgery FMLA leave in 2019 and I had competedly exhausted all of my sick and vacation leave. But the Cat Leave Manager gets to decide who's situation was worthy, and I could not actually apply until all my leave was used up. Of the 150ish in my department, I was the first to apply to the leave pool, and we just really had no idea if I would be granted any, how much it would be, how long I would have to wait to find out, etc. It was stressful during the time I was out of leave and not sure yet if Cat Leave would be approved. I thought I would at most get one week, but I got two weeks. I was super grateful to get the days donated!

Went to tax appt. today, all done. We don't have state taxes, federal refund is 4414.00. Clearly we're doing something wrong to get that, but the amount of OT varies so our tax guy said not touch what we claim (0). Nice chunk to go towards debt. It does put us ahead of schedule paying off the last CC. Once the CC is gone, we'll tackle the mortgage & bump up savings. On track for savings for this year so far. Already have the money set aside for the trip to Seattle comic con in March (Ew, I turn 50 in March - I mean 25), we'll stay a week so we go before it starts & stay after it ends since we like the city. New room (after kicking out my addict bro, sad) is done: desk, recliner, TV, and air filter are in. Waiting for the media dresser I ordered to get the TV off the temp. stand. DS 24 is using the desk area as a leather working station, and has been busy on his Aquaman armor. Furbaby is pluggin' along (diagnosed with cancer Nov.), she is still pretty spry and happy. Not too much pain yet, but we're ready with meds just in case. I can't believe she'll be 17 March 17th! Even if she doesn't quite get there, she really is doing better than we thought she would. Thankful for that. Not sure if we'll take another trip this year, depends where we're at with goals and how much faster we want to meet them. Prayers to all going through a rough spot, this thread has a great bunch of people and loads of great, helpful info.!

My federal refund was already deposited yesterday. Only took a week since filing. I expect state to follow in a couple of days based on history. I am dropping a chunk of it on my car loan. So anxious to have that paid off (Planned for June) so I can move on to other goals.

Just finished my taxes and will get a state refund of $474 and owe federal $294, so +$180. I'm very happy that we were within a couple hundred dollars this year. Our only debt is a 15 year mortgage with 12 years left to pay. We'll continue to pay the minimum while cash flowing cars, vacations, home repairs, and kid's tuition. I never posted my 2020 yearly goals, so here goes.

Continue maxing out Roth IRA's $12K
Continue pre-tax 401K's $15K
Continue kids' ESA's $6K
Continue car savings $6K
Continue tuition $15K
Start vacation fund $5K
No new debt!

Yes, I do. But I realize I should have explained a bit more. My employer has over 5000 employees. 3 years ago my employer started a Catastrophic Leave Pool and I donated 2 days. I applied To the leave pool since this was my second major back surgery FMLA leave in 2019 and I had competedly exhausted all of my sick and vacation leave. But the Cat Leave Manager gets to decide who's situation was worthy, and I could not actually apply until all my leave was used up. Of the 150ish in my department, I was the first to apply to the leave pool, and we just really had no idea if I would be granted any, how much it would be, how long I would have to wait to find out, etc. It was stressful during the time I was out of leave and not sure yet if Cat Leave would be approved. I thought I would at most get one week, but I got two weeks. I was super grateful to get the days donated!
Sick leave pools are awesome. Years ago I was at a job where they had it, I had to donate three days. Then when I had my kids, I could pull from it (to a point; I don't remember how much it gave me) to use while on maternity leave. Well worth it.

Pupdate: She's home, they could not find anything wrong with her which is frustrating. They tested for Addison's Disease because last year it was shown she has smaller adrenal glands but they think it's unlikely. They didn't say this but it could just be old age. If it happens again all we can do is take her in. My husband ended up paying for it with a paid off credit card by mistake. I have two cards that look similar and he grabbed the wrong one. Here's our pups, Penny on the right is the trouble maker this time. Olive on the left is around the same age. They're bff's.

On the bright side with our tax refunds I did pay of one card totally and paid off what he spent at the vet so it's not all bad.

Last edited:
@stindall What cute doggos!!!

Filed taxes today (popular theme) using TurboTax. I know Credit Karma is free, but it makes me nervous using a credit monitoring company...

You know what's fun? Paying more for your car registration than last year and your car isn't any newer. :sad2:

And to update my goals:

Financial:
  1. Pay off Discover card. – on track to pay off in March
  2. Pay off Sapphire card. – That’ll be after Discover. (will post balance update later)
  3. Shift purchases to CC’s after balances are paid. – Using and old Disney Visa that is paid off every week.
  4. Continue Roth contributions. – Dropped to $25.
  5. Continue vacation fund. – $25/week and the small rewards from the Disney Visa will come in handy.
  6. Get that snowball spreadsheet updated and started. – still rolling.
Personal:
  1. Maintain weight. – dropped another pound. Yes, I've made a dr. appt.
  2. Finish two manuscripts. – funny thing...was contracted for a surprise project, then onto the two manuscripts
  3. Carve out family time. – January's was canceled due to busy schedules. :(
  4. Breathe. – Still reminding myself to quit clutching onto the things I cannot control.

I'm waiting to file my taxes. They are finished, but I'm waiting on the IRS to finalize one of the documents I need to file with. Oh, well.

It should be done next week, and then I can get it filed.

Still hanging out in limbo land on the VA front. No surprise there, the VSO just stepped in 2 days ago to have the exams pulled as insufficient. Or, that is my understanding as to what is happening. I'm filling in what I think is happening based on our conversations, but I'm not really sure exactly what is happening.

@stindall Those are some really cute puppies!!! (And I know they are full grown, but still). The one on the left looks like she has what I call "Dobby ears". My Ellie has those. They help make her face just so expressive!!

On a completely unrelated front, I have finally figured out just exactly what will always get my goat, regardless.

El Chupacabra. :rotfl2:

I'm waiting to file my taxes. They are finished, but I'm waiting on the IRS to finalize one of the documents I need to file with. Oh, well.

It should be done next week, and then I can get it filed.

Still hanging out in limbo land on the VA front. No surprise there, the VSO just stepped in 2 days ago to have the exams pulled as insufficient. Or, that is my understanding as to what is happening. I'm filling in what I think is happening based on our conversations, but I'm not really sure exactly what is happening.

@stindall Those are some really cute puppies!!! (And I know they are full grown, but still). The one on the left looks like she has what I call "Dobby ears". My Ellie has those. They help make her face just so expressive!!

On a completely unrelated front, I have finally figured out just exactly what will always get my goat, regardless.

El Chupacabra. :rotfl2:
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with the VA and it is so frustrating for you. We are currently in VA-hell with my Dad (a Vietnam vet) and the subpar care and just all around not giving a damn is infuriating. I mean, is it too much to ask them to call a patient who has lung cancer and inform him of his diagnosis within 5 days? I guess it is too much to ask, so my sister had to tell him. Where she works (she's an RN) patients are told within two hours if they have a cancer diagnosis. Thank god the VA doesn't do cancer treatments so he can go to a clinic/hospital of his choice ~ finally!

I hope you have better luck than we are having right now!

New goal: I'm screwed. Haha, seriously though, Disney just announced news about the Star Wars: Galactic Cruiser. Will start taking res. later this year?! Rumors are flying about the cost, could be anywhere from $4000 to $7000 for 3 people (I'm just throwing that out there, lol) for 2 days and 2 nights. Don't even know what's all included but I'm pretty sure it's going to cost almost as much as the rest of the vacation would. So I need to save double for my next DW visit. Yeah. Awesome.

Filed my taxes this morning. this is our first year filing married but filing separately to help with my student loan payment. My return has already been rejected twice by the IRS for the wrong AGI from 2018- It isn't wrong- I am taking it off last years taxes and it is the same one I put on my husbands taxes and his hasn't gotten rejected. Not sure what the issue with it is.

New goal: I'm screwed. Haha, seriously though, Disney just announced news about the Star Wars: Galactic Cruiser. Will start taking res. later this year?! Rumors are flying about the cost, could be anywhere from $4000 to $7000 for 3 people (I'm just throwing that out there, lol) for 2 days and 2 nights. Don't even know what's all included but I'm pretty sure it's going to cost almost as much as the rest of the vacation would. So I need to save double for my next DW visit. Yeah. Awesome.

I was reading something about there being activities at the hotel, so that it was almost an immersive event by itself for a day or two. So that $4k - $7k for 3 people may not be far off.

Whew! And I thought DCL was outrageous.
:faint:

Pupdate: She's home, they could not find anything wrong with her which is frustrating. They tested for Addison's Disease because last year it was shown she has smaller adrenal glands but they think it's unlikely. They didn't say this but it could just be old age. If it happens again all we can do is take her in. My husband ended up paying for it with a paid off credit card by mistake. I have two cards that look similar and he grabbed the wrong one. Here's our pups, Penny on the right is the trouble maker this time. Olive on the left is around the same age. They're bff's.
cute puppies!

What, that's the possible price projected for 2 nights?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter