Decisions? Debating? Help me decide...San Juan to Galveston or Fort Lauderdale

danikoski

DIS Veteran
We are looking at going on a cruise next fall. There is a 6 night San Juan to Galveston with stops at Castaway and Lighthouse Point, or a 5 night from and to Fort Lauderdale with stops at Castaway, Nassau, Lighthouse Point. The 6 night, up front, is less expensive but costs of airfare and hotel would be more, which makes it about the same price as the 5 night. For the 6 night we'd be having our young elementary school aged child miss 8 days of school, whereas the 5 night, they'd miss 4 days. I'm torn as to which one to do. So looking for some opinions.

You didn’t say how old your child is or the ships…but here’s my perspective… we took 2nd grader out for 8 days to do 8 night out of San Juan with extra day in San Juan and it was amazing! Now that he’s a bit older, trying to miss less school.

But, I’d take the Dream over the Magic (I’m guessing on the ships).

You didn’t say how old your child is or the ships…but here’s my perspective… we took 2nd grader out for 8 days to do 8 night out of San Juan with extra day in San Juan and it was amazing! Now that he’s a bit older, trying to miss less school.

But, I’d take the Dream over the Magic (I’m guessing on the ships).
It's the Magic. My son will be 6. We did the Magic in September and my husband, who wasn't sure about cruising, loved it, and requested if we go next year to do the Magic.

I'd take the Magic over the Dream :) Fewer people at Castaway Cay and Lighthouse Point and the more days on the cruise the better :(
Both cruises are the Magic. My husband requested we so the Magic again. He really liked the size. To be fair, we've only done the Magic. I wouldn't mind doing the Dream, but I'd also like to experience Lighthouse Point with fewer people and these two cruises offer that.

We tend to go for the least amount of school days missed, but have a 6th grader and a 3rd grader. I compare the school calendar, the state/MAP testing schedule and the cruise schedule.

With a 6 yr old I wouldn't worry so much. Have them do some map reading on the ship and in the airport. Throw some educational apps on a tablet for the plane. Read for 10-15 mins a day.

It will be a longer trek from the port in Galveston to the airport than in Fort Lauderdale in case this influences your flights. We try to get home early enough that school and work are managable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter