December 2021 trip planning

Welsh_Dragon

Y Ddraig Goch
I may be jinxing it, but I am cautiously optimistic for December, so why not have a specific December trip planning thread?
I am at UOR 13 to 16, then WDW 16 to 30, with my two young adult children. Daughter who loves Disney and really gets into the spirit of things and son, who enjoys it, but doesn’t think it’s particularly cool (he probably thinks cool is a aged word too).
I made my park reservations with BGs in mind, so I am now a bit HS heavy. Usually by this time I have draft TPs ready to optimise and print, but at the moment they still show FP recommendations. I am relying on @lentesta to work quickly and update the plans shortly after Genie+ etc goes live. No pressure Len😉.
We are RDers and by following a TP usually manage to do our favourite rides standby and then ride again using FP, so I am not too concerned about Genie+. I wonder if Genie+ and paid LL are more important for people visiting for a few days, rather than the British 14 dayers?
I use a US TA (SWV) and she
had been brilliant booking and moving our reservation. Travelling LHR to MCO with BA.
Anyway, what are your plans so far? And who is the first to travel?

Last edited:
Great to see a UK planning thread, fingers, toes and Mickey Ears crossed that you make it.

Ive been watching a few Vlogs about Genie + As far as I can see it will create a touring plan for us. We put in our must dos, our would like to dos, any dining reservations etc and then it will calculate a touring plan for us, which will take into consideration location in the parks, wait times etc.

So far example, in Magic Kingdom, if your must dos are Haunted Mansion, Its a Small World and Buzz Lightyear, it will tell you to do Its a Small World, then Haunted Mansion then Buzz Lightyear, where as on your own without Genie+ , you might have done Its a Small World, Buzz Lightyear, and then Haunted Mansion.

Great to see a UK planning thread, fingers, toes and Mickey Ears crossed that you make it.

Ive been watching a few Vlogs about Genie + As far as I can see it will create a touring plan for us. We put in our must dos, our would like to dos, any dining reservations etc and then it will calculate a touring plan for us, which will take into consideration location in the parks, wait times etc.

So far example, in Magic Kingdom, if your must dos are Haunted Mansion, Its a Small World and Buzz Lightyear, it will tell you to do Its a Small World, then Haunted Mansion then Buzz Lightyear, where as on your own without Genie+ , you might have done Its a Small World, Buzz Lightyear, and then Haunted Mansion.
Now thanks to you 😉 I woke this morning with the following thought in my head. What will I do if TPs tells me to do one thing and Genie says something different? For me an easy answer: follow the tried and tested TP plans.

Now thanks to you 😉 I woke this morning with the following thought in my head. What will I do if TPs tells me to do one thing and Genie says something different? For me an easy answer: follow the tried and tested TP plans.

but isnt it amazing that we are back to talking about how to tour the parks and the order of rides, instead worrying about the cm's being out of work and the parks closed and will we ever be allowed into USA again.

For my son’s birthday we are planning to start the day at HS, and then have a bar crawl probably just around DS. Maybe starting with the martini flight at HBD before leaving HS. It’s a Sunday, so perhaps a late brunch at WBG, a champagne cocktail at the patisserie beginning with A, a beer flight at City Works, then JL Hanger Bar, bourbon at the Polite Pig and Moonshine at Chef Art. Perhaps end the night at the Rain Forest Cafe bar. Is there anywhere else we should try?

I havent been to it but I think the Coca Cola place has a rooftop seating area with nice views over Disney Springs, not sure if they have alcoholic beverages or not but probably!

Joining in!
I had all but given up on our December trip happening. Until I see the words in print that kids age 12+ are allowed in without being fully vaccinated, I don't think I will probably believe it!

We are flying LHR to MCO with Virgin on 19th December
19th - 23rd December staying at Hyatt place LBV
23rd December to 3rd January staying at OKW, then flying home.

I have the Premier inn booked for the night before we fly. PI were really good about refunding before, or if we can't go, I could always change the booking to a couple of nights in London which is our back up plan. Need to book car parking and do our ESTA's. Hadn't bothered before as I didn't want to lay out even more money, or waste our ESTA time!
ADR day for me next Saturday for 22/12 (our first Disney park day), and then on Sunday for the +10.

Keeping everything crossed it will actually happen.

My planning today has been moving my hair appointment so I can book Candlelight Processional on 26th October 😄 DH wasn't going to be able to check for it either and I would have been like a crazy person refreshing my phone at the hairdressers.

I have never been at Christmas before and probably wont get another opportunity so it is a bit of a must do for me!!

My planning today has been moving my hair appointment so I can book Candlelight Processional on 26th October 😄 DH wasn't going to be able to check for it either and I would have been like a crazy person refreshing my phone at the hairdressers.

I have never been at Christmas before and probably wont get another opportunity so it is a bit of a must do for me!!
Dec 2019 we really enjoyed touring the resorts and looking at the Christmas trees and gingerbread houses, but we never got to see the snow on Main Street, so I hope we manage that this time. Who are you hoping to hear at the Candlelight Processional?

I haven't seen anything about whether the gingerbread house is going to be at the GF this year. They would be starting construction by now I should think.

I am going from 2/12 to 17/12, 9 nights at SSR, 3 nights at the Hilton for Sea World and Discovery Cove and 2 nights Royal Pacific for Universal. I'm going for the first time in December and I cannot wait to see all decorations and Holidays shows.
I'm going with friends who get married just before we leave. This trip has been planned since the start of Covid and my friends had to delay their wedding twice in the meantime, so this trip ends being their honeymoon.
We've been very anxious about the closed borders and it's such a relief we can go. Still keeping fingers crossed about no surprise about vaccination requirements for children, but I doubt they'd block a 2 and a 5yo who cannot have a vaccine even in the US.

December this year will be our first Christmas trip (well, Christmas season), so we're thrilled that it's going ahead. We're heading to a Very Merry night and are weighing up a Christmas Processional dining package.

We're flying out on the 01 December from Manchester and coming back on the 15th, we're staying at Saratoga Springs for a few nights and then Riviera and the Poly.

We plan on mostly doing Disney, but with a day at IoA and a day at Universal Studios, because we have so many make up trips to not lose DVC points we'll actually be going 3 times in the next 12 months, so for that reason we've actually bought a Universal AP, much cheaper than buying the 14 day tickets, and only marginally more I think that buying single day tickets.

The only real negative is that ludicrous price of car hire currently, we've made the decision to only hire a car for part of our trip to get over to Universal and do some shopping and close out some of the Disney parks. Did the maths and this was slightly cheaper than Uber-ing everywhere!

December this year will be our first Christmas trip (well, Christmas season), so we're thrilled that it's going ahead. We're heading to a Very Merry night and are weighing up a Christmas Processional dining package.

We're flying out on the 01 December from Manchester and coming back on the 15th, we're staying at Saratoga Springs for a few nights and then Riviera and the Poly.

We plan on mostly doing Disney, but with a day at IoA and a day at Universal Studios, because we have so many make up trips to not lose DVC points we'll actually be going 3 times in the next 12 months, so for that reason we've actually bought a Universal AP, much cheaper than buying the 14 day tickets, and only marginally more I think that buying single day tickets.

The only real negative is that ludicrous price of car hire currently, we've made the decision to only hire a car for part of our trip to get over to Universal and do some shopping and close out some of the Disney parks. Did the maths and this was slightly cheaper than Uber-ing everywhere!
Usually the Universal photo people offer quite a cheap package to AP holders on Black Friday.
I have always hired a car, but a few times it has largely just say around gathering dust, so I am resisting this time. My son has mentioned a shopping trip but US designer clothes, sunglasses etc., are not the bargain that they once were and I find Lyft and Uber good value.

Dec 2019 we really enjoyed touring the resorts and looking at the Christmas trees and gingerbread houses, but we never got to see the snow on Main Street, so I hope we manage that this time. Who are you hoping to hear at the Candlelight Processional?

Yes, hoping to get around some of the resorts, will try and maybe make a middle of day ADR at some of them if we are having a break from parks. About 10 years ago we were there end of October early November and got to attend the first MVMCP that year and the Osborne Lights. We saw a few decorations going up and the gingerbread house at Grand Floridian was partially constructed when we left on 10th November. Glad we got to one of the parties though as this trip we arrive on the last day of the Xmas party so cant go!

We wont have a car but are staying at Coronado Springs and then hopefully Swan Reserve before finishing up at Hard Rock to see the very end of Universals Christmas offerings. That finishes 2nd Jan this year though, which is very early! I have always wanted to try NYE at Epcot so we are doing that and then going to Universal on 1st Jan. No intention of leaving Disney area except for trip up to Universal

Usually the Universal photo people offer quite a cheap package to AP holders on Black Friday.
I have always hired a car, but a few times it has largely just say around gathering dust, so I am resisting this time. My son has mentioned a shopping trip but US designer clothes, sunglasses etc., are not the bargain that they once were and I find Lyft and Uber good value.

Yeah, we went back and forth on the car many times, but we like the flexibility it gives and also since I use an electric scooter, the bus system at Disney is sometimes a bit tricky at park close etc.

Good tip on the AP photo pass, will keep an eye out around Black Friday.

I almost can’t believe that this is happening. I have booked flights and resorts, planned, booked FPs, APRs, APRs etc., so often and had to cancel that I didn’t allow myself to get excited for this trip. ADR day tomorrow so I need to have a final shuffle of the restaurants tonight.

I almost can’t believe that this is happening. I have booked flights and resorts, planned, booked FPs, APRs, APRs etc., so often and had to cancel that I didn’t allow myself to get excited for this trip. ADR day tomorrow so I need to have a final shuffle of the restaurants tonight.

Good luck with that, we had real issues with getting what we wanted!

Check out dis eat dot com, its a really useful tool, you can set up saved searches for reservations you want but that aren't available, and you'll get an email alert if any of them become available. We managed to snag a Space 220 againt all odds using it!

Putting aside the will we / won't we be able to travel as we have a teenager, is anyone else really nervous about the tests?
I'm honestly petrified one of us will test positive on the test 72 hrs before travel.
DH and I are both fully vaccinated, and we are waiting to hear from DD's school about when her vaccine will be.
It is assumed a supervised LF test will be required. I have looked at a few companies and breathe assured seem to be one of the better ones, as you can do multiple people's test on the one call, and you can have an appointment upto 10pm.

Unfortunately we cannot live like hermits for 10 days beforehand due to school and work - and I work in a school with lots of little germbugs lol!
The worry is putting a bit of a dampner on things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter